Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anybody ever been on the Zofran pump?

So, I'm on the max dose of the Zofran tabs and still can't keep the nausea and vomiting at bay. The nurse at the OB's office brought up the Zofran pump today. I HATE needles so it's NOT my first choice. This is my 5th pregnancy and I have NEVER been this sick before! I don't know what to do. I haven't HAD to go to the ER for fluids or anything yet, but I HATE IVs so I probably should have gone, just haven't...I guess I want to know what your experience is? If the tabs didn't work for you, did the pump? Benefits? Drawbacks? Whatever you can share...feel free to!

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Would you be willing to do a week of vitamin b shots? That worked wonders! I also sucked on methyl b complex all day!

Good luck!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody ever been on the Zofran pump?

if you aren't getting to the IV stage of dehydration that is fab. I would stay away from the pump unless you are becoming dependent on IVs

the pump has it's own infection risks.

Can too much b vit be harmful? something I'd look into but B12 + unisom is it? works for some, but generally Zofran is the top of the anti emetics
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried anything besides zofran? Different things work for different people. Personally, I wouldn't get a pump until I'd tried other meds and combos first. I've been on oral zofran since 6 weeks, but thankfully the oral has been enough for me. A zofran pump is almost certainly going to mean regular colace and fiber too, because the constipation is terrible and can become dangerous. I really suggest www.helpher.org as a resource for treatment options.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have been on the pump with all 3 pregnancies. The needle is not that bad but hubby did it much better than I did. The constipation sucks so you do have to take colace but even the pills messed me up so it was no change. The pump may have infection risks but it is just like anything else medical...basic hygiene...

My biggest con were sore site spots. I had to change my site every twelve hours to keep it from hurting.

My body does not handle the ups and downs of the pills. I spent many days admitted in the hospital and this was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital...

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristy_1996 View Post
I have been on the pump with all 3 pregnancies. The needle is not that bad but hubby did it much better than I did. The constipation sucks so you do have to take colace but even the pills messed me up so it was no change. The pump may have infection risks but it is just like anything else medical...basic hygiene...

My biggest con were sore site spots. I had to change my site every twelve hours to keep it from hurting.

My body does not handle the ups and downs of the pills. I spent many days admitted in the hospital and this was the only thing that kept me out of the hospital...

As you had been admitted to hospital, I think it was a good choice in your case

Zofran wasn't covered by my insurance, sadly, I had ER docs give it to me, (THEN the insurance would cover it) sadly, I still required lots of IV's.

Hopefully you will turn the corner OP and the illness will subside a bit
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i was on it with my youngest. it wasnt ideal but it worked. it HURT though. every injection spot hurt for weeks after i moved it. ouch
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies...I have tried every med combo they have thrown at me plus som3 we have researched on our own...I am not planning to find into this...it is just hard being so sick. I have not been required to use the pump or iv rehydration yet but haven't really asked if I am required to yet...I have 4 other fairly young kids and I just feel like I am not me like this and it has been that way for over a month now just considering my options. Thanks for sharing. SH is afraid I am going to end up I'm the hospital and neither of us want that...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Monkeymamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am currently on the Zofran pump, I had one with my last pregnancy as well. I wish i had one with my first pregnancy, i was sick for the first 7 mos of my pregnancy and all they prescribed was the pills which i couldn't take because i couldn't keep a cap full of water down. I had Hyperemisis with every pregnancy including this one. So the pump is my best friend The needle isn't bad at all and as long as you have love handles on your belly side the sites aren't bothersome. It takes a week or so to get use to the whole sticking yourself,but it's so worth it. And you can soothe your injection sites with a cold compress. And you do get constipated but so do the pregnant women who are on the pill form. As long as you take a colace or miralax you will be fine. I take miralax every other day and it keeps me regular. But you can also just increase your fiber, most of us don't get enough to begin with lol So if your insurance covers it take advantage of the opportunity. In the words of my doctor "there is no need for you to suffer when relief is a pump away" Good luck, I hope i was helpful
I am a WOHM to JJ 10/3/06 and Jio 7/18/08 and a loving GF to Adam and #3 due in August
Monkeymamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thhsnks monkeymama...that is encouraging...I do fight with constipaton already since I am on the zofran pill but milk.of magnesia helps me...sh is out of town for the next week plus some and I dont know if I could stick myself...haven't heard from the Dr office today...not really sure if I want to call either though...