Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: 8yo with headaches/migraines

While talking about something unrelated with the nurse at the peds office, I mentioned the headaches again and she said I should get her a "real" eye exam just to rule it out.

So, I'm taking her to see an optometrist tomorrow morning.

FWIW, the hospital finally scheduled her to have a lactose intolerance test next week because she's had stomach issues (constipation/staying regular/pain) for quite some time. Probably totally unrelated but who knows.

Advertisement

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geez0pete View Post
Thanks for the replies. I never thought about food sensitivities. I wouldn't know where to even start. I could google and maybe find the most common ones. We already try not to eat too much processed food, and stay away from artificial dyes, flavors, and sweeteners.

She's had the eye test at school and the dr. office during her check-ups but she's always passed. I don't know how comprehensive it is, though.
I also passed those but have farsightedness. My son is the same way and migranes were the first clue. I would make an eye appointment.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
Aubrey<3Gavin
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by geez0pete
Thanks for the replies. I never thought about food sensitivities. I wouldn't know where to even start. I could google and maybe find the most common ones. We already try not to eat too much processed food, and stay away from artificial dyes, flavors, and sweeteners.

She's had the eye test at school and the dr. office during her check-ups but she's always passed. I don't know how comprehensive it is, though.
Start with a food journal. See if you can see any links. Glad you got her an eye doc appointment. Hopefully one of these two things is the issue and your little girl will feel better soon!

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

I'm an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner! http://www.kingdomkonsultant.com
Aubrey<3Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

too much computer screen time, caffeine, getting off her sleep schedule. I'd try to track what she eats, and what goes on during the day for a month. Its a pia but it could really help you find out what is triggering her migraines.

my fiance got migraines from dental issues.

Last edited by Suzi; 01-03-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My now 8 yo dd has had migraines for awhile now. Her ped gave me allergy meds for her that didn't help...took her off of them and did nothing more but she still has migraines and they are frequent and are bad sometimes with throwing up. I've tried to find a pediatric neurologist to get MRI or cat scan done but can't find one and Dr won't do anything...I don't know where to go from here so I wanna sub here for ideas...

Eyes have been tested and are great and dentist said all is good.

Last edited by suthrnmomto3; 01-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
suthrnmomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
littlesaurusrae
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi
too much computer screen time, caffeine, getting off her sleep schedule. I'd try to track what she eats, and what goes on during the day for a month. Its a pia but it could really help you find out what is triggering her migraines.

my fiance got migraines from dental issues.
What kind of dental issues? I think that could be causing some of my migraines definitely the ones I wake up with
littlesaurusrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
littlesaurusrae
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnmomto3
My now 8 yo dd has had migraines for awhile now. Her ped gave me allergy meds for her that didn't help...took her off of them and did nothing more but she still has migraines and they are frequent and are bad sometimes with throwing up. I've tried to find a pediatric neurologist to get MRI or cat scan done but can't find one and Dr won't do anything...I don't know where to go from here so I wanna sub here for ideas...

Eyes have been tested and are great and dentist said all is good.
When she gets sick, try turning the water on a light trickle while she's in the bathroom with the lights off. It helps me sometimes. The water gives me something to focus the pounding into and it soothes the pain a little bit.
littlesaurusrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

I've gotten them since the age if 7. Chiropractic care has def lessened mine. Mine are brought on by tension. Good luck momma!

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
lovebear
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by geez0pete View Post
My dd is has been getting headaches for a almost a couple years now and on at least two occasions I think she's had a migraine because she became nauseous and threw up. Over the summer she had a CT or MRI--I can't remember which one--that came out fine (whew! I didn't realized how worried I had been until we had to wait a couple days for the results). She also sees a chiropractor, which has helped, but not completely.
Maybe your DD got her headaches/migraines from the food that she eats. When you tested her for newborn screening, is there a particular food that she should never eat?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebear View Post
Maybe your DD got her headaches/migraines from the food that she eats. When you tested her for newborn screening, is there a particular food that she should never eat?
Hmm. I'm not sure what newborn screening (she's 8 years old now) you're referring to. I'm fairly certain they don't test for food allergies/sensitivities at birth. That would be big news to me if they did. lol

Last edited by geez0pete; 01-04-2013 at 08:18 AM.
geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote