Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pricing diapers: What you paid for it or what it's selling for now?

I'm curious how you decide what price to sell diapers. Do you take into account the price for which the diapers are currently selling? Or do you base your price on what you paid for it?

Example: I've been looking to get some more gmd fitteds. The white snap fitteds are on sale at gmd, but I'm seeing them listed used nearly at the same cost as I could buy them brand new with shipping. Do people really pay these prices for used?

Maybe I just don't get it, but why would anyone pay the same for something that has already been peed and pooped in as one that is brand new, fresh from the store? I can understand wanting to make up some of the cost of what you paid for it. Obviously if people continue to list diapers at these prices, it must be because others are willing to pay the price, right? Do buyers just not check the current price and assume they are getting a deal?

I'm sure this topic comes up often, but it still just blows my mind when I look at the marketplace and see some of the prices. As you can see from my ratings, I don't buy often from DS because I can usually find better prices elsewhere, though that's not saying there aren't good prices to be found here.

Advertisement

KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pricing diapers: What you paid for it or what it's selling for now?

You have to take into account what they are currently selling for.
As much as it sucks, if you paid a lot for something but that is no longer selling for that, you need to take that into account. I see some things on fsot that can vary greatly in asking price even though they look to be in the same condition, it just doesn't make sense.

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
bwsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When it comes to some items .. i would rather buy used only because its already prepped ..
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
chickabiddy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Used GMD fitteds are always priced high IMO. I priced mine only slightly lower than the average and they went in about 10 minutes.
chickabiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

First some don't have the time to spend researching every stores prices and may not realize a sale is going on

Second some people are listing to sell only at a set price or they are willing to keep the item.

And lastly, some diapers are hard to find and no longer made so people are willing to pay more for an already used diaper if its a style/fit they know.
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I take into acct what stuff is selling for now b/c once I list stuff I'd really like it to go. But, sometimes I don't have the time to do that research & just price it a bit less (or a lot less depending on condition) than what I paid.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
beginswithb
Registered Users
seller

I understand high prices on customs and hard to finds but I agree. I don't buy something used for the same price that I would new (and that goes for anything, not just diapers). I always look at the current going rates before selling and buying.
beginswithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always look around FSOT and will google the diaper to see what it's going for before shipping and try to price a little below that. It took me a month to sell 6 Snapless NB fitteds for $30 ppd (in EEEUC) so Im not sure how others are selling at $6+ a diaper and then adding shipping.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Currently selling mainly, if there are other things like what I want to list. I don't really expect a lot of revenue from my son's diaper stash -- maybe part of it but definitely not the whole stash.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote