Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
danimdel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So sad about adult tooth :(

I was helping dd brush her teeth this morning and found an adult tooth growing behind her bottom teeth. I am so upset. I had this happen and ended up need a ton of work done because my baby teeth wouldn't fall out and then there was not enough room for the other teeth to fit once they finally pulled them. The desist can see her next week and said this happens all the Tim I guess. So that is upsetting me but what is even sadder is that she JUST turned 5 on dec 18. Isn't this too soon? She is in still on preschool and I just wasn't prepared for this yet. She will look so different without her baby teeth . Did anyone else have kids get them this early? Am I a freak for being so upset about it?

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
thealmightyme
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did, and the two bottom center ones grew in behind. My Dentist pulled them, and they moved forward where they should go. I was blessed with straight teeth, so I never needed any work done.
thealmightyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: So sad about adult tooth :(

It is quite common for permanent teeth to grow in behind the baby teeth and then move up.

Also, average age for losing the first tooth is 5-7 yrs old.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This happened with DS1. We joked for a while about him being a shark with two rows of teeth and then his baby teeth did fall out all on their own. He's going to need braces, but that has to do with the fact that he has large teeth and a small mouth and not because his permanent teeth didn't come in right due to baby teeth.

Tooth placement is more genetic than anything. I had 4 adult teeth pulled in order to make room for straight permanent teeth. Wore braces and everything. Had straight teeth for a few years and then didn't wear my retainer properly. My teeth went right back to where genetics told them to be, even though my mouth wasn't crowded. I feel like a schmuck for wasting my father's money though.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My niece had her permenent teeth come in behind her baby teeth. I think they just let the baby ones come out (they were wiggly) but it's been almost 10 yrs so I could remember wrong.

Both my girls lost their first tooth shortly after they turned 5. Dd2 lost her first tooth 3 weeks after her 5th birthday. She turned 5 in August and is about to lose her 3rd tooth actually. Dd1 had lost 3 or 4 teeth before she ever turned 6 as well. Dd1 had her permanent teeth come in quickly once she lost her baby tooth. Dd2 lost her first tooth right at the beginning of Sept (fell out naturally - not pulled) and her permanent tooth didn't start popping through until the beginning of December. She sat with a big gap on the bottom for a long time (she lost her 2nd tooth down there early in November). One bottom tooth just started to make ab appearance last week.

I expect ds to start losing his teeth shortly after 5 at this rate too.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son's adult teeth didn't come in behind his baby teeth, but he did lose his first baby tooth before he turned 5. He lost the second one about a week after turning 5, and then lost two more during the summer when he was 5.5. He now just turned 6 and has two more loose teeth. I find that he does look different, but super cute still!
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
This happened with DS1. We joked for a while about him being a shark with two rows of teeth and then his baby teeth did fall out all on their own. He's going to need braces, but that has to do with the fact that he has large teeth and a small mouth and not because his permanent teeth didn't come in right due to baby teeth.

Tooth placement is more genetic than anything. I had 4 adult teeth pulled in order to make room for straight permanent teeth. Wore braces and everything. Had straight teeth for a few years and then didn't wear my retainer properly. My teeth went right back to where genetics told them to be, even though my mouth wasn't crowded. I feel like a schmuck for wasting my father's money though.
Have you read "nutrition and physical degeneration?" I thought tooth placement was genetic before I read that book. Rocked my world!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS's teeth are like that. His bottom two front teeth grew in and the baby teeth barely budged. We ended up having to have one of the baby teeth pulled...cost us $200! So when the second one popped up and the baby tooth wasn't moving I forced him to wiggle it loose! And then I pulled it out.

the first tooth moved in quite easily after the tooth was pulled. This second one is slowly moving in the right spot...however he has another tooth that is in the way that is keeping it from straightening up.

My sis's fil is a dentist and we saw him this weekend and he said it's very normal for that to happen. And no dental issues should arise from it. Just keep an eye on it and start having them wiggle the baby teeth that are in the way.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any personal experience with my kids since they are small still, but my brother's teeth would not fall out apparently and he had the adult ones coming in every which way. He ended up having numerous baby and adult teeth pulled to get braces, and he still has crooked teeth. Not sure if that could have been prevented, though. He got the nutritional short end of the stick (fifth child in 3 years since my mom had an unsuccessful twin pregnancy the year before my sister and I, she had nursed us for one year then was pregnant with him a few months later, then he didn't nurse much more than 7 months...), and I'm sure that affected his teeth.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Have you read "nutrition and physical degeneration?" I thought tooth placement was genetic before I read that book. Rocked my world!
I have not; however I am certain that my tooth placement is entirely genetic since my teeth assume the exact pattern that my mother's teeth do.