Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone cd without a washer & dryer?

We'll be moving soon to a new apartment complex and they have no w/d hook up. We had to sell our washer and dryer because they have a laundry room with a washer and dryer. My hubby is saying it would not be wise financially to keep cding. He thinks it will cost too much money to be washing every two to three days and having to pay to wash. I was thinking about maybe handwashing. I've sold off all of my pockets except 2-4 and have nothing but prefolds now. I wanted to get some Swaddlebees Simplex diapers. I figure if I had all natural fibers, it would be easier to handwash. I would hate to stop cding and sell off my stash. I plan on adding on to my stash eventually. I'm just wondering how many of ya'll cd without a washer and dryer and what do you all do?

Advertisement

lashon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cottonbabies owner did. :-)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone cd without a washer & dryer?

With handwashing the only thing I would do is flats. I personally love flats and would use them with no hesitation. I think if you rinsed and wet pailed then washed in the washer once a week it would be a great solution. Covers can be hand washed thoroughly in the sink and hung to dry. I handwash when on vacation or used a Laundromat and the prefolds and pockets were a huge pain. Took forever to dry. The flats were perfect, no stink, easy to use.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would stick to prefolds and/or flats - and covers. That is it.

I know there is at least one women here that does hand wash. She's posted before. There has been lots of diaper blogs that posted about hand washing after the hurricane. (like thirties blog and the diaper geek I believe)

I have also heard that the wonderwash or other hand crank washers do work for some people. Similar to hand washing in the bathtub but contained and without a plunger.

Good Luck!

With prefolds and flats you may be able to buy enough to do less washings in the washer --- even if you do handwash I imagine a good wash in the washing machine once a month or something might be nice.

I don't cloth diaper for financial reasons so stopping would not be an option for me.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok thanks for the advice.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This looks like it might be helpful.

http://www.theaccidentalwallflower.c...h-diapers.html
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's another blog post that goes into a lot of detail.

http://clothdiaperguru.wordpress.com...abin-giveaway/
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would ONLY handwash with flats and covers. I wouldn't do it with pockets or prefolds (maybe I would do it if I stuffed the pockets with flats, but I am not sure) Prefolds are waaaay too thick for me to feel like I could get them clean and waaay too thick for a reasonable dry time.

I have been using flats and covers for a few weeks with my toddler for his night time diaper. So, granted this is only 1 diaper a day and is only pee.

But, I hand rinse the flat each morning. Then, hang it on my laundry basket and launder it with my laundry. I hand wash the covers and line dry them. Its super duper simple. I am sure I could do this full time if I needed to. Flats can be thrown in with your regular laundry if needed.

Of course, it really depends on how committed to cloth you are, how committed your dh is, and what your reasons for cloth diapering are. Those are all HUGE factors in determining if you will do it or not.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
lashon20
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the websites, they are very helpful.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
mali
Registered
seller
seller

I use a Haier washer I connect to our kitchen sink and hang dry. I would hate to handwash, but this works really well for us.
mali is offline   Reply With Quote