Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
ssboden
Registered Users
seller
seller

White vinigar??

I don't know if I have hard water but I'm thinking I do. I put white vinigar in my clothes laundry it helps as a softener and for any oders bit can I do the same for my cloth diapers?? Please help also all my cotton all the sudden does not seem as soft is this to do with hard water

Advertisement

ssboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I use 1/4 cup white vinegar as fabric softener on my diapers. Works great.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Re: White vinigar??

I use it on mine. I have not had a problem.
cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
ssboden
Registered Users
seller
seller

Great thanks
ssboden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I use Fuzzibunz pocket diapers with microfiber inserts, and I was having stink issues (caused by the inserts) for the longest time. Mostly because I have an HE frontloader and a water softener. I tried many remedies, some worked a little, others not at all. The best, most effective remedy I discovered was soaking my inserts in a bucket with vinegar water. Not only do the diapers not have an odour anymore (when dirty) but they are also much softer. Vinegar works fantastic for softening and getting rid of odours. So it definitely works and is totally safe!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieMarieVDV View Post
I use Fuzzibunz pocket diapers with microfiber inserts, and I was having stink issues (caused by the inserts) for the longest time. Mostly because I have an HE frontloader and a water softener. I tried many remedies, some worked a little, others not at all. The best, most effective remedy I discovered was soaking my inserts in a bucket with vinegar water. Not only do the diapers not have an odour anymore (when dirty) but they are also much softer. Vinegar works fantastic for softening and getting rid of odours. So it definitely works and is totally safe!
It is totally safe for the inserts as is non-toxic...but I would use it to soak inserts and not use it as a generally laundry additive or soak because it really ruins elastic fast. So if you are a pocket diaper user, I wouldn't add it to an entire load with the covers too. If you use prefolds or flats then I would try it because depending on your water content, it can be very helpful.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
It is totally safe for the inserts as is non-toxic...but I would use it to soak inserts and not use it as a generally laundry additive or soak because it really ruins elastic fast. So if you are a pocket diaper user, I wouldn't add it to an entire load with the covers too. If you use prefolds or flats then I would try it because depending on your water content, it can be very helpful.
You're definitely right that the acidity will ruin the elastics. Thanks for bringing that up. I guess I should say I soak my inserts in vinegar water but not the covers. I usually do a rinse with just the inserts before adding my covers to the machine as well. So ya good point, I would be careful in using it if your dipes have elastics.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

We have SUPER hard water (like, when it comes out of the tap, you can see the minerals in the water!) and when we first moved here, after a few washes my diapers (and clothing and towels!!) were really hard and rough feeling. SO now I add a splash of white vinegar to every cycle in both my washer and my dishwasher - totally cleared up the issue! I've used both pockets and fitteds in this house so far and it worked well on both!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
beginswithb
Registered Users
seller

I love adding vinegar to the first rinse cycle.
beginswithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
leftshoe2
Registered Users
seller

I add 1/2 cup to my rinse cycle as well... especially if they have sat for more than an hour before the last rinse
leftshoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote