Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
swedishmermaid
Registered Users
seller

Need help with my softbums...

Hi folks!

I am using CDs on my 2 week old boy and have a variety of diapers. I really like the softbums, and want to love them - so soft and I love how they really are one-size, they're not giant on him!

However, I'm having a hard time keeping messy EBF poop on just the insert. It always squeaks onto the cover, then I need to wash them both anyway (kind of defeats the purpose of the AI2 system).

Does anyone have any tricks to keep the poop just on the insert? I only have 5 covers so can't use them full time...thanks!

Advertisement

swedishmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
kefm
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help with my softbums...

I haven't used my Softbums on an infant (though I have one on the way!), but I've read that this is one of the biggest downsides to the Softbums, that EBF poop gets on the cover and requires frequent washing so you can't reuse the covers as frequently as you can when the baby gets older. I think there are some threads where people tried prefolds instead of mini pods. I rented some KL0 fitteds, and I'm hoping that they won't be huge under the Softbums and I'll be able to use them together, which would contain the messes a bit better (and result in less laundry wear and tear on my shells).
kefm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The glory of an AI2 system is for when baby only poos once or twice a day. Think about it this way - if you were using a pocket diaper, you would change the whole diaper regardless of the baby pooing or not. If baby only pees, then you only have to change the insert, using the cover multiple times. With a newborn, they poop so often that you don't get the benefit until they're just a bit older.

I hear this complaint with AI2s a lot, poop getting on the cover, but you have to compare them to Ai1s or pockets. I don't know why people expect it to contain poop when the insert is flat...
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
swedishmermaid
Registered Users
seller

Well, that's how they market it. They even had a newborn package with 20 or 24 mini pods and just a few covers. This is baby number three for me, so I'm not surprised by it, but was hoping to hear from someone that had ideas or tricks that worked for them. My baby is just about 10 lbs, so he's in that weird in between phase where the NB diapers are getting small on him, but the BGs I have - 4.0 and elementals - are still pretty bulky. I'm just not a prefold girl, so I guess we'll be in the BGEs until he starts pooing less frequently. Thanks anyway!
swedishmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ah, I bought them before they had the packages available and didn't realise that they marketed them that way. Yeah, I don't see how you could avoid poo getting on the cover, especially with EBF poo.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
ballerina
Registered Users

We didn't avoid poo on the covers when my little girl was a newborn but still loved softbums! I used trifolded newborn prefolds as inserts I guess sometimes it did contain it.. It was pretty bulky but didn't really matter at home... We are seeing the benefit of the ai2 system now that she poos less often
ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
vstewart
Registered Users

I think you'll get poo on the covers until solid foods change the consistency. Until then, I think you're stuck changing the covers too. We have the same problem but right now, I save the SB mostly for the diaper bag until DD is older and I can re-use the shells more during the day.
vstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a good friend that exclusively used Softbums for her Newborn, I will email her this thread. I know she is on DS, but not frequently.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
RunAroundSue
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, regardless of how they're marketing, until you start solids, you're pretty much gonna have to change shells every poopy diaper. When my little man was super little (under 1 month) and he had poo in nearly every diaper, it was always such a small amount, it usually stayed on the pod. Once he grew big enough for those big poos though, forget about it. I was just happy the poo was always contained! I did use fleece liners cut from remnants at the fabric store when we were still using vaseline on him. Sometimes this contained the poo from going on the shells. You could always try to cut some a little wider than the pod, see if that does it some of the time. We just started solids last week, and for the first time are able to re-use "poopy" shells, as it's not going everywhere anymore. Check out the BST boards, alot of times you can pick up GUC shells for under $15ppd.
RunAroundSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
mamaspice
Registered Users

I don't see a way of using them exclusively with your newbie unless you add something to your stash.

You could add a few more covers, more Softbums or something less expensive like Bummis or Proraps to use with the inserts you have until poo is less frequent.

Or you could put something under them that wraps around baby. If you don't like prefolds you might like an inexpensive fitted like the GMD Workhorses with snaps- their original version is on a closeout sale.

You could start rotating in the bgs as covers or with the nb insert. There are a couple of ways to make those fit a newbie better:

1) After fastening, reach in and grab the front corners of the diaper. Pull them up and out of the waistband to tighten up the legs. (This should work for elementals too.)

2) for a tiny baby you can roll the waistband twice in the back before fastening to shorten the rise.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote