Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Sleep routine suggestions for almost 5yo

So my oldest daughter is terrified of going to sleep. We've tried several things and I've posted on here before.

We've always read her 3 stories before bed and when she was smaller shed fall asleep while we read, but not anymore. For a while my DH or I would lay with her in bed until she fell asleep, but that stopped working (she would wiggle and refuse to go to sleep and it would end up being a 2 hour ordeal). So now we are just sitting in her room---but it's about the same---a 2 hour ordeal and my DH says he's done. Bedtime has become such a stressful time in our house and we both dread it.

So---part of the problem (we think) is we cosleep with her sister because I'm nursing still. I think she's jealous that we all sleep together and she sleeps alone---which I get but she's too wiggly to sleep with (we've tried) and no one ends up sleeping. It's best if she sleeps alone in her own bed because we all get more sleep. We've tried letting her sleep in her old toddler bed in our bedroom but she wakes up when the baby wakes up and doesn't get much sleep.

Also, maybe she considers this her 1:1 time. It certainly isn't positive attention (please stop wiggling and go to sleep. I'm going to leave the room if you can't stop wiggling. Close your eyes.). However, I know some kids don't care. My dH and I both hate this because it is such a negative interaction and we don't want that bad experience with her nightly.

So I'm trying to find gentle ways to get her to fall asleep quicker. I know she's exhausted because she doesn't nap, wakes up super early and is grouchy at 5. Her bedtime is 7:30.

Right now I'm thinking I will have a 20-30 minute play time in her room before bed. Where we do puzzles or play board games before we read to her. Try to make bedtime more positive and give her that needed 1:1 time with Dad. Also, maybe setting a limit on how long we stay in the room. 15-20 minutes. Then we will come and check on her every 5?

We don't want to let her cry it out because she is very strong willed and I can guarantee she will be up until 2-3 am. No one will sleep and we aren't a CIO family anyway.

Suggestions or BTdt?

Advertisement

FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleep routine suggestions for almost 5yo

Why is she terrified of going to sleep?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
Why is she terrified of going to sleep?
I wish I knew. She just hates bedtime and fights it with all she has. She complains about hating going to sleep. It is boring. She doesn't want to sleep.....she has better things to do.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I would give her meletonin so she is too tired to fight you and do not stay in her room. If you need to stay, do not talk to her. If she gets in a nonsleeping position then simply lay her back down with no talking.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I would give her meletonin so she is too tired to fight you and do not stay in her room. If you need to stay, do not talk to her. If she gets in a nonsleeping position then simply lay her back down with no talking.
Ill talk to our ped about that. Thanks for the advice. My DH jokes about giving her a Benadryl cocktail at night.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I would. Sometimes it is enough to reset them so they fall alseep for you with less drama. Our kids had to be on it and it worked well.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
I would. Sometimes it is enough to reset them so they fall alseep for you with less drama. Our kids had to be on it and it worked well.
Thanks. How old were they and is there a dosage for kids? I took it in high school, but that was an adult dosage.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi Health sells liquid melatonin so you can adjust the dosage.

I agree with the "stop staying in her room" advice. Discuss it with her first. Tell her that "Starting Friday (or whatever day you choose) We will start a new bedtime routine, and it will be... (whatever you have chosen) and then we will kiss you goodnight, you can look at books, play with a few toys, listen to a story on cd..whatever, but you need to stay in your bed".

Maybe offer her a later bedtime..ya know..since she's getting older.

Then bribe her. Pay her some insane amount of money for each night she stays in her bed, and when she's earned $20 (or something) she can spend it on toys...then the money stops after $20.

I bribed my daughter at the age of three to give up her pacifiers. I paid her $40 for a new bike..but, she chose a set of baby doll triplets in a backpack instead. Best $40 ever. (but, I did want her to get a bike... oh well)

I don't suggest going to bed until you know she's asleep though. Stay up and watch tv in the other room, or fold laundry within earshot of her so she knows you didn't all just go to bed. There's nothing worse than being the only person in the house that is still awake.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 01-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS was this way. He turned 6 in July, and that was our cut off. I couldn't sleep with him anymore, it just wasn't working and I was getting NO sleep. We ended up trying everything...soothing music in the CD player, giving him a nightlight and books, lavender scented stuff lol, everything. What ended up working, I feel was a combination of things. One was persistence. He would come in our room a few times a night, DH would walk him back, tuck him in and tell him he'd check on him in 5 minutes. Most of the time, he was asleep before DH went back. Also, my grandmother bought him a DreamLite (another option is a Twilight Turtle). That to me seemed like the biggest help. It wasn't so bright that it kept him up, but it gave him something to look at, and lit up the room enough that he wasn't afraid. Also, instead of laying with him in the bed, DH/I moved to the floor. We stay until he's asleep, and he knows we're close, but not being IN his bed, with him cuddled up against us since moving would wake him instantly. Eventually, we'll move to sitting outside the door, and then just coming to check on him every 10-15 minutes, but right now it works for us and we don't mind the few minutes of downtime.

My good friend's little boy was a horrendous sleeper...they finally got him in to the ped and he diagnosed him with SPD. He was just so busy that he literally could not sleep. They were going on 2 hours of sleep a night. The therapist recommended a weighted blanket, which my friend found a tutorial for online and was able to do, which helped a lot.

I hope you can glean something of help from all my ramblings
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also, look at some of those Uncle Milton "in my room" lights and maybe there's something that would make her room more magical. Rearrange her room so it's a new beginning. Place the bed so she can see out the door. ETC.