Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Derby_Mama
Registered Users

Membrane Sweep?

I am due in 4 days

Today at my OB appointment he swept my membranes..should I expect anything? He said we'd do it again in a week if i'm still pregnant..

Anybody have any experiences with this? Last time I had to be induced trying to avoid it this time.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Membrane Sweep?

If your favorable to labor it can help sometimes it doesn't
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doctor did that with my last child. I was to be induced the next day, but he said 'maybe we will see you tonight'....sure enough, it started my labor and I had my baby that night Good luck, Mama!
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had two sweeps before having to schedule my 2nd induction for uncontrollable BP issues - gave me cramps and then consistent contractions for quite a few hours and then..... nothing...
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I had the mac daddy of all contractions right there on the table, went home with occasional contractions and had the baby 18 hours later.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't like membrane sweeps. If your baby isn't in a good position but you're close to labor it can give you contractions that will just tire you out and set in motion things that you don't want, like water breaking before labor, which puts you on the clock and the road to interventions that increase risk of all kinds of complications.

Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but they really don't help if you're not ready, and I know people who have had very bad births (of their own admission, not my words) after doing membrane sweeps.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
I don't like membrane sweeps. If your baby isn't in a good position but you're close to labor it can give you contractions that will just tire you out and set in motion things that you don't want, like water breaking before labor, which puts you on the clock and the road to interventions that increase risk of all kinds of complications.

Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but they really don't help if you're not ready, and I know people who have had very bad births (of their own admission, not my words) after doing membrane sweeps.
This is how I feel.

If your body is ready to go, it could help. If your body isn't ready to go, then it either won't do anything or it could cause problems.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its not worth the pain! Only reason my midwife did a sweep on me was because my water broke and I had some scar tissue.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

Same here. I asked my OB when I was a few days before my due date with DS and she didn't recommend it. She said it hurts and frequently does nothing to get labor started properly. She said that baby would come at the right time and I went on my own several days later.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

I had sweeps done every week after 36wks with my last pregnancy. They didn't hurt just uncomfortable. The last one, 39wks+4, hurt pretty bad which is when I went into labor that night.
Like others have said, they don't work unless your body is ready.