Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
General anesthesia for filling cavities

So we took my ds ( 21 months )to the dentist today and he has 2 cavities one is not bad just needs to be filled but the other one she wants to crown. I'm so upset because I brush his teeth twice a day and floss them. The dentist said its because I'm still nursing him and mostly because he nurses at night. She told me I needed to wean him and I basically said that's not happening! Anyway she gave us two options 1. Nitrous oxide and restraining him or 2. GA, Im not going to do option 1 and have him traumatized forever but option 2 makes me very nervous/scared so have any of you mamas ever put your toddlers under GA for dental work? Experiences? TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by Kmccall08; 01-03-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Kmccall08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: General anesthesia for filling cavities

Last year my then 3.5 yo DS2 was sedated and given gas. I was with him the entire time and he did great. The mess made him very cooperative. The dentist told him to close his eyes (so he wouldn't see the needle) and he just did. The extraction process was harder for me to watch than for him to experience.

ETA: DS1 had his first cavity filled around that same age. We started at one dentist, he had the novo wine shot, and was dead but completely freaked out. We took him from there straight to a pediatric dentist where he just got gas and was fine. No issues from being traumatized after either.

Last edited by mcpforever; 01-03-2013 at 05:02 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Are you sure it's general anesthesia? They only do sedation for things like MRIs and CTs so I would think that would be adequate...?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

I did. For my oldest. After we tried option one and she freaked out so hard she threw up
We switched dentists. It went well
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Are you sure it's general anesthesia? They only do sedation for things like MRIs and CTs so I would think that would be adequate...?
Im positive they would be doing it at our local childrens hospitak
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
are you sure about this?

My son with medical needs has had to be put under general for those things and we had very good doctors working with him that wouldn't have just had him put under general for fun.
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd get a second opinion. We were told the same for our ds, and went to a pediatric dentist. she was able to fill one without any anesthesia, and the other two she applied a coating which she said should buy us more time(until he gets older and is better able to handle gas, etc) took 5 mins, and my ds didn't even flinch.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
I'd get a second opinion. We were told the same for our ds, and went to a pediatric dentist. she was able to fill one without any anesthesia, and the other two she applied a coating which she said should buy us more time(until he gets older and is better able to handle gas, etc) took 5 mins, and my ds didn't even flinch.
I actually knew he had one of the cavities i can see it, it looks pretty bad :/ and we did go to a pediatric dentist we were reffered to her and she was awesome as well as her staff
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My kids have had general (at the hospital) for dental work. It was over quick and there were no issues at all.

That said I wouldn't do it for 2 teeth (even a baby root canal)

My 7 year old had all her molars capped and pulpotomies done because she has neurological condition that makes her vomit for days on end and the vomit ruined her teeth by age 2.5. The only way for it to get done quickly was under general. It took an hour and she was running around by the end of the day. The other was my 5 year old who needed a root canal but vomited even with an X-ray every single time, so getting in her mouth even with gas(which we tried) wasn't happening. Hers took 35 min (1 extraction, 1 root canal/crown and a few cavities filled)

If it is done in hospital with a pediatric anesthesiologist then I wouldn't worry if that is what they are recommending.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
My kids have had general (at the hospital) for dental work. It was over quick and there were no issues at all.

That said I wouldn't do it for 2 teeth (even a baby root canal)

My 7 year old had all her molars capped and pulpotomies done because she has neurological condition that makes her vomit for days on end and the vomit ruined her teeth by age 2.5. The only way for it to get done quickly was under general. It took an hour and she was running around by the end of the day. The other was my 5 year old who needed a root canal but vomited even with an X-ray every single time, so getting in her mouth even with gas(which we tried) wasn't happening. Hers took 35 min (1 extraction, 1 root canal/crown and a few cavities filled)

If it is done in hospital with a pediatric anesthesiologist then I wouldn't worry if that is what they are recommending.
so since its just 2 teeth you think i should try the gas ?