Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

I used to be a dental assistant and partially worked in the pediatric clinic, you can always try and see if nitrous works first and if not then go GA. Some kids really tolerate it well with nitrous but some don't.

Eta: me personally, if DS had two teeth to work on I would go nitrous first or sometimes they do oral sedation and give the kid something to drink. If it was a whole bunch of teeth or your kid had a condition where they wouldn't tolerate being in the chair well or for very long, I would go the route of GA.

Advertisement

Last edited by BubBubsMom; 01-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.
BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: General anesthesia for filling cavities

We did GA for our 3.5yr old, but she needed extensive work. We tried the gas first and the peds dentist we use told us DD fought it harder than any kid she had ever seen. Plus, it would have taken 7 separate visits to get it all done. She did fine under GA and herself, with no more pain, the next day. She was under for over three hours, so that's why it took 24 hours for her to be back to normal.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmccall08

so since its just 2 teeth you think i should try the gas ?
I would. Gas didnt work for 2 of my kids. Didnt even affect them.

You can also ask for oral sedation (versed I think). Makes them sleepy (done in office) but relaxes them.

But if gas didnt work I would do the GA in hospital/surgery center. Cavities grow, infection is miserable and painful and it will cost more in the long run.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I'd try the gas. Ds did very well with the gas. Didn't even know he got a shot which was the part I was worried about most. I thought he'd freak when he saw the needle but he didn't even notice. He had to have a tooth pulled and the only pain he felt was the when they actually pulled the tooth and it was over in a second. In my experience, ped dentists are awesome. They really know all the tricks for kids. Plus you can be in the room with them.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our pediatric dentist does in-office sedation with an anesthesiologist. We've (unfortunately) had to do this a few times, starting when my oldest was 18 mos and broke his 2 front teeth. We did try the gas and the oral sedation meds first and neither of those worked. The sedation in the office was a life saver.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

We had both gas and GA. For 4 extractions we did gas and it was fast. I sat with him on my lap and the gas was near his face. He fell alseep fast and it was done within seconds. For fillings and his crown we had to do GA. That was also easy. They gave him gas and then did the IV. He came out of it just fine. He also had a testicle descended at the same time so was in for awhile. He was the same age as your DS.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yep. My four-year-old had general for dentistry. He had 8 cavities, six of which they put in stainless steel caps. He was out for about an hour. But for two, I would definitely try gas first. I almost did with him, but they said it would be four visits and really strongly suggested against it, so as not to ruin his happy attitude toward dentistry. He did fine. So if you have to go that route, it's not the end of the world, but for that I'd definitely try in office first! Good luck! It's so hard to make these parenting decisions! I agonized over this topic for months. It was hard.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamas it def is a tough decision as a parent but i think most of you voted i should try the gas first since its just 2 teeth i think i will try it first
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Emma is going under in the end of Jan...she has 6 cavities....the Dr. said we could try in office with a demoral coctail (demoral and phenegran) and gas...but they charge $285 for that and if it doesn't work or she cries AT ALL then we still have to pay for it AND the will require us to do it at the hospital needless to say I felt pressured....but this is our only option and DH didn't want to go 2 hrs away to do it, in case there were any problems. The hospital charge is $2000 for anesthesia plus $250 for the dental work, plus $300 for the "dentist travel fee"

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son almost died after anesthesia, so my vote is gas. 5 hours later, he crashed twice and had to be resuscitated. He had difficulty maintaining his oxygen after the procedure (tonsils and adenoids, so about 20 minutes) but we were out of recovery and up in our room when it happened. He hit 32 on the monitors the first time, and 8 the second. He ended up in-patient for a week and on oxygen/monitor while sleeping for three months after. It was a freak reaction, and his 5th time under general, so no one can explain why it happened.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote