Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Antibiotics

I really wanted this pregnancy to be medicine free. However I had to give up that hope at 11 weeks I had a double bladder infection so I was put on antibiotics. Then around 19.5 weeks I had a sinus infection that flared up my asthma and went on antibiotics again. The problem is I'm sick again (27 weeks), I'm going to my Fam dr tomorrow for something different but I think when she hears me coughing she will want me on antibiotics again :/ I've been sick for almost a week and my chest sounds horrible. I'm not getting better.

The idea of taking antibiotics for a third time makes me uncomfortable. However I don't want to end up with pneumonia because I didn't treat it now.

Has anyone taken antibiotics for an extended period of time or multiple times in one pregnancy? This is the third time I've been sick in a month and a half. I think the antibiotics I took around 19 weeks didn't kick it completely and it came back with a vengeance. This third time was worse than the second time. I'm thinking I would need a month of antibiotics to really kick it and that makes me even more uncomfortable.

Also, does anyone know of side affects from having too many antibiotics in a pregnancy?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Forgot to add that if you know of a safe way to naturally treat it please let me know! It's in my sinuses and bad chest congestion. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Antibiotics

It sounds like you may need steroids to kick the inflammation. I had a UTI and kidney stones around 8 weeks. The I had bronchitis at 14 weeks and had to take antibiotics. It didn't get rid of it and it got BAD. I have asthma as well. I was proscribed Pulmicort which is a cortico steroid that is inhaled. It was gone in a week. I haven't had to use any inhalers since. Sometimes things can't be helped and you have to do what you have to do.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are lots of things you can try. I personally wouldn't take antibiotics for a cough/cold. It may be a virus and not at all treatable by the antibiotics. Some things to try-
natural vitamin C
Elderberry extract/syrup
Probiotics
Zinc
Fermented foods
Coconut oil
Garlic
Vitamins D and A (not synthetic, though).
Or, all of them together. I would definitely try that stuff before antibiotics again. If you haven't already, I'd be eating fermented foods like kefir, yogurt, real pickles and saurkraut, etc. All of those help to normalize your intestinal flora and that strengthens your immune system naturally.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2
It sounds like you may need steroids to kick the inflammation. I had a UTI and kidney stones around 8 weeks. The I had bronchitis at 14 weeks and had to take antibiotics. It didn't get rid of it and it got BAD. I have asthma as well. I was proscribed Pulmicort which is a cortico steroid that is inhaled. It was gone in a week. I haven't had to use any inhalers since. Sometimes things can't be helped and you have to do what you have to do.
With my sinus infection she put my on the orange steroid inhaler (I think it was Flovent). That help amazingly with my asthma. I didn't think of trying that again because of me coughing and there being inflammation. She had me on it for just two weeks. My asthma isn't flaring as badly but I'm thinking its just a matter of time.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm almost 19 weeks and have been fighting a sinus infection for almost a month. I've been doing hot saline water in the neti pot and it seems to be helping.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
There are lots of things you can try. I personally wouldn't take antibiotics for a cough/cold. It may be a virus and not at all treatable by the antibiotics. Some things to try-
natural vitamin C
Elderberry extract/syrup
Probiotics
Zinc
Fermented foods
Coconut oil
Garlic
Vitamins D and A (not synthetic, though).
Or, all of them together. I would definitely try that stuff before antibiotics again. If you haven't already, I'd be eating fermented foods like kefir, yogurt, real pickles and saurkraut, etc. All of those help to normalize your intestinal flora and that strengthens your immune system naturally.
I'm pretty sure I'm past the cough/cold stage. I get sinus infections regularly. this one started in my sinuses and quickly moved to my chest. I'm pretty sure I have at least an upper respiratory infection. I will try some of the things on your list. I think I might take the script for the antibiotic if she thinks that what I need with the agreement that after another week if I'm not better I will start it. Until then I'll continue to try natural stuff (unless my asthma flares up then i will start the antibiotics sooner) currently I've been taking honey (I just got raw though) and cinnamon in hot water.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2
I'm almost 19 weeks and have been fighting a sinus infection for almost a month. I've been doing hot saline water in the neti pot and it seems to be helping.
I have one of those and need to start using it!! It's so simple but for some reason I always put it off lol
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1984 View Post
I have one of those and need to start using it!! It's so simple but for some reason I always put it off lol
I absolutely HATE it, but it made me feel so much better yesterday. I used distilled water and used it as warm as I could stand it. I used the saline pack that came with the neti pot. I was surprised at how much it really did help though. Just a warning though, if you have a blockage...stop and try some warm steam to loosen it. I also put a tiny dab of Vicks baby chest rub on my upper lip just under my nose, to help open me up.
EVERYTIME I get sick I get an upper respiratory infection. Sometimes it goes away on it's own, but most of the time I have to have medical intervention. I've tried to stay home as much as possible to keep from being exposed to sickies...but it's pretty useless when I have kids in elementary school.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

You sound like me I am having problems with this pregnancy too and hate to be on medication!

My doctor said that antibiotics are a Class B drug and he would not rate city water at a Class B Luckly we have a well, but it made me feel better! I hope you feel better!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote