Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not a big deal. I think doulas personality is number one then followed by knowledge.

I had 2 midwives (they worked as a team) one was a mother to 4 kids the other was childless and single. During all my prenatals I clicked with the mother more but in labor the other one was SO calming. She was the better "doula" to me without having given birth.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Doesn't bother me and a Doula, Midwife, Ob or LC without kids can be just as good or better. My MW has never had kids and she is still educated and sympathetic.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What do you think of a doula who has never given birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
Part of my aversion to her as an LC is that sometimes she tried to teach me things..... she's as educated on the subject (at this point) as I am except I've nursed 2 kids.... I mean.... the research she's done so far were from books I lent her. So this may color my thoughts.
I can certainly understand that. I have no real contribution to this thread except to say that in some places NUNS have been the real care providers for pregnant women. If they have a passion for life and put in the hours, they might just be superb despite their apparent lack of familiarity with all pertinent areas. So yes, childless women have proven their mettle before.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was looking for a doula this time, I met one that didn't have any children. I chose not to use her, partly because of that.

I'm sure she could do a fine job in either role, but I probably would not choose her unless she had already attended many births. Of course, people have to choose you in order to attend them. It's a catch 22.

I wish her luck though! I'd love to do either one of those.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My midwife had never had children and when we were having issues with supply.... Or thought we were... It would have been nice if she had known it was a normal growth spurt as opposed to prescribing me drugs and telling me to pump.

That's different, of course... But it makes me feel so good to hear all the breastfeeding issues my doula had... Not that I would wish that on anyone ... But that she knows it can be hard and she's had to try lots of things. I don't know if I could be as comfortable with someone who didn't experience it. Maybe though. As long as they were really well educated and current.

As for the doula, hmm... My midwife never gave birth and she was pretty awesome. So maybe.

Of course, I'm okay with a male OB and they've never given birth. So I think I could be okay with a doula. But not a LC.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
irishdancemomma
Registered Users

My doula had her son via "emergency cesarean" before she was educated on the subject. She has never experienced an unmedicated birth. She was absolutely amazing during my sons birth which was entirely natural and med free and I would recommend her to anyone. I have only ever heard glowing reviews on her services. She is pregnant now and due any day. I'm so excited for her and hope she gets the birth she wants!
irishdancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It wouldn't sway my decision. The gift of helping women in labor doesn't come from BTDT, it comes from somewhere else inside.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey
It wouldn't sway my decision. The gift of helping women in labor doesn't come from BTDT, it comes from somewhere else inside.
Agreed.

My midwife never gave birth, and I was her first VBAC, and she was amazing. Can't say good enough things about her !
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey
Exactly. Does it make a difference if a doula never had a csection or VBAC or successfully nursed? The BTDT counts, but doulas can't experience everything.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Well, if you had marital problems, would you see a counselor who had a happy marriage?