Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
^ Well to be a LC there is a lot more to it than just reading a book about it. You need to be in a pathway, which requires lots of hours of schooling, then you need to get a lot of hours helping women, finally take the exam and pass. It generally takes years to become a LC.
I know . I'm training to become a LLL leader, and will then work towards becoming an IBCLC, so I know the work involved. But it still boils down to a personal comfort level for me. I prefer to take advice from someone who can relate through personal experience. That's not to say that women (or men) who haven't breastfed can't make excellent LCs - I know they can.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #42
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you think of a doula who has never given birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I know . I'm training to become a LLL leader, and will then work towards becoming an IBCLC, so I know the work involved. But it still boils down to a personal comfort level for me. I prefer to take advice from someone who can relate through personal experience. That's not to say that women (or men) who haven't breastfed can't make excellent LCs - I know they can.
That's fine I just didn't want it to seem like all a LC does is read a book or two and that's that. I'm in a pathway for IBCLC and collecting my hours now, so yes, lots and lots of work (hoping to take my exam this or next year).
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #43
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post

That's fine I just didn't want it to seem like all a LC does is read a book or two and that's that. I'm in a pathway for IBCLC and collecting my hours now, so yes, lots and lots of work (hoping to take my exam this or next year).
I didn't mean for it to come across like that at all! I'm on my phone, so I tend to be as short as possible . Good luck with your exam!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that it's an advantage from a scheduling standpoint to not have any kids! My midwife's assistant is a young woman who has never given birth, and she's also a doula. She's awesome and very nice. I personally think that a natural childbirth educator should probably have had a natural birth, but a doula is there for support, not teaching. I don't think that a doula needs to have been through childbirth to be supportive and helpful.

I couldn't be at one of my friend's births, so another friend communicated with me and she was there at the hospital instead. She has never had any children but she did awesome and if she wasn't there I'm sure that the mother would have had a c-section.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I took a breastfeeding class from a consultant who had never breastfed (didn't have children) and I didn't feel like she knew what she was talking about at all! Nothing specific and more likely her personality than anything else.

However, both of my midwives hadn't had children when I hired them and they were both incredibly wonderful!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
I don't think it would matter much to me, I'd care more about her experience attending births and her personality. Having given birth might make her more empathetic, but it might also bias her; lots of moms (myself included) inadvertently compare the choices and circumstances of other moms to their own choices and circumstances. I could see a real benefit to a doula who isn't thinking about her own birth experience in the middle of mine. I know not everyone does that, just trying to show a positive aspect. And to be honest no birth is just like another. I don't know what it's like to have a c section, or a breech baby, or a water birth, or get an epidural during contractions... But I would do my best to give comfort regardless.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #47
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
For me, I wouldn't use anyone who doesn't have first hand personal experience.
Me too.

I know it isn't quite the same, but I taught violin lessons for a long time, and was reasonably good at it. But now that I have my own child in violin lessons, and have gone through the practicing and frustrations, and all that goes along with being a Suzuki parent, I have a much better perspective on approaching issues and teaching kids, and I think I am a much better violin teacher. It wasn't that I was ineffective before. I just have a lot more experience with the day in day out parenting involved in working with young kids now.

I feel like a provider could be reasonably good without experience. However, one with experience has the potential to be better, with more hands on tricks and things that they know from personal experience just work. I would prefer to hire that person.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 01-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote