Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Cutting the cord...

When DD was born most of my birth plan was followed very closely, however this was not one of them. I was told thought the pregnancy that they were fine with delaying the cutting/clamping of the cord until it stopped pulsating. After I delivered I was then told that if they delayed cutting the cord they would have to keep my daughter below near my feet. they said something about blood flow. This was literally seconds after birth and of course I chose to have placed on my chest. Unfortunately I live on a secluded island where a hospital birth is my only option. And it makes me so sad that they took advantage of me as a new mother and didn't tell me this information earlier. What can I do or say this time around to insist on it being delayed? I have not found any research that supports what this doctor told me.

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cutting the cord...

I would print out the research you have and show him that delaying the cord is beneficial (and even recommended by some Doctors) and that the baby does not have to be by the feet.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Gravity has nothing to do with it. Ugh that makes me mad. I would certainly do a written birth plan with bolded type and maybe bring some research articles (or something on common sense) and hope that they have time to read them before delivery. You can also pre-emptively threaten to sue if they clamp it before you have given the go-ahead. But maybe that's just my raging hormones talking.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Google "active management of third stage of labor/placenta". If you read the articles, You'll see where the dr gets info on need for baby to be below mom (i dont know about on the floor). My ob told me something similar about delayed cord clamping. For what it's worth.

Regardless of your ultimate decision on delayed clamping, it sucks that your provider misled you. To me that is a bigger issue than if your wishes to have a specific procedure were followed.

I had a not great experience with my first birth. A friend's husband is a very very experienced OB and I asked him what could I do to get a better care/service. He gave me a pretty simple solution: to communicate and have a dialog with your provider. Dr. are just people, no better than you.

Talk to new dr about your experiences with first birth. Talk about why the failure to have your wishes followed was so upsetting. Ask him/her about their opinion on what you want. Ask out right if they object to any of your preferences. Some things may be negotiable others not, but at least you'll know what to expect this go around.

If you advocate for yourself, your more likely to be happy with the outcome.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Thank you for your comments and yes, I agree that the bigger issue is absolutely that my care provider misled me. I'm still upset by it. The problem I have here is that they force you to rotate through the 4-6 doctors throughout the pregnancy and then you're stuck with whoever happens to be on call. During my last birth I got lucky in that I got the most natural friendly of them all but still not what I would have prefered. I wish there was another option here. A friend of mine is training to become a midwife but I don't think she'll be certified by the summer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I also don't think it helps that all these doctors are family doctors and none actually specialize in obgyn. Sometimes I hate living in such a secluded area!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry mama, I had similar experiences with my twins. Two things, one put it in your birthplan and clearly state that they DO NOT have your permission to cut the cord until it stops pulsating (sign your name next to this statement) then clearly state that the baby is to be skin to skin with you right after birth with cord attached and quote medical data that backs you up. When you enter the hospital make your intentions very clear, if they go against your wishes you can sue since nothing you are asking will hurt the child. I would also call ahead and make sure that their hospital policy does not conflict with your wishes so you can quote that as well. If it does conflict you will need to sign a waiver so they are not liable. I hope this helps!!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure where you are delivering but most Alaskan hospitals do not take birth plans very seriously. The smaller the community the worse I've seen they know we have limited options.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBooty View Post
Not sure where you are delivering but most Alaskan hospitals do not take birth plans very seriously. The smaller the community the worse I've seen they know we have limited options.
I would check state laws, here if it has a signature it is a legally binding doc. and you can sue if they go against the plan and it was not a life saving measure.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just want to thank OP for this thread. I am due with #5 and will be a crazy militant mama to prevent them from doing it again. My last baby had respiratory issues after birth and I believe the early clamping and cutting is a contributor. Even if it isn't I would far rather be safe than sorry. Her issues were regarding the area of the heart that are meant to close when they start breathing. I am afraid that early clamping effected her "launch sequence" and prevented her body from functioning as it should. I appreciate the advice about signing the birth plan.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's such a simple, low risk thing. I feel bad that you have to fight for it. I agree that a very clear, ope dialogue with your doctor could help and then I agree with twinpossible's advice 100%.