Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Would I be happy in a bigger house?

Ours is about 1400 sq feet and can definitely feel pretty cramped. We don't have a basement or garage though, so I'm sure that's part of it. I would love to move if we could afford it, but not for a bigger home. I want to turn this house into a rental, and live a little further out of town. Not necessarily a bigger home, but one with a better layout and a GARAGE.

I've babysat for many people, and some of the houses are gigantic. I get a little overwhelmed there. And it's so darn inconvenient to go all over the house looking for things. One house in particular they basically stay in the living room kitchen and bedrooms... there's entire wings of the house that are never used. Huge foyers (I think there's 4), guest suites, unfinished rooms, entry ways, formal dining rooms, a study, a library, even a gigantic entertaining patio. I love their house, but I don't think I'd want to live there.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I must be an odd one but we have about a 1500sf home and with 7 of us I feel it's too big. Whenever we talk about a possible move in the future I ask if we could have a smaller house lol. I don't think size of house makes people happier, I think it's just a matter of learning to be content with what you have and using the space you have wisely.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 8- dh, me, elderly MIL, 2 boys and 3 girls and live in 1400 sq ft. It's do-able but I'm soooo ready for a bigger house! 1.layout- tiny living room and kitchen/dining is equal size of living room. That's ALL the living space there is so bedrooms take a huge chunk of space but we don't "live" in our bedrooms. 2. No storage. Ugh what I wouldn't give for a garage/ outbuilding/ shed ANYTHING! Landlord specified no sheds allowed

We are looking to buy and one of my rules is 1800 sq ft or more and storage.

I think for YOU- since you only have 2 kids and I'm assuming they are still young, I'd stay in the house you have. It would suck to buy a house, then move (for job, etc) within a relatively short time. Not a wise financial move IMO. But when/if you move for job/whatever nothing stopping you from a larger house . Especially if you plan for more kids. I don't think 3,000 sq ft home is necessary but maybe 1800 sq ft or at least a better layout

Last edited by erin_c_odonnell; 01-04-2013 at 10:14 AM.
erin_c_odonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I want a bigger house. (We have about 800 sq ft) I struggle with it because it seems like everyone on the minimalist thread wants a smaller house. I keep thinking there must be something wrong with me. But, we need another bedroom. I can't have my son sharing with his 3 sisters when he gets a little bit older. And I want a playroom or second living room. It does NOT have to big. But I want a space that can be nice and clean (for me and dh, and for company) and a place where I don't have to be afraid the kids are going to mark the walls or stain the couch. I don't think that makes me anti-minimalist. I think the minimalism comes from living without stuff. Or maybe I am a space hog. Eh, so sue me. lol!
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
I want a bigger house. (We have about 800 sq ft) I struggle with it because it seems like everyone on the minimalist thread wants a smaller house. I keep thinking there must be something wrong with me. But, we need another bedroom. I can't have my son sharing with his 3 sisters when he gets a little bit older. And I want a playroom or second living room. It does NOT have to big. But I want a space that can be nice and clean (for me and dh, and for company) and a place where I don't have to be afraid the kids are going to mark the walls or stain the couch. I don't think that makes me anti-minimalist. I think the minimalism comes from living without stuff. Or maybe I am a space hog. Eh, so sue me. lol!
My SIL has 4 kids (2 teens now) and they live in a quite large double wide trailer. Their bedroom is huge! And the master closet could be another bedroom! They have 2 living rooms. 1 stays nice, has the nicer furniture and such. The other is the 'den' and has always been for the kids. It works very well for them. And she is one of the most minimalist people I know! Her house is always so clean! And they only have what they need. I mean, for 6 people they have less glasses than we do and we are a family of 4....2 aren't even using the glasses yet lol. So minimalism and big house can go hand in hand. A small house is NOT for everyone. And a tiny house is for very few, at least with today....the way we were all wired growing up. The big american dream...bigger is better and keeping up with the Jones whoever the heck they are anyway.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
I think for YOU- since you only have 2 kids and I'm assuming they are still young, I'd stay in the house you have. It would suck to buy a house, then move (for job, etc) within a relatively short time. Not a wise financial move IMO. But when/if you move for job/whatever nothing stopping you from a larger house . Especially if you plan for more kids. I don't think 3,000 sq ft home is necessary but maybe 1800 sq ft or at least a better layout
ITA to agree with this. Only because you just have two kids now, no current plans for another, and you *could* make the basement into a playroom, you might move out of state, and the real state market is not ideal for selling right now. IDK the ages/genders of your kids, but it may also be possible to put them both in one bedroom and make the other a playroom. I totally get wanting to pick out a new home that you have input in, but I think it would be better to wait until the job situation and number of kids is finalized, and/or the market is better.

We have three kids under 10 now, and have moved many times in the past 10 years. I have to EMPHASIZE that layout is WAY more important that square footage. And the layout needs to meet your needs and lifestyle. We have never had any issues squeezing three young kids in two bedrooms (because they are close in age, and two are the same gender) in any of the places we've lived. But we have had lots of issue with layout, and when you rent you can't always change things to make it work.

That being said...six months ago we bought a 2400sf house with a full basement, half finished and half unfinished. We were not looking for a house that big, we were looking for a house in a specific area/school district, there was very limited inventory in our price range, and this one fell into our laps. Our previous homes were 1/2 to 2/3 the size of this. The layout is absolutely perfect for us and our needs. But I have to tell you, even though it is minimally furnished it is more work to keep clean. And the extra space invites clutter to stay longer than it should. And I am still nervous about how all the extra bills/taxes are going to play out with a larger house (it was a vacant foreclosure for more than a year, so no utility records are available and local taxes are changing). It's an older house, so it cost more to update and maintain than a newer one.

And our sitch was different. We were not planning to move anywhere else or have any more children. We went from renting to owning, so we didn't have to worry about selling our current home. And like I said, it fell into our laps at an incredible steal in an desirable area with very limited inventory, so the usual market issues did not apply. So you have to factor many, many things, not just the size of the house.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am pretty satisfied. We are in about 1100 sqft on two levels with 2 bedrooms and 1 1/2 bath. No basement, but a 2 car garage with only one car. The kids share the bigger bedroom and keep most of their toys there. Bedrooms and laundry are upstairs.
The only time it would be nice to have the extra bedroom is that my M/FIL are from Europe, so they tend to stay for 3-4 weeks at a time a couple times a year. It would be nice to have a place for them and my parents (who also live far away and visit every couple months) to stay when they visit.

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 5 in a 750sq ft home (with unfinished basement). My 3 boys share a room and we are just fine here. We moved into this house from a 4000 sq. ft house! It took some adjustments, but I like it better here. I can have the whole house spotless in under 2 hours, which is amazing for me. It used to take me almost an hour just to vaccum our old house. The key to making a smaller house work is organization and only keeping what you use on a regular basis. If I haven't used something in a year, it gets donated.

I am constantly going through toys and donating things that aren't being played with. All of my sons' toys fit in this :http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20087525/ with 3 small book bins sitting on top. They actually play better when they have fewer toys available. I strive for 10ish outfits per boy in their closet with 4 pairs of PJs each and no more than 3 pairs of shoes each. It is a very freeing experience to have less stuff to take care of. I would never go back to the huge house because it tied me down so much.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I want a bigger house. We have 4 DDs. Our oldest is a college student in her own apartment. And, the second oldest graduates High School this year & will be moving out to attend college. We are also trying for twins again on the 14th!!!

I LOVE our home because we've done so much to it, but 2400sqft is not enough for us. We all adore having vast amounts of personal space. It is also a problem for me that our horses are not on our property. We are hopeful to find a huge home on land in an amazing school district in our general area.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marliah
I must be an odd one but we have about a 1500sf home and with 7 of us I feel it's too big. Whenever we talk about a possible move in the future I ask if we could have a smaller house lol. I don't think size of house makes people happier, I think it's just a matter of learning to be content with what you have and using the space you have wisely.
Thank you, this is such a good perspective. It's sometimes hard to stay content when I play comparison games in my head after visiting friends in larger homes!