Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Friday!

We had grilled cheese and veggies for dinner.

Then I cut Fynn's hair and bathed with Fynn and then Cami. I had to get out of the bath to read Fynn his bed time story and sing to him. Now Heiner is reading to the girls.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #22
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today Cami had a full on meltdown over what seemed to be nothing. There was no way of knowing it was going to happen. No way of stopping starting and nothing could stop it while it was happening. We just had to ride it out until she was too exausted to carry on.

Basically I was talking to Heiner about the eye tests I'd booked for him and me. I mentioned that I'd booked the kids in for eye tests too....Cami went NUTS.

It turns out she'd heard that she had to go to the doctor and decided that meant she had to get an injection and freaked!

Once she'd calmed down I told her it was just an eye test and she was ok about it but it was seriously rough there for a while.

Last edited by ~whitehologram~; 01-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
~whitehologram~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
From what her regular aid and the teacher said the party she wasn't invited to and the end holiday crazies combined to put her on edge. She was being annoying and the other girls know how to get her going. She is high functioning autistic. I saw her getting upset but then when the girls started playing with her I thought they were being nice not manipulating her . And I am a little unsure of how much I am supposed to intervene. She needs to learn to do the right thing. IDK

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgirlsmama View Post
From what her regular aid and the teacher said the party she wasn't invited to and the end holiday crazies combined to put her on edge. She was being annoying and the other girls know how to get her going. She is high functioning autistic. I saw her getting upset but then when the girls started playing with her I thought they were being nice not manipulating her . And I am a little unsure of how much I am supposed to intervene. She needs to learn to do the right thing. IDK
IDK either. I know ADHD and Autistic are all on the same sort of wave although also different.

It's better to think of ways to distract and engage her into doing something that's totally distracting when something like that is happening.

I know it'd be great if she could learn to cope with these things but I think that's why you're there...because she cant learn to do that and she needs the supervision to help her avoid these things.

I'm not a doctor so I've no way of really knowing what to do in this situation...Maybe Becky would be better to talk to about this? She has Autistic son. He's older than your girl at work though.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs Jess. I used to work with all kinds of autistic kids, and Janine is right - many times you couldn't have prevented the incident (or a similar one) no matter what you did. Back to school + excluded socially + girls egging her on = incident of some kind, even if you intervened. Just the first two sets you up for an incident when any other ill element is added. Don't take it personally.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #26
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IDK if you are looking for tips, but here's a few that helped me with the autistic kiddos.

First, learn their triggers. Now you know being excluded from something is one of them. That is powerful knowledge. You can curb a lot of drama by redirecting her from stuff she is likely to be excluded from. And selectively allow her to deal with in on a small scale in a controlled environment, if you want to.

Second, learn her rage cycle. You could probably google it, but there is a bell curve with rumbling, rage, and recovery. The problem is there is no teachable moment when they are on the curve in any of the three stages. There is only redirection, behavior management, etc. So when you learn the triggers and see the rumbling, you might be able to redirect and stop the rage cycle. If not, you have to ride it out and not try to get her to see reason/do the teachable moment thing while it is going on. So basically once the rumbling is escalating you most likely have no chance of preventing the meltdown.

Third, you find what they are really good at, especially that other kids like. Then point them in that direction as much as you can.

Like I said, I know you weren't asking for help, but I know how selfdefeating it feels after they melt down, and I thought I'd throw in my pearls of wisdom to let you know it isn't your fault and how maybe you can prevent or better manage it in the future. Because it is going to happen, that's why they need you there.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #27
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
IDK if you are looking for tips, but here's a few that helped me with the autistic kiddos.

First, learn their triggers. Now you know being excluded from something is one of them. That is powerful knowledge. You can curb a lot of drama by redirecting her from stuff she is likely to be excluded from. And selectively allow her to deal with in on a small scale in a controlled environment, if you want to.

Second, learn her rage cycle. You could probably google it, but there is a bell curve with rumbling, rage, and recovery. The problem is there is no teachable moment when they are on the curve in any of the three stages. There is only redirection, behavior management, etc. So when you learn the triggers and see the rumbling, you might be able to redirect and stop the rage cycle. If not, you have to ride it out and not try to get her to see reason/do the teachable moment thing while it is going on. So basically once the rumbling is escalating you most likely have no chance of preventing the meltdown.

Third, you find what they are really good at, especially that other kids like. Then point them in that direction as much as you can.

Like I said, I know you weren't asking for help, but I know how selfdefeating it feels after they melt down, and I thought I'd throw in my pearls of wisdom to let you know it isn't your fault and how maybe you can prevent or better manage it in the future. Because it is going to happen, that's why they need you there.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Jess it was almost inevitable that this would happen after a break. Our two autistic kids meltdown for a few days after a break. The change in routine is really a problem for them. Families are rarely as consistent about routine as school. So they come back all out of whack. Heck our one girl assaulted the bus attendant the tuesday morning after the holiday concert because that Monday had not followed her routine at school. It will take you time to see these issues before they start. You are just learning about this child. You havent even had a month with her.
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OMG what Jen said. And it may be something you don't know happened that is already lighting the fire, like Mom forgot to put pudding in her lunch or they couldn't find her favorite gloves and she is really pissed off she has to wear THESE. Seriously, don't take it personally, it has nothing to do with you.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks ladies. It is more challenging because I am supposed to be discreet. She doesnt want to be watched or others to know someone is watching . Usually the girls are good but I think the bday girl was on a power trip.
I know what her triggers are for her big meltdowns but this was smaller scale.

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote