Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Happy New Year chat ~ Dec 30th - Jan 5th

Our babies will be born this year!!!!!

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Happy New Year chat ~ Dec 30th - Jan 5th

from last week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsStripe View Post
I've decided to fire my OB office. If I could keep the OB and get rid of the rest of them I'd be OK, but they won't let me just see him
Good luck! I hope you are able to switch and get somewhere you feel most comfortable.

I've never understood them working that way. We see our fam Dr here until 24 weeks or so, then are referred to our OB. But at that point, at least for me, I only ever see my own OB for appts. Now, obviously if there was an emergency I would see whatever OB was on call - and that would be fine in an emergency, I likely wouldn't care who saw or helped me, kwim?
But for regular appts, it's my own OB. The only time I've had to see another OB was at 40 weeks with Levi, because mine was away for a seminar for a couple days - not a big deal, I wasn't going to allow a check anyways, but that OB was definitely not as laid back with my plans/wants for VBAC as my own OB!
Even for births, they always call your own Dr if they're in town and if there's time - with Levi, my OB got called from the office (directly across the street from the hospital) at 8, got there at 8:20, and Levi was born at 8:40 - the Dr was back over at his office at 9am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCKmom View Post
It is a very common misconception that you have to get your protein from meat or that meat is the only high-protein source. Actually, some plants are higher in protein than red meats and your body can absorb it more easily from those sources.

Day 4 of pting here and we only had one accident the entire day!!! We even had lots of company and little kids running around the house today and it didn't throw her off at all. I can't believe how quickly she is getting the hang of it this!
I think people say "red meat for protein" because then you're getting protein and iron both, kwim? But you are totally correct - there are other, better/more easily absorbed, sources of protein than red meat.

Sounds like she's doing great! And with all that distraction, too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I love my Dr. I had Peyton with him he was so supportive of my vba2c. He was bummed that I got an epi only bc I told him I did not want one. Oh well I caved and it was WONDERFUL! But hopefully I will not get one this time.
I debate getting an epidural or not...
I did with my first - it really was necessary, I believe - after 8 hours of labor (hard contractions) I was still only a 2, had been 2cm when I got there and was first checked. Then I got a demerol shot which sucked, but did allow me to relax enough to get to 4cm - then the epidural allowed things to relax/loosen and everything worked out. But I still have a spot in my back, where they did the epidural, that I get a kink in whenever I get a kink in my back. Which stinks.
With DS1 I didn't have anything.
With DS2, c-sec, I had an epidural again (though also ended up under general because the epi was too high and too strong). I have no lasting effects from that one, but I did have a spinal headache for the first week after delivery - which sucked. A lot.
With DS3 I had nothing, again.
With Elli I had nothing until the last half hour, then got fentinol through IV - but that was different circumstances, obviously.

So, I debate it, lol. The only thing that holds me back from getting one is the side effects I've had after the epi - if they could guarantee those wouldn't happen, I'd totally get one again! But we'll see how things go with Hiccup. I'm not really wanting one, I know I can do without, but I'm not against getting one either.

AFM: Church this morning, we're taking the kids' skating stuff to go with DH's parents this afternoon, and we're staying for supper with them then leaving the kids at their house so we can go to a movie! We haven't been to a movie together in... well, a long time... a couple years at least!
We both bought each other a theatre gift card for a stocking stuffer!

Oh, I meant to ask everyone - any New Year's Eve plans?
I don't know what we're doing yet - possibly just a movie night with the kids (popcorn, chips, treats). On New Year's Day we're going to DH's parents house for a big dinner, though.

OH, and DENISE!!!!!! Congrats again!!!! Can't wait to see pics and hear all about it!!!

Last edited by canadianbakers; 12-30-2012 at 07:47 AM.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

So, I debate it, lol. The only thing that holds me back from getting one is the side effects I've had after the epi - if they could guarantee those wouldn't happen, I'd totally get one again! But we'll see how things go with Hiccup. I'm not really wanting one, I know I can do without, but I'm not against getting one either.

I don't know what we're doing yet - possibly just a movie night with the kids (popcorn, chips, treats). On New Year's Day we're going to DH's parents house for a big dinner, though.
Those are all of my hang ups with an epi. I had one with ds1 and it only worked on half my boby. Then I had to get a c/s. Schelduled c/s with ds2 and then the vba2c. Went in with dd at 3:30 am and my 5pm I needed to sleep so I caved. It was much needed rest for me and dh. We both just slept on and off and watched tv. Next thing the nurse came in and said, "ok we are ging to start pushing now." Dh and I looked at each other like she was crazy.

No plans for New Years just relaxing. My 5 yr old and I will probably be the only ones to make it to midnight--est LOL cst well that is another story.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

I've never understood them working that way. We see our fam Dr here until 24 weeks or so, then are referred to our OB. But at that point, at least for me, I only ever see my own OB for appts. Now, obviously if there was an emergency I would see whatever OB was on call - and that would be fine in an emergency, I likely wouldn't care who saw or helped me, kwim?
But for regular appts, it's my own OB. The only time I've had to see another OB was at 40 weeks with Levi, because mine was away for a seminar for a couple days - not a big deal, I wasn't going to allow a check anyways, but that OB was definitely not as laid back with my plans/wants for VBAC as my own OB!
Even for births, they always call your own Dr if they're in town and if there's time - with Levi, my OB got called from the office (directly across the street from the hospital) at 8, got there at 8:20, and Levi was born at 8:40 - the Dr was back over at his office at 9am

I think people say "red meat for protein" because then you're getting protein and iron both, kwim? But you are totally correct - there are other, better/more easily absorbed, sources of protein than red meat.
For me I start seeing my OB right away, but see my own for all appts and delivery if possible as well. They don't make us rotate through the other doctors or anything, and the on call doc only delivers after hours. Which is good because I do NOT like the midwife they have at the practice. I had an appt with her when my doc was out of town and she was so cold and condescending.

Yes, I think it's more the iron/protein combo, but there's certainly more than one way to get it
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm one of those people who don't really care who I see for appts. I've realized that makes me really weird to some people I did get irritated with condescension from some people with DD, but otherwise, don't really care. I figure you deal with nurses while you're in labor anyways, not the doctor. I had really good nurses with DD, so I am just expecting the same this time. Shoot.. some doctor came in and overrode my midwife with DD anyways and I ended up with a csection instead of the vacuum to get her out. In retrospect, it may have been for the best, so I'm over it.

It's actually a real winter here right now. We've had snow on the ground for... 5 days now? Mostly it's just been so cold that the snow hadn't melted, but last night and today it's snowing again.. so that's cool. Usually snow melts within a day here, so it's sorta neat that it's remaining so white. Still talking about prolly less than 6 inches on the ground total - maybe 3 or so. but it's pretty

no New Years plans.. had contemplated them, but the whole 'need a babysitter' thing is a bit difficult for such a holiday.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

No New Years pland. Somehow staying up late when you have 2 little "alarm clocks" waiting at home just doesn't sound like a good time....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

I dont see an ob this time, thank goidness i dont have to deal with ppl who only care about ppwork..
Sorry you guys that are dealing with that

So, my college friend meet up wasnt too bad. Her house is huge:/ but her backyard is small they were concerned about my hb, but i assured them i would take no chances with my baby's life. eh well.....
Its hard to believe we are all so old!!!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
TCKmom
Registered Users

I see my OB for all my appointments and I always see her, not a rotation of the doctors at her office. It is nice to see the same person all the time and have them know you and your personality pretty well. She is really easy going and open to whatever my preferences for pregnancy and delivery are. She will also be the one at the delivery no matter what time of day/night it is unless she is on vacation when I go into labor, in which case she informs me that she is gone and which doctor will be present if I go into labor while she's gone. I loved the nurses on duty when I gave birth to DD (doctor almost didn't make it because I went from 7 to 10 cm so quickly) and I am really hoping that one of them in particular is there for this birth too.

I did not have an epidural or an IV for #1. I am hoping for the same thing this time around but I know that I really have no control over what happens and all I really care about is that in the end the baby and I are safe and healthy. Whatever it takes to reach that end result is perfectly fine with me.

Only 2 accidents with potty training today . So proud of my little girl

No exciting new year's plans here. DH is working 4 pm - midnight new year's eve so he will watch the ball drop at work before he comes home. I am planning on a nice, relaxing evening with DD and an early night to bed for me
TCKmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Denise, congrats!Cantwait to hear howit went!

From last week, I am weird, but I love going to OB appointments! Even when they are just boring ones like hb and fundal height checks. But, my care is covered under a global billing system so it would be different if I were charged per visit. Even so, I dont go to 2 week appts for a long while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers

I debate getting an epidural or not...
I did with my first - it really was necessary, I believe - after 8 hours of labor (hard contractions) I was still only a 2, had been 2cm when I got there and was first checked. Then I got a demerol shot which sucked, but did allow me to relax enough to get to 4cm - then the epidural allowed things to relax/loosen and everything worked out. But I still have a spot in my back, where they did the epidural, that I get a kink in whenever I get a kink in my back. Which stinks.
With DS1 I didn't have anything.
With DS2, c-sec, I had an epidural again (though also ended up under general because the epi was too high and too strong). I have no lasting effects from that one, but I did have a spinal headache for the first week after delivery - which sucked. A lot.
With DS3 I had nothing, again.
With Elli I had nothing until the last half hour, then got fentinol through IV - but that was different circumstances, obviously.

AFM: Church this morning, we're taking the kids' skating stuff to go with DH's parents this afternoon, and we're staying for supper with them then leaving the kids at their house so we can go to a movie! We haven't been to a movie together in... well, a long time... a couple years at least!
We both bought each other a theatre gift card for a stocking stuffer!

My latest OB is in a practice with one other doc, but I won't see him unless mine goes out of town. With DS I saw 9 different doctors, CNMs, and NPs. The one that delivered Joey was a resident that I met a few hours before pushing and the Attending I met earlier that day... It didnt bother me though, but I will get to that with Emily's post.

I totally debate the epidural, too. If there were no side effects for me or baby I would absolutely get it. But, I know it comes with risks and side effects so I will try not to again. I had one with DS and it was spotty and didnt work _at all_ (literally by 7 cm it had completely stopped working). It also made my bp crash so I was on oxygen which sucked. We will see...

What movie? Hope you have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I'm one of those people who don't really care who I see for appts. I've realized that makes me really weird to some people I did get irritated with condescension from some people with DD, but otherwise, don't really care. I figure you deal with nurses while you're in labor anyways, not the doctor. I had really good nurses with DD, so I am just expecting the same this time. Shoot.. some doctor came in and overrode my midwife with DD anyways and I ended up with a csection instead of the vacuum to get her out. In retrospect, it may have been for the best, so I'm over it.
Me, too. I dont really care who I see, but I would always want someone polite. I do wish I could interview and pick my L&D nurses though! I had great ones with DS, but really didnt interact with my OBs at delivery. Actually, the resident OB was trying to help me labor and the nurse kicked him out of the way. Poor guy... I "blame" my military background for my attitude, though. I didn't have a choice where I delivered or what doctor it was with. I was able to choose to try an epidural and my postpartum dinner and that was about it (in regards to my care- not ds's). I could have bucked the system and elevated everything to the high risk OBs, but it never turned out well for my friends... So I had to have a zen like attitude about it that still carries over.

Afm, at my in-laws for one more night. Then back to my mom's for a night and then back to AL to pack up the mini-van and drive back to IL. So no new years plans for me!

Also, I think I figured out my sciatica problems! Its the beds! Ever since I came to my mom's the pain disappeared. Then, it came back (at night) sleeping on the worst mattress of my life at my in-laws. Maybe it's a coincidence... we shall see.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
sunnygirlmomof6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I see a midwife at an OB/MW practice and I only see her each time unless she is out of town or something. I have met the other midwives there though, just in case.
No new years eve plans here. The excitement of staying up to ring in the new year gets old after 6 kids! LOL
I have an appt Thursday and they will do another US to check on the cyst on her brain. Not sure what that will tell us though. If it is still there, it may be nothing, or could be a marker for trisomy 21, and if it is gone that could be good, or the risk could still be there. I am not really worried about it too much. Her heart looked good at the anatomy scan, and that is good. If she has T21, it is what it is and we will still be blessed to have her. I will not get an amnio to know for sure because of the risk of miscarriage, but I have read about a new blood test called MaterniT21 and I may ask if it is offered at her office. I would like to know, but without the risk of amnio.
I am also looking forward to my birthday in 4 weeks because we are having a 4D done on my birthday. I have not had one before and thought it would be a nice treat to take the girls with me and have one done.

Last edited by sunnygirlmomof6; 12-30-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
sunnygirlmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote