Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!*

Hi ladies! I'm joining in for the first time. I have a new year's resolution to read 100 books this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthflower View Post
I am reading the Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter I'm on book two This Same Earth. Its a vampire series.
I'm reading the same book! I just finished #1 "A Hidden Fire" and I liked it more than I thought I would because I generally don't like vampire stories. The characters were so good though!

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
justsamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Oh, last month I listened to the audio of Jacee Dugard's book, A Stolen Life, and that was good. Well, it's a tragic story so I don't mean feel-good.
i read that early last year. it was heartbreaking, but a really good read.
justsamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Jpgrl75
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of my resolutions is to simply read more - much more. DH and I watch a lot of TV and surf the web at night so I want to detach and go escape in my mind. I don't know if I have a specific goal per say - I just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and with my Prime I discovered the borrow a book a month thing. But I've also found another site that lists books that are free on Kindle so I just downloaded 4 or 5. (I'll edit tonight and add those to this post).

I was talked into reading Harry Potter and I'm honestly quite surprised at how much I loved the first book! So I'm anxious to start the 2nd book this weekend.

ETA - Free Books I've downloaded:
Why have kids? Jessica Valenti
Redemption in Blood, Tara Wood (the cover looked promising)
Save my Soul, K.S. Haigwood
The Ways of God - Finding Purpose through your Pain, Cherie Hill

Figured that's an eclectic mix to get me going
5/9/12 ~ We made it into Circulation! Bring on a baby!

Last edited by Jpgrl75; 01-04-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Added books
Jpgrl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
bfuzzy2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I am excited to see this thread! I have always been into reading. Love to read and last year started reading outside my comfort zone. I am continuing this in 2013 as well. I really can't pick out just one book that I liked last year, but first thing to come to mind is Divergent by Veronica Roth and her follow up Insurgent. The are totally not my genre of books, but I really got into them!
So far I have no book going with the holidays. Hoping to get one started this weekend!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgrl75 View Post
One of my resolutions is to simply read more - much more. DH and I watch a lot of TV and surf the web at night so I want to detach and go escape in my mind. I don't know if I have a specific goal per say - I just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and with my Prime I discovered the borrow a book a month thing. But I've also found another site that lists books that are free on Kindle so I just downloaded 4 or 5. (I'll edit tonight and add those to this post).

I was talked into reading Harry Potter and I'm honestly quite surprised at how much I loved the first book! So I'm anxious to start the 2nd book this weekend.
I have the same problem - if I'd just spend a little less time online during my free time, I could read a heck of a lot more and feel like I actually accomplished something.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
Jpgrl75
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ Exactly
5/9/12 ~ We made it into Circulation! Bring on a baby!
Jpgrl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I don't tend to re-read much. But I think it's more to do with my GIANT pile of books I still haven't read once than anything. That's too your mom and you share the reading love together.

(PS - I heard the same thing about DoW not living up to the hype. And also Night Circus. I haven't read either one, so I can't verify but do let us know how you like Night Circus if/when you read it.)
I heard the same about Night Circus, but figured I read fast enough that not everything needs to be precious. Sometimes if others consider it to be a "notable book" I feel compelled to read.

My DH read "I Hear You Paint Houses" after I recommended it to him. If anyone is trying to get their DH to read more, that's an amazing book. Really interesting.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I really liked Night Circus. Read it last January and it was fun and engaging and interesting.

Discovery of Witches was way too long, way too detailed. There were things I just did not need to know in terms of the details she included. It made the book incredibly lengthy and slow to read. However, I did love the characters and the story underneath all that insane detail. I will at some point read the second book, but who knows when. I do want to see what happens with the characters.

I am currently reading Insurgent after finishing Divergent last week. Loved Divergent and am loving Insurgent as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
gaakoh
Registered Users

I read A Discovery of Witches and the sequel. I thought they were all right. The second one took a while to muddle through.

I read Wild, which is about a woman searching for herself while hiking the Pacific Coast Trail. It was decent.

I just finished Wonder by RJ Palacio. It's a young adult book about a 5th grader with a facial deformity who goes to school for the first time. Amazing book. I'm still processing it and will have to read it again, but I want to make everyone read this book. I couldn't put it down and cried several times while reading. Just a sweet story about friendship and kindness.

I'm currently reading Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodora Kroeber. It's a biography of a Yahi Indian who lived like it was the stone age and suddenly stumbled into 1911 and was taken to San Francisco.

Most of the books I read come from my book club choice or my co-teacher's new books from Scholastic. =) I'll be looking for suggestions from y'all.
gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just when I think my daughter is 3 and I should maybe leave DS I discover frugal family threads just the day after I made my budget and this reading thread the very night I insisted my children turn off the electronics and go to bed with a book!

Quote:
On my Nook, I have started Anne of Green Gables as my first book of the year. I missed out on this when I was younger and was excited to check it out. It's a really fun read so far. I would have gobbled this and the entire series up as a young girl, I just know it.
We bought that for my daughter for Christmas about 4 years ago and she has never touched it. I will grab it off the shelf and read it with you. Starting tomorrow. It is too late tonight.

I see you like to read some classics and I'd like to get back to classics too (but no exclusively). This will be inspiring me to get back to those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpgrl75 View Post
One of my resolutions is to simply read more - much more. DH and I watch a lot of TV and surf the web at night so I want to detach and go escape in my mind.
Same here. And an interesting observation from me about Harry Potter: 1) I did not like the first book at all, yet everyone raves about it. 2) The middle of the series was more exciting to me. 3) I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in my mother tongue and it was the book I enjoyed the most. It is also the first one of all the books that made me love the series (I struggled through the rest because I was teaching tweens and teens and wanted to know what they were going on about). I concluded that I connected better with HP in my mother tongue as it is about school and teen angst etc. I did all that in my mother tongue; therefore, it hit more home in Afrikaans.

Last edited by vatblack; 01-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote