Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #31
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!*

Yay!! I am trying to read 100 books (not counting my own) this year. I am currently reading, THE LONG WINTER by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It's a traditon, as well as a lesson is self reliance. I usually start all of her books when it gets cold and it took a while for that to happen this year in Vegas. I plan on finishing it up tonight and then plowing through the rest of the series.

Then I am going to read WHILE IT LASTS by Abbi Glines. She is super awesome. I have a HUGE TBR pile that is made worse by the fact people like to give me free books lol

Advertisement

Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 AM   #32
mommy2colin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oooo I wanna join in also! I am a HUGE reader but the past month or so I kinda slowed down a bit due to the holidays etc. I typically read about 4-6 books every 2 weeks. I loved Divergent/Insurgent and can't wait for the last book! Room and Little Bee were a couple others that I really liked. I read a lot of young adult books but I'll read just about anything. I'm currently reading the book of mormon girl and The Out of Sync Child. I'm hoping to get some suggestions to get me jump started to read some more this year and get outta my slump.

SAHM to Colin (6) "the thinker" & Kate "the princess" (3)

Check out my blog! Recipes, crafts and kids stuff!
mommy2colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Yay, I'm so excited to see so many mamas joining in! Welcome!

I have a few personal goals this year.

1. Have fewer books on my physical TBR (to be read) pile on 12/31 than what it started at on 01/01. Which was 251. OMG I have a problem. LOL!

2. Read at least twice as many books this year than I did last year. Which was a sad 21. I didn't read anything from July-October and then just a few books from Oct-NYE. So this one should be a cake walk for me.

3. I have some very specific books I've set aside from my TBR pile that I want to FOR SURE read this year. These are books that I was SOO excited to get/buy and then never read them for whatever reason. Maybe I was saving them for some magical time and place to read? Who knows, but they're getting worked in this year. I think I have 30 of them on the list.

I've decided not to join any Historical Fiction challenges from my paperbackswap.com forums this year. They're a lot of fun and I've participated every year I've been a member there but this year I'm working myself out of a major reading slump and just want to focus on plain ol' reading.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #34
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
My DH read "I Hear You Paint Houses" after I recommended it to him. If anyone is trying to get their DH to read more, that's an amazing book. Really interesting.
I know my DH probably won't, but I looked it up and it sounds so interesting. I've added it to my library list - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaakoh View Post
I read A Discovery of Witches and the sequel. I thought they were all right. The second one took a while to muddle through.

I read Wild, which is about a woman searching for herself while hiking the Pacific Coast Trail. It was decent.

I just finished Wonder by RJ Palacio. It's a young adult book about a 5th grader with a facial deformity who goes to school for the first time. Amazing book. I'm still processing it and will have to read it again, but I want to make everyone read this book. I couldn't put it down and cried several times while reading. Just a sweet story about friendship and kindness.

I'm currently reading Ishi in Two Worlds by Theodora Kroeber. It's a biography of a Yahi Indian who lived like it was the stone age and suddenly stumbled into 1911 and was taken to San Francisco.

Most of the books I read come from my book club choice or my co-teacher's new books from Scholastic. =) I'll be looking for suggestions from y'all.
Ooh, I've heard Wild mentioned before and I'm a total sucker for books like that. I'm going to add it to my library list as well. And holy cow I really want to read the one about Ishi. Is it good so far?

One set of books I recommend are by Joan Anderson. She went off and spent a year in a cottage by the sea, leaving behind a troubled marriage after her children had grown and moved out. I loved the first one and picked up the next two right away. The second book was my least favorite but oh the 3rd was a delight as well. The first book is A Year by the Sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Just when I think my daughter is 3 and I should maybe leave DS I discover frugal family threads just the day after I made my budget and this reading thread the very night I insisted my children turn off the electronics and go to bed with a book!

Love it when things just align and work out like that! I'm glad you found Just what you needed to find!

We bought that for my daughter for Christmas about 4 years ago and she has never touched it. I will grab it off the shelf and read it with you. Starting tomorrow. It is too late tonight.

Definitely! I just adore Anne in the book and it's a really fun, easy read. I'm sure she'll love it. I'm going to be getting my daughter the set when she's older.

I see you like to read some classics and I'd like to get back to classics too (but no exclusively). This will be inspiring me to get back to those.

Yes, I have a ton of them on my reading list. I'm really, really enjoying them. I think I'm in love with Jane Austen.

Same here. And an interesting observation from me about Harry Potter: 1) I did not like the first book at all, yet everyone raves about it. 2) The middle of the series was more exciting to me. 3) I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in my mother tongue and it was the book I enjoyed the most. It is also the first one of all the books that made me love the series (I struggled through the rest because I was teaching tweens and teens and wanted to know what they were going on about). I concluded that I connected better with HP in my mother tongue as it is about school and teen angst etc. I did all that in my mother tongue; therefore, it hit more home in Afrikaans.

I've been listening to the HP books on audio and was also a bit surprised at how much I've enjoyed them. My 16yo son has read them all about 8 times each. He's been reading them since he was pretty young and I figured it was about time I read them, too. And I had to look up Africaans, as I'd never heard that. I watched a YouTube clip of Charlize Theron speaking Africaans and it sounds so pretty.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #35
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm currently reading The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It's from her Lord John Grey series, which I find less engaging than the Outlander series, but this on is pretty good so far.

I'm currently taking a break from reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which I was enjoying. I like that they are all short stories, so I can take a break without ruining the pace of the book.

I recently bought the 5 Mortal Instruments books, and I'm itching to start them.

Some of my favourite books from 2012 include The Book of Negroes, and The Secret Daughter, both of which I read for my book club.
Ok, ok. These Mortal Instruments books keep getting mentioned and I keep adding them to my library list and then not picking them up already. Gonna do it this year, darnit!!

And I've added both of your favorite books to my list as well - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Joining in! I used to be a reading fanatic, then DS came along. Now I bury myself in my phone instead of getting quality time with my kindle. It makes me sad! In the last month or so I've dedicated myself to reading more often.

I'm currently working my way through the highlander series by Karen Marie Moning. It's just fluff but if it keeps me reading, I don't care.

I like historical fiction, romance, ANYTHING to do with faerie folklore - I swear it could be the worst book in the world and they mention faerie one time and I'm all ENCOR!! No one knows what's wrong with me.

I think this thread is going to do bad things to my already overflowing to-read list on goodreads.
Ok, so I must now ask - what are your favorite books on faerie folklore? I have a few Celtic books that tell of faeries that I need to break out and look at soon. My daughter loves faeries as well, so I got them intending to read them to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
I forgot to mention the classics are my weakness, especially British. Jane Austen knows me better than I know myself.

That's all. I couldn't leave y'all thinking I'm a literary airhead.
I might possibly be head over heels in love with Jane Austen. Her writing is somehow magical to me. I can't explain it, but I've enjoyed both of the Austen books I've tried so far and have plans to read the rest someday.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Mortal Instruments books are awesome! Don't forget about the prequel series she has written 2 of so far - The Infernal Devices. She is writing it along with the 2nd trilogy in The Mortal Instruments. So there will be one more in each series. Infernal Devices last book comes out next.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #37
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last week I read Divergent and Jaycee Dugard's book. I did not like Divergent until almost the end but am not sure if I want to bother with the second book or not. Jaycee's book made me cry but I'm glad I read it. Now I'm reading Becoming Sister Wives while I decide on my next fiction to read. Last month I re-read the Philipa Gregory tudor boxed set and still love it so I'd like something similar if anyone has any recommendations.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall
I might possibly be head over heels in love with Jane Austen. Her writing is somehow magical to me. I can't explain it, but I've enjoyed both of the Austen books I've tried so far and have plans to read the rest someday.
Jane Austen is by far my favourite author. I re-read Pride & Prejudice pretty much every year. She's the reason I got into reading classics.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #39
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will come back and post later when I am not eating lunch, but I wanted to sub so I didn't lose the thread
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #40
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Rainfall: I just finished Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception and Ballad: Gathering of Faerie by Maggie Stiefvater. The lore was surprisingly accurate and it wasn't sexual at all, so actually appropriate for little ears, imo. There should be another coming soon, I'm not sure when.

The fever series by Karen Marie Moning is probably my favorite. I believe the first book is Darkfever.