Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
rising spring
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help with belly sleeping leaks!

My son is 10 months, he started sleeping on his belly several months ago and I have has leak issues ever since. He often sleeps on his knees, his butt in the air, so pee goes down on his belly. I pretty much always have to change diapers once during the night and he hates it.

Right now I use either alvas or bumgenius at night, with 2 bamboo inserts or one thick charcoal bamboo/microfiber insert. It doesn't seem to ever be enough and I don't want to stuff his diaper so much that he can't close his legs together. I'm also trying to switch to natural fiber inserts as much as possible.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
mama2Holden
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help with belly sleeping leaks!

Hmm.. Are you sure they are tight enough around his waist? Do the pockets have velcro or snaps? I had the same problem at night and had to switch from BG's with snaps to BG's with velcro. Even though I prefer snaps, the velcro pockets seem to hug his hips better. The snap pockets always left a little gap in between the diaper and his belly. I would hate for you to have to get new diapers though, so I'm hoping someone has a solution!

Last edited by mama2Holden; 01-04-2013 at 09:44 AM.
mama2Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

You could put wool over his diaper? One of my boys is a tummy sleeper and I have a disana soaker that I put on over his diaper and it has a waist that you can leave up or fold over I leave it up and it covers his belly and stops any leaks.
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

both my LOs are tummy sleepers and i used a large fitted (catches pee any which way!) with flip org insert and stay dry liner, no leaks but whoa the ammonia~ i tried less liquids after 6pm and that helped alittle.

maybe try a large fleece soaker over bg? it'll make bum extra bulky tho.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had to switch to fitteds when DS started to sleep on his tummy. He puts his butt up in the air too. Now he sleeps all over the place. Fitteds with a pul cover or wool was the only thing that worked. I used BG and alva before that too and once he started moving in his sleep they started leaking.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

My babies were tummy sleepers, too. I used fitteds with either a wool soaker, ME Airflow, or Prorap Side Snap cover. Never had a leak.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Magoo07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is a tummy sleeper too... Do you have any Flips? The flap of PUL in the front seems to help us as a barrier for the wetness. We use 1 stay dry insert and a hemp doubler. Have you tried hemp?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo07
My DD is a tummy sleeper too... Do you have any Flips? The flap of PUL in the front seems to help us as a barrier for the wetness. We use 1 stay dry insert and a hemp doubler. Have you tried hemp?
Flips have saved my sanity with my tummy sleeper.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have struggled with the exact same thing. Let me assure you we have tried *almost* everything for our heavy-wetting butt-up-in-the-air tummy-sleeper.

I see some people mentioning flips. You could try that, but it didn't work for us because when we put enough absorbency in to last the night they gapped at the legs. Econobums actually worked better than flips for us.

What worked better than both of those was the double gusset Alva's. Not sure why, but they were the only pocket to ever work overnight for us.

What worked best - and the only thing that worked 99% of the time, was a Ragababe 2-step (it's an ai2 system). You can get them a lot easier and cheaper now than when I needed them. We stuffed it with a flip organic insert, a doubler of some sort, and a gcloth on top for more absorbency and to add a layer of stay-dry. This was our bullet proof solution. Something about the aplix closure and the thick belly strip it has actually trapped in all that pee that would otherwise go out the top.

We have had to take a break from cloth with DS1, and we are struggling again. Overnight sposies do not cut it. He leaks out the top of the belly at least half of the time. We use Disana wool soakers on top, but sometimes those still wick and I grow tired of washing wool. Fleece soakers are a decent alternative as long as the rise is high enough and thick enough. Otherwise, use microfleece PJ's on top - either the zip up one piece sets or the microfleece sleep sacks. Those usually provide just enough protection over the diaper to at least keep the sheets dry.

Oh, and of course cutting back on fluids the last few hours before bed helps too.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a fitted with a dappi cover.