Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: maternity clothes, baby clothes & children's clothes?

With my first I didn't have maternity clothes. I just made regular clothes work, which was tricky. I hung on to all of her clothes until after we moved to Texas, then I just got rid of all of them except for a few cute dresses for her baby doll and a gender neutral onsie. Her brother was born right before our move and got all kinds of crazy, cute boy stuff. I held on to that, just in case. I went through it all when my boyfriend and I found out we were having our first together and we only kept the clothes for the first year, even though my oldest boy was born in April and that baby would be due in December, but this was Texas so I figured you never know with the weather. Luckily we had a boy. When he was a year old we got rid of everything but the favorites. We weren't sure if we even wanted another. We were kind of glad we held on to it because right before that son turned two we found out we were having another, which also was a boy, so that was helpful, but this one was due in July.

After all of that I've just determined that baby clothes isn't going to be held on to around here. If you're off on seasons, or if one baby grows a lot faster or slower than the other, you'll just have clothes for the wrong season anyway and will need to get something seasonally appropriate. Besides, all of my boys were diaper babies in the summer unless we were going out, and the littlest is a diaper baby even in the winter if we're home. He stays warmer if he doesn't have to wear a onesie that gets soaked in drool, especially since he just takes off bibs except for the nice cross-stitch ones my mom made, and since those tie on he gets very angry because he can't get them off. He also takes his diapers off too, which has been a real challenge for us since everything we had used aplix, not snaps!

The only thing we intend on keeping for another baby is the diapers we're buying now. Most of our older ones are wearing out, so we'll have a number of fresh, new ones to hang on to, even if they're sometimes second hand to us.

As for older clothes, I don't even keep the kids clothes to hand down to a younger sibling anymore. My daughter did hand some of her clothes down to my oldest son, who is turning 6 soon. She had some gender neutral stuff and he's chosen a couple of her "girly clothes" that he really likes and wouldn't let me get rid of. For the most part, he gets new clothes anyway. My middle son is 3, but he's already grown into 4T clothes, which would put him right on the tail of wearing all the clothes his brother has grown out of, but my oldest boy has a lot of purple and my middle boy isn't into that. Plus most of the jeans have already been worn out anyway. My littlest son is in 6-9 months clothes, so I really don't want to be hanging on to clothes 2-3T for him because it's probably going to be a good while away and I'd rather save the space and just buy him new ones.

Things might be different if we lived in a bigger place and had more room to store stuff, but my kids always find it so much more fun to take them shopping to pick out their own things from the point at which they first start showing inclination to do so. It allows them to really express their own style, like my son loving to wear purple. I wouldn't want to make the rest of my boys suffer through my oldest boy's "purple phase" because we were hanging on to stuff. It's just better for us this way.

As for my maternity clothes, I'm about to give away the last of it. My boyfriend and I have decided that when we have another we want to buy me all new maternity clothes in a style I like because I've never gotten to do that before. With my last two I had mostly stuff given to me by friends and with my 2nd pregnancy my husband was super picky about what I could get. The next one will probably be our last, so we want to make it special. Then once we're done, they go out the door with the rest of the baby stuff to someone who can use it more than we can.

SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Registered Users
Re: maternity clothes, baby clothes & children's clothes?

I kept the maternity clothes that I loved and were still in great shape. The rest are gone.
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote