Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Progesterone isn't important for conceiving?

So my son was at a well baby visit with our new family dr today and I asked her a few questions about TTC. I mentioned that I have signs of low progesterone so I might need to work with a dr to help with that. Her response was that she would help me find a dr who believes that progesterone was important for conceiving!

I was really shocked that it was a controversy because its the only info I've seen on the internet. Anyone else aware of this or know the argument?

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Progesterone isn't important for conceiving?

I just had a conversation with my doc on this as well. She told me that she would be willing to look into progesterone for me but it didn't have any benefits until around the 6 week mark as the HCG was what sustained the pregnancy until about then. I have never had low progesterone before and was not sure if it was causing my early m/c (4-5 weeks). She said that the progesterone wouldn't help in my case but if I got to the 6 week mark and started to spot she would be willing to try the progesterone. I was most surprised to fine the range of progesterone levels at their office that was considered in the normal range was 7 and higher! I thought they like them to be at least 15-18 or higher! So now I am also a bit confused and frustrated. Let me know if you discover any new info!
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Users

This does seem to be an area of controversy. Some docs really don't believe that progesterone is important. But it does seem to me that most REs use it and it can't hurt so I really don't understand the argument against it, myself. I'm convinced it's the reason I was about to get a BFP with my DD so I'm all about it, myself.
Wife to my best friend in the world
Over the moon mama to sweet boy A (7/09) Funny little girl G (4/11)
& Baby girl C (11/13)
katiecornflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Users

I honestly didn't know it was particularly controversial...but DP & I both have only TTC w/ the same RE & the testing and supplemental progesterone post-O are part of their standard protocol. They want it low, preferably under 1, prior to O, start supplementing 3rd day post IUI or the day following an ET for IVF; if a positive Beta, they try to keep it as high as possible, but really above 10...because of the nature of this protocol, since it's all I'm familiar with, I've been puzzled by the CD21 & 22 progesterone draws. It doesn't mean there's not a purpose, I just don't understand what it is, KWIM?
Carrie. Wifey to F, Mama to Baby Bear, Nugget, and Teeny.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Users
My RE was all for it (clomid only)- she wanted my post-bfp progesterone to be 25 or higher (even with 3 suppositories a day by 12 weeks I still hadnt reached 25). My first OB kept me on it til 12 weeks. My current OB, who I transferred to at 24 weeks, (politely) rolled his eyes when I told him about the progesterone. He said in cases of IVF and luteal phase defect he has seen studies that show a benefit, but otherwise he hasnt seen it make a difference. While I believe him... I sided with the "why not" group because I was terrified of another loss.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Registered Users

Oh how odd. I had no idea there was any controversy.

I saw my naturopath this week because we keep conceiving, but then I start spotting about 10-12DPO and my period comes on time (13-15DPO). She didn't even do blood tests or push me to try "herbs only", she offered a prescription for oral progesterone. She said that given my year of charting, and extremely consistent cycles, it's pretty clear what's going on ...

She offered that I either TTA and take Vitex for several months and see if that works on it's own, or go ahead and TTC right away starting prescription progesterone the day after I ovulate. I'm surprised at the doc above who said there's no point until the 6 week mark, but maybe that's in women who have no luteal phase defects?

Maybe it's only controversial given the context?
No 2x4 Butt! A non-pad "Pad" fold to put flats in covers and pockets:
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote