Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How did you know when you were ready to add another child?

DD will be 18 months next week and I feel like people are always asking me "are you ready for another baby?" Most of the time I still feel like DD is a baby. I know she's technically a "toddler" but she still relies on me for everything.

I know lots of people have kids close in age, but I really have zero desire to have 2 babies at once. And when I think back to those really difficult newborn days I sometimes feel like I'm not cut out for another baby. BUT then I look at DD's photos of when she was first born and I want to cry because she's growing up way too fast and I miss having a teeny tiny snuggly baby.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'll just know when it's time to add to our family because right now I feel like I go back and forth all the time. Days when DD is super sweet and gives me hugs and kisses I want another one and then nights when she's up all night for one reason or another I can't think of doing it all over again.

Advertisement

Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How did you know when you were ready to add another child?

um... I think you just know. Our kiddos will be 2.5 yrs apart and I think that's ideal for us.

One thing you have to remember is that your daughter will be a completely different child 9 months from now. So, yeah... at 18 months, she's pretty needy, but she's going to find her desire for independence fairly soon. That being said... 2yos are rougher than newborns, if you ask me. So, I'm not overly excited about having both a 2yo and a newborn..(although I can already see my 2yo mellowing and understanding things better, so it can only get better, right?!) but, I still feel really good and at peace with the ages they'll be.

So, yeah.. I think you just know.. and then you're at peace with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just knew. My kids are three years apart and that was just right for our family.

I only have two kids. We're approaching the time where if we want a third and keep the three year spacing, we need to start trying. Honestly, it doesn't feel like it did last time. Another baby would be a blessing and a joy, but I think we're done.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only have one child and at 18 months despite my burning desire for another newbie, I am not ready to actually parent a second baby. I want my children spaced out and that is what is right for my family right now.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Third for us was a bit unplanned but my girl was 14 month so not 2 yrs old when baby comes. I liked 3 or 4 yrs but my 2 girls are 6 yrs apart.... so close worries me but hoping as the 2 that will be close aree boy & girl... hoping potty training easier as I have seen.....

I was like huh when people were asking when the next will be within like 6months of birth of my now 20 month old birth...... ahhhhhhh.

Last edited by abunchoflemons; 01-04-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: adding to thought
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just knew. My kids are all 3ish years a part.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant again, and figured that meant I had to make myself ready.

My first two are a little over 3.5 years apart
#2 and#3 are almost exactly 2 years apart (their b-days are 10 days apart)
#3 and #4 will be about 5 years apart with two losses inbetween.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
kimberleenama
Registered Users

My pregnancy test was positive?! Just kidding!

I knew I wanted more than one kid...but the "when" was a struggle for me. I didn't even consider getting pregnant again until my son was 18 months old--that's how long it took for me to get over the trauma of his delivery!

That said, I wanted him potty trained and verbal before adding another one to the mix--Success on both counts, and baby brother will be 3 years and 4 months younger. I'm a little worried about the age difference and the toys (Legos being a choke factor for the little one, etc.), but I think it will work for us. Big brother will also be in preschool, so I will get some of the same one on one time with the baby that I had with my first.
kimberleenama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my additions have been complete surprises so I don't think I knew we were ready, we just get ready Honestly, it's never going to be "easy" but when it happens you'll get prepared and be able to handle it
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

You just know.
I started getting the urge when DD was 2.5, but Fiancee was still in school and he had JUST started a new job. We got pregnant right before she turned 4 and my kiddos are 4.5 years apart.

I'm started to get baby fever NOW, but practically I'm not ready since my LO just turned 1. I think when he's around 2 we will start trying. Or at least I will start trying lol.
I don't know if DF is ready for another one or even really wants one at all.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote