Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How did you know when you were ready to add another child?

I didn't know. I just jumped right in because I was in some sort of hurry to get this child-bearing thing over with. Then our 3rd was a surprise that we got ready for after the fact.

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got pregnant when my first was 5 months old...definitely wasn't even THINKING about when we would have another baby yet, but it was the biggest blessing in my life.

With #'s 3 and 4 I just knew, and it was almost a need for another baby
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
crunch!910
Registered Users

We didn't try for our second, but I got pregnant when he was about 20 months old, and my boys are 2.5 years apart. I wouldn't have planned it because of financial reasons, but I was happy. Others around me were having babies, I WANTED a 2012 baby, and felt angry/sad when others got pregnant and I couldn't yet.

IF we have another, I hope to plan and space them 3 years apart. 2.5 was a nice gap, but when he wasn't quite two years old and going through pregnancy with the terrible twos just was not fun. It was also nice that my son was potty trained before 2 years old - I'd never want two in diapers! Nor would I want to potty train when pregnant or with a newborn. I prefer my second son's spring birthday over my oldest's fall birthday - LOVE the fall, but don't love that baby is so young during the winter, and also don't like that my oldest son will be 6 years old before he can start kindergarten.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our first two lo's where surprises! Dd was 21 months when ds was born. We are currently ttcing for #3 and I just knew I was ready for the next little one. I still have days when i wonder if I'm going crazy for wanting a third lo when dd 4 and ds 3 can be so difficult. But my two are a little older and dd will be going to school next year as homeschooling her has been a struggle.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #15
nebraskamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our two children will be four years apart. I agree that you'll know, and if it's unexpected, then you'll have nine months to prepare. I always thought we'd have them closer together, but I felt the exact same way you described, so we waited.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold View Post
DD will be 18 months next week and I feel like people are always asking me "are you ready for another baby?" Most of the time I still feel like DD is a baby. I know she's technically a "toddler" but she still relies on me for everything.

I know lots of people have kids close in age, but I really have zero desire to have 2 babies at once. And when I think back to those really difficult newborn days I sometimes feel like I'm not cut out for another baby. BUT then I look at DD's photos of when she was first born and I want to cry because she's growing up way too fast and I miss having a teeny tiny snuggly baby.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'll just know when it's time to add to our family because right now I feel like I go back and forth all the time. Days when DD is super sweet and gives me hugs and kisses I want another one and then nights when she's up all night for one reason or another I can't think of doing it all over again.
I could have written this exactly. I would another newborn, but my DD is so crazy and high needs that sometimes I say we are one-and-done. I'd like at least 2.5 years between our kids.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ds will be 3 in march. He has some health issues but he is just now getting to the independent stage and I am thinking now will be a good time to start trying to have another baby.
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

I wanted two children approximately 2 years apart because that is the difference in age between my brother and I. We were close enough in age to play together, fight, bug each other, etc. Also, I am not that much a baby person and my DS1 was a high needs baby and a part of me just wanted to get the whole baby era of my life over with, though it turns out that DS2 is a lot more easygoing.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 2 are 26 months apart which means I got pregnant when DD1 was about 18 months old. Looking back I can't say if it would have been easier to have them a bit farther apart or not. From what I can tell so far and what I've heard the first year is really hard but after that it is easier to have them close together because they have similar interests and abilities. DD2 had pretty bad reflux so no matter what the first 9 months would have been pretty rough. She is still a needy toddler. DD1 was pretty easy as a 2 year old but so far 3 has been pretty trying. There have been many times that I thought we were nuts for having them closer together but now I'm really happy it worked out that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana51 View Post
My 2 are 26 months apart which means I got pregnant when DD1 was about 18 months old. Looking back I can't say if it would have been easier to have them a bit farther apart or not. From what I can tell so far and what I've heard the first year is really hard but after that it is easier to have them close together because they have similar interests and abilities. DD2 had pretty bad reflux so no matter what the first 9 months would have been pretty rough. She is still a needy toddler. DD1 was pretty easy as a 2 year old but so far 3 has been pretty trying. There have been many times that I thought we were nuts for having them closer together but now I'm really happy it worked out that way.
So so true. My first 2 are 13 months apart, and that first year was pure survival mode, especially since my second had severe reflux and was very high needs. But after that first year? WAY easier. My second just followed in his brother's steps.

They are now 5 and 4 and do everything together and are each others best friends. This is why I tell people it was the biggest blessing in disguise, and we couldn't have planned it better if we tried!