Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I could not get pregnant. Lol. Then I just knew that my heart was meant for 3 lo's.

Advertisement

Last edited by keen1981; 01-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you know when you were ready to add another child?

For me... we weren't trying for DS2... but my period was almost a month late (in hindsight I chalk it up to stress and pressures of moving as DH was getting out of the Navy)... anyway... my period was over 3 weeks late. I kept taking tests and they kept turning up negative. I thought "I'm just not "pregnant enough" yet." ... I had myself convinced that I was pregnant, and then my period finally started. I was heartbroken and broke down.

DS1 was about 20 months old at the time. DH and I decided to start trying for DS2.

DS2 was a few months shy of a year and a half when I told DH that I thought I wanted another baby. We decided to think about it for about a year, but I got pregnant a few months later anyway.

In the summer of 2011 I told DH that I wanted another baby. He was adamant that we were NOT having anymore children. Surprise pregnancy in January 2012. DS3 turned 2 the following February.

So looking back, it appears that the "baby bug" always bit me when the next oldest child was around a year and a half.

But it's such a personal decision. I can tell you life would have been easier in a way, if I waited until DS1 was like 4 or 5 before having a second child. But.. I wouldn't change anything. It's tough having a toddler and an infant, I won't lie. But it's working for us.

If YOU are not ready, then just tell people that. Just say "I have my hands full NOW, I can't imagine having two close together." My sister and I are almost exactly 3 years apart (2 weeks shy, I think) which was my original plan with DH when we got married... our original plan was to have 2 children about 3 years apart, and it would be great if one were a boy and the second child a girl.

What I got were 3 boys and a girl, and each spacing is right around 2 1/2 years.

2yrs 5 months between DS1 and DS2
2 yrs 3 months between DS2 and DS3
2 yrs 7 months beween DS3 and DD

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #33
sojomisa
Registered
seller

I'm another that thinks you just know. When DD1 was 1 we were ready and got pregnant the same month. When DS1 was 1 I was totally NOT ready, it was another 6 months before I was.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #34
lookatreestar
Registered Users

2 years 2 mos is our spacing, at her first bday i started getting a lot of the when are you having another. I just wasn't ready at all then around 17 mos I realized we had to get preg if I wanted 2 year spacing. my brother and I are two years 3 mos apart and have always been close. my kids adore each other for the most part.

Last edited by lookatreestar; 01-07-2013 at 11:40 PM.
lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #35
blueyes
Registered Users

I just know as long as my uterus has healed completely because I gave birth through C-section. The best age gap for me would be around three to four years after my daughter.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I felt ready to have another when my older son was about 18 months, so he would have been just over 2 if I'd gotten pregnant right away. My body had other ideas, though, and I finally had our second when #1 son was nearly 5. Apart from the fact that I had to basically relearn everything about babies, that spacing worked out well, because he was old enough not to need me for everything and to be of some help, and he absolutely adored "our baby" (still does, mostly).
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD was 16 months when we got pregnant and she was SO still a baby. But now that she is here, they are the BEST of friends. She tells me all the time how YDD is her best friend. We knew it was time though.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #38
blueyes
Registered Users

I gave birth to my firstborn DD via C-section and waited about 3 years before having my DS. My second pregnancy was a planned one.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #39
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we decided to have our second, we just knew. We wanted our firstborn to have a sibling close in age, so we got pregnant when our first was 13 months old. With our third we were undecided on adding another, but had an oops, and surprisingly it was the same spacing as the other two as we got pregnant when our second was 13 months old. This time around we've gone a few months past that spacing (our youngest is 16 months old), but I'm starting to feel the need/want to add another. So I think you just either know, or get pregnant
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #40
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

i know how you feel, OP. when DD was 18 months we starting thinking about more. we spaced our kids 2.5 years apart and it was PERFECT. DD was pretty independent at that point, and the 9 months gave us time to prepare DD for a baby. HOWEVER, this boy i have is MUCH MORE active and needy than DD was. he's into everything ALL THE TIME!! I really want him to be more independent before i get pregnant again. right now i try to imagine keeping up with him while pregnant, with morning sickness 24/7 or a huge belly, and i get overwhelmed. so i'll wait till i'm ready again.

"She is clothed with strength and dignity...
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue...
Charm is deceptive, and beauty if fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote