Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
jthibodeau
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady longs View Post
On my last one, I skipped newborn diapers and never really missed them. Of course, I wasn't a member on this forum, we were on a SUPER tight budget, and I wasn't sure cloth diapers were for me. So, it would have been natural. Plus, my babies are on the larger size.

This time around, I am planning on skipping the newborn stage, but I keep eyeing up newborn diapers. However, whenever I look at them on fsot, it always says, "used less than a month". I just can't bring myself to do it!

So, I am wondering, how many mamas skip out on newborn dipes and just deal with a little extra bulk???
Never did . Mine were almost 9 and 10 lbs. We used prefolds then as they got bigger (around 10lbs) we added os pockets. Never had a problem.

Advertisement

jthibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many mamas skip newborn diapers?

I'm a newborn dipe fan here. My oldest dd (first newborn in cloth since ds was 9 months when we started) was in xs Fuzzi Bunz until 4 months and was 7llbs at birth. My youngest wasn't in them quite as long since she was 8lbs 2oz, but it was still worth having. If we have another, I'll probably just use flats and infant prefolds folded over in a few newborn covers.

Last edited by hac1224; 01-05-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: stupid autocorrect
hac1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
I used sposies until my DS cord fell off. I had a rough delivery and I'm glad I waited those two weeks. But anyway, I did GMD orange edge prefolds trifolded or snappied with Thirsties duo covers. It worked great for us. I had 36 prefolds and 6 covers. I could have used a couple more covers, but it wasn't necessary. Since I mostly trifolded this system worked for two months. He was 8 lbs at birth and the orange edge fit till he was about 10 lbs snappied and 12 lbs trifolded. The covers lasted till about 14 lbs. I'm guessing I probably broke even with what it would have cost to sposie du

My i-devices are out to get me, please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I cd'ed from the beginning with DS but with this one I am skipping them completely. It was such a hassle and only lasted a short time so I sold them all and bought more smalls.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momEmac
I used sposies until my DS cord fell off. I had a rough delivery and I'm glad I waited those two weeks. But anyway, I did GMD orange edge prefolds trifolded or snappied with Thirsties duo covers. It worked great for us. I had 36 prefolds and 6 covers. I could have used a couple more covers, but it wasn't necessary. Since I mostly trifolded this system worked for two months. He was 8 lbs at birth and the orange edge fit till he was about 10 lbs snappied and 12 lbs trifolded. The covers lasted till about 14 lbs. I'm guessing I probably broke even with what it would have cost to sposie du

My i-devices are out to get me, please excuse mistakes.
Oops, DS hit send on me.....
I think I broke even on this newborn system since I bought new, but I've saved everything for the next baby and hope to save more next time, especially since I plan to start cd earlier next time now that I've discovered wool! I will make some upcycled wool pieces and use those until the cord falls off.

I think skipping newborn is completely an individual decision. Every baby is different. And it also depends on what system you prefer. If you want to use all AIO then it's going to cost a lot more than prefolds or flats.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

We use sposies until the umbilicus heals. With my 8.5 lb daughter we used infant prefolds and small covers. With my 9lb son, we got some xs covers and it was nice and trim. Thirsties xs fit for a decent amount of time.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
MariaLA
Registered Users
seller

We use sposies until the umbilicus heals. With my 8.5 lb daughter we used infant prefolds and small covers. With my 9lb son, we got some xs covers and it was nice and trim. Thirsties xs fit for a decent amount of time.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
McDMom
Registered Users

I dud with my last one. My babies start so big anyway I couldn't justify the expense.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I've never CD'd a newborn, so this time around I couldn't resist getting some XS Sandy's and covers. Otherwise I will get some more covers and prefolds just in case I have a tiny baby (DD1 was 6.5 lbs, DD2 just over 7lbs) and otherwise make do with bulky onesize diapers as I have a ton of those!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

I skipped the newborn dipes because I was brand new and believed that OS diapers were actually OS. I didn't find this forum until after DD was born. Plus for my baby shower I got enough sposies to last 6 weeks, which is when I started using cloth. DD was about 7 or 8 lbs then. I had BG 4.0s and Flips with infant size pfs. It was all pretty bulky but worked. BG pockets stuffed with only the NB insert was the trimmest option. I was fine without the NB dipes, but they would've been nice to have.

If I had to do it again I'd get a small NB stash, like maybe 12 NB pfs and 12 AIOs or fitteds, and just use OS dipes as backup if I run out of NB dipes. NB dipes are adorable though! Depending on budget, I might get more.