Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: How many mamas skip newborn diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712 View Post
NB dipes are adorable though! Depending on budget, I might get more.
Yeah, the adorable factor is really getting to me...and I have 7 months left to drool over them and try and resist buying!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started CD'ing DS1 when he was 3 weeks old. I wouldn't buy a brand new newborn stash - I just can't justify the cost since they won't be in them that long. But with DS2 we are definitely CD'ing through the newborn phase. I bought used, or for really good deals, so I should be able to get back most of my costs upon resale - even if we only use them a few weeks. I also bought mostly brands that are known to last longer (NB Simplex, Tots Bots tiny fits) so we should get more use out of them. When I sell, my budget should easily end up ahead than if I used sposies.

Not to mention - the newborn blow-outs we had with DS with sposies were CONSTANT! We didn't get any blow-outs when we switched to cloth. And with cloth, I won't feel like I'm throwing money in the garbage if I have to change diapers again after 30 minutes. Or less. I remember there were several times where we went through 2-3 diapers PER CHANGE because I couldn't even get them fastened on DS1 and he went again. Now if this happens, I won't care. No money wasted.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used nb diapers into the first 4 months - but many of them were too big and could not be used until my girls were closer to 2 months old. It was actually difficult for us to find nb diapers & covers that were small enough so we also just folded down the rise on nb disposables for a while. I really dislike bulk, particularity on newbies.

6lbs 1 oz - birth & comming home weight
5 lbs 8 oz birth weight & 5lbs 4 oz comming home weight
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandive View Post
I started CD'ing DS1 when he was 3 weeks old. I wouldn't buy a brand new newborn stash - I just can't justify the cost since they won't be in them that long. But with DS2 we are definitely CD'ing through the newborn phase. I bought used, or for really good deals, so I should be able to get back most of my costs upon resale - even if we only use them a few weeks. I also bought mostly brands that are known to last longer (NB Simplex, Tots Bots tiny fits) so we should get more use out of them. When I sell, my budget should easily end up ahead than if I used sposies.

Not to mention - the newborn blow-outs we had with DS with sposies were CONSTANT! We didn't get any blow-outs when we switched to cloth. And with cloth, I won't feel like I'm throwing money in the garbage if I have to change diapers again after 30 minutes. Or less. I remember there were several times where we went through 2-3 diapers PER CHANGE because I couldn't even get them fastened on DS1 and he went again. Now if this happens, I won't care. No money wasted.
We folded down the rise on nb sposies because we couldn't find many cloth nb diapers that were small enough & fit well back in '09. And YES, the blowouts & amount of disposables we went through we're insane. We used 15-20 sposies per LO (twins) per day, and sometimes 4 wardrobe changes each!

We're trying for twins again & I'm already stocking up on nb diapers. I can't wait to try nanas bottoms & preemie Megaroos.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

I had infant prefolds for DS when he was born and they were just way to big (along with the small covers). BUT, I just used sposies for the the first 2 weeks while I recovered from my c-section and by the third week, both the prefolds with small covers and my BG 4.0 diapers fit him fine. I think nb diapers are completely unnecessary for some kids. DS was 6lbs9oz when we brought him home from the hospital, but was well over 9 lbs by 1 month.

That said, I snagged a dozen xs sbish OBF fitteds two years ago and am hanging on to them for the next baby.
Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
pottermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I did cloth my nb but I wish I hadn't. I had a chunky 9lb baby that only fit in prefolds and covers and was you big for ask the pockets abs aio I'd gotten. I only had 12 prefolds and for covers so I could only do it part time and feel like I wasted a lot of money.
pottermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymark View Post
We folded down the rise on nb sposies because we couldn't find many cloth nb diapers that were small enough & fit well back in '09. And YES, the blowouts & amount of disposables we went through we're insane. We used 15-20 sposies per LO (twins) per day, and sometimes 4 wardrobe changes each!

We're trying for twins again & I'm already stocking up on nb diapers. I can't wait to try nanas bottoms & preemie Megaroos.
I don't worry about the diapers being too big since big babies run in our family on both sides, DS1 was 7.15 and I expected him to be larger. This baby 3 weeks ago was already measuring 7.9 and I'm 39 weeks now, so he will be big. I'm sure especially you will financially come out ahead with twins, especially if you start planning and slowly building a stash now! I built my stash for over a year, so I was able to take advantage of good deals when I saw them and didn't end up spending a fortune on brand new diapers. I'm really excited to use cloth with a newbie!

And two points that I didn't mention before: The cuteness factor. I mean seriously. how cute is a newborn baby in a newborn cloth diaper!? And second, I really do hate the bulk of a OS diaper on a newbie. Even when DS was 3-4 weeks old I cringe at some of the pictures of the OS diapers I had him in even though they technically fit, they looked really bad.

There just seems to be more pros than cons to use NB diapers, especially if you plan ahead and buy used. I'd much rather be washing poo out of cloth diapers than out of the 4th or 5th outfit that day.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did not cd ds1 until he was 6 months old. So when ds2 came along I got so many things and I sold alot after he was done with them. It was a pain bc I bought so many things and it was rather random but I found what I loved. GMD pfs were awesome. So I kept those for DD and I also got some flats and then a couple more covers and a couple fitteds. I also found an amazing deal on mini eco nappi from swaddlebees. I got like 6 for $40 something brand new.

I gave alot of my nb stash to a friend who moved to Africa so I will not be getting it all back but I still have my flats, yellow pfs and covers. I will get between 12-18 Simplex this time around bc if this lo is anything like her siblings she will be in those for around 4 months. So all the diapers I have for the nb stage will last that long. Flats for the entire diapering.

I will sell the simplex when I am done and put the money towards a OS stash that will take me until PTing--My babes do not get real big. DS2 who is pt'ed and 3 is only 27lbs.

For me it will all be worth it in the end. I hate buying things that end up in the garbage. I was like that before I even knew about cding. With ds1 before I knew about the "CD World" I was so disgusted by disposable, throwing them away, the gels on my baby, the blowouts, and the fact he did not have a cute fluffy butt.

Once I discovered cds it was all over!

Last edited by dagmomma; 01-05-2013 at 10:16 AM.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

I have a heavy milk supply. With my oldest, the NICU asked me to stop bringing milk because I was overloading the freezer. I found cloth because my next ds was wet for his first six weeks in sposies. None would hold him. With dd I purchased nb fitteds, and while they would have fit longer, she outgrew the absorbency in under two weeks. Small fitteds swallowed her, so we moved on to infant prefolds snappied under nb pull-on covers until she fit into medium AIOs. I probably had a few pockets stuffed with hemp for the diaper bag.

For our TTC stash, I have six Lil Joeys, which I am concerned will not be absorbent enough. I have nb covers and some nb bamboo prefolds. I am hoping the bamboo prefolds will prove to be enough. I have a few xs fuzzibunz, and am tempted to get a few more since I can always add a doubler. Thirsties AIOs size one should fit for a while and hold enough, but I know they will be bulky at first. I have a few Applecheeks 2- ply bamboo inserts which others say hold older babies for daytime, and they are surprisingly trim quad folded in a nb cover. Otherwise, I know infant prefolds will work.

While nb fitteds don't tempt me, AIOs and pockets do because of simplicity. I have to remind myself that they probably aren't absorbent enough for my babies.
mothergooseofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We cant skip them. I cd from birth and have tiny babies
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote