Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Nervous about telling my parents about the baby tonight

We've told almost everyone else and they are all really excited for us. My grandparents are coming and I know they'll be happy, but I can already see the look that will be on my parents face. A mix of "really??!" and "do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into??". I know they will be happy eventually, but the initial response is NOT something I really feel like dealing with.

I just talked with my grandma on the phone and she's leaving in the morning to go out of state to care for her mom who is very sick and probably won't live much longer. So we want to tell them before she goes.
I started crying on the phone and now it feels like its going to be an emotional day... Sigh...

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nervous about telling my parents about the baby tonight

Good luck.

I still haven't told my own parents about Hiccup. We have told DH's parents and family, and everyone we see around (town, school, church) knows. But my parents live on the east coast, we're in the middle of the country, so we only see them once a year or so.
I planned to tell them if I needed to (ie. they were visiting while I'm pregnant), but it sounds like they're not planning to come out until next summer. So now I'm thinking we'll likely just wait until after Hiccup is born and we know everything is fine and well.

I will tell them something about not wanting to worry them or whatnot, after losing Elli this hasn't been an easy time. But in honesty, I'm not telling them because they make disgusting, rude, and inappropriate comments about all our pregnancies and I don't want to hear their crap this time.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Best of luck today . Try to embrace all the kind words and acceptance that you receive from others and let negative comments and reactions just roll off your back. It's hard I know. I'm in that same situation with my mother in law. When we told her she was actually speechless for the rest of the night. I love her to death and I know she ends up happy later on. Hang in there mama

I come from a family of 10 and I remember my mom having to deal with these ridiculousness heartless comments all the time and it's just not called for. A baby is ALWAYS a blessing and it's not others choice weather you have a baby or not. I'm happy for you, YAY number 3
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13

Last edited by clothdipemama; 01-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mother never react positively to the news of our latest addition. I know that she knows about our baby girl who is due 2/18/2013, but we haven't spoken in a year because she is explosively abusive. So, thankfully, I have not had to deal with it.

Remember, You are and Adult! This is what you and your husband WANT! If your parents are unhappy that is their problem. I know it hurts because you feel as if they do not love or approve of you or your baby, but that is not your issue.

I highly recommend that your husband be the one to announce the news...joyously! I have found that my mother believes that I have manipulated my hubby into having "all these children," which is not true. And, my father has zero respect for me. However, when I have my husband deal with issues it seems to be taken better and there is no disrespect. However, there still isn't any joy in either of my parents...until after the baby.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dislikes double posts!

Last edited by elioraimmanuel; 01-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.
elioraimmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

you have 2 kids already and you don't know what you've gotten yourself into yet?

good luck mama! I hope they surprise you. Sucks when people can't be happy about babies, no matter what number it is!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

I totally get it. I told my mil before I told my dh or my own mom. I was worried with dh because he was done and this was an oops baby. His reaction was what I expected- he was slow to get it but then was like really? Head down, sigh, $h!t. Yeah great thanks. He's kinda ok now. My mom we told around Xmas and her reaction was crappy too. Honestly the only yays we got were from my dad and his side of the family. Oh and all my ds peeps Mil was happy too. Being our 4th ppl are like whatever lol. My very long point is- either do it and not worry about what they think or hide it and not worry about what they think.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Thanks so much mamas

It went a lot better then I thought it would!! My dad is happy, my grandparents are super excited, my moms still in shock but I think the fact that everyone else was so happy, plus the way we announced it, helped.

I guess the thing I was most worried about was my dad being disappointed in me. I care a lot about him being proud of me, and he'd been saying lately that he thinks I should put the kids in school and take time for myself and to "follow my dreams". But he was happy

We announced it with a rainbow cake (we did the same thing w Dhs family)
Here's the cake

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-260014965.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	129266

And the inside

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3687710955.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	129267

We do "surprises" in our cakes it's a family tradition. So everyone got a pc of paper that said "we love you!" And my mom got one that said "were going to have another grand baby"
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What a neat idea ~ the cake is beautiful!

Glad it went well for you! It is such a better feeling when you know that your family supports you
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Yay! Glad it went well !