Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please reasure me if you can...

We just found a second bout of head lice on my 3 yo DD. This is the 2nd time in 4 months.

Tell me that I could not do anything to prevent it and that it does not mean there is something horribly wrong with us.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is nothing wrong with you.

Coconut shampoo, tea tree oil prevent lice. I will not say anything else as I am sure you already know lol

Happens to the best of us. Hugs!
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Please reasure me if you can...

gosh as a kid...like big kid too...6th 7th grade I think we all passed it around our dance group...took forever for all us girls to stop passing it back in forth...I am sure my mom was mortified. Nothing was wrong with us, good clean kids, just liked sharing brushes and having sleepovers

IT happens

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I feel a little better. Last time I shaved my 3 yo's hear short. #2 clipper because she was due to start pres-school in a week and I didn't want her to miss her first week. This time she has to be out anyway to prevent the other kids getting it, so I won't shave her head again, just brush and brush and brush. She just have a short pixie style going and I cringe thinking I'll have to shave it again.

You know what I hate the most? All the bloody laundry that comes with the territory.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just saw on my pediatricians website that she recommends tea tree shampoo to perhaps prevent lice. I have tea tree oil, does anyone have a recipe for the shampoo? Can I just add it to Suave clarifying shampoo (it is an scent free shampoo with no bells and wistles to it)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I just saw on my pediatricians website that she recommends tea tree shampoo to perhaps prevent lice. I have tea tree oil, does anyone have a recipe for the shampoo? Can I just add it to Suave clarifying shampoo (it is an scent free shampoo with no bells and wistles to it)
Yup. Add a few drops with a handful of shampoo.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nothing wrong with you!
My oldest 3 boys all had it at the beginning of December. It sucked! I was always really crazy about checking their heads at least once a week, and of course when I slacked off for a month or two is when they all got it. Now I'm back to combing through their hair (and mine) every few days, especially after school. I figure that way if they even get one bug on them, I'll catch it before it gets a chance to set up shop.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks, I feel a little better. Last time I shaved my 3 yo's hear short. #2 clipper because she was due to start pres-school in a week and I didn't want her to miss her first week. This time she has to be out anyway to prevent the other kids getting it, so I won't shave her head again, just brush and brush and brush. She just have a short pixie style going and I cringe thinking I'll have to shave it again.

You know what I hate the most? All the bloody laundry that comes with the territory.
Don't shave just get a lice comb and comb a section at a time til the eggs are gone.

Quote:
you can add some to abottle of shampoo and just use it a couple times a week doesn't have to be everyday
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyCrazy View Post
Nothing wrong with you!
My oldest 3 boys all had it at the beginning of December. It sucked! I was always really crazy about checking their heads at least once a week, and of course when I slacked off for a month or two is when they all got it. Now I'm back to combing through their hair (and mine) every few days, especially after school. I figure that way if they even get one bug on them, I'll catch it before it gets a chance to set up shop.
That is a good idea. I'm going to do that every 3rd day and especially after she's been to the playground.

I will let my stepkids do it too. Last time, she got it at the park, I think. She hasn't started playschool yet and her brother and sister (middle schoolers) didn't have it (luckily!) This time the brother and sister had it first - they thought they got it from my DD but she only has one or two bugs right now and they have lots and lots. They love to play rough and they build forts with pillows and soft toys etc. So, I have to wash a whole mountain of pillows and store away the soft toys for two weeks in vacuum bags!

Oh well. That's life.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cool Re: Please reasure me if you can...

It sounds like the older kids picked it up first this time, I can't imagine your 3 year old gave it to them but only had a few bugs herself.
It helps with the combing if you slather their hair with conditioner or baby oil or something. I don't do this during my routine checks but I did when I was still combing out bugs and eggs. If we ever get them again I will skip the lice shampoo all together and just go straight to the haircut and grease combing.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote