Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
gghmommy
Registered Users

silly questions for you with experience!

I've had a baby but I do not know what to expect! My first was born at 28 weeks and I went to the hospital at 26 weeks following a regular OB appt where I had sudden and severe preecclampsia. So, my anxiety now (that I've made it 34 weeks I'm a little calm about baby) is what is birth really like?? I never really had real contractions, though we tried to force my body to deliver. I was waiting until after the holidays to do a childbirth class and it's not until the 19th and $60 (I'm due 2/15 but the doc thinks it'll be early). We're on a tight budget and that seems like a lot when I don't really need a tour or info on how to care for a newborn - got it with some extra equipment thrown in on the first baby! What do ya'll think? I know I'll lose my mucus plug, have contractions when they are closer/consistent we go to the hospital. Even still I may end up with a repeat c-section, so is it worth it? and more silly questions because I'm a dork - when do you have your bags packed? do you just leave an outfit or 2 packed in your go bag? I want to wear my ultra comfy stuff right now and don't want any of it packed!
OK, sorry for long post! thanks

Advertisement

gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: silly questions for you with experience!

I think a natural childbirth class it totally worth it! And I don't mean the classes the hospital gives, where they show you the different kinds of interventions available! For me, a natural childbirth class totally put me at ease, gave me confidence in my own body to deliver a baby naturally, and it also put me and DH on the same page. He had a great experience too and came away with much better feelings about childbirth.

If you can find a good class, take it. If not, try checking out some Bradley birth books, or Ina May's book. Even just reading through a hypobirthing book (without the class) would help.

I tell people childbirth is like running a marathon. You can't just jump off the couch and run it. You have prepare yourself, physically and mentally. You have to know what you're going to do when things get really hard so you can endure to the end. Childbirth is hard and you need strategies and coping mechanisms for when things get hard. You have to a plan to get through it. And I think the natural childbirth classes are really good at teaching that.

Last edited by DesertRat; 01-05-2013 at 02:44 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

At least look up some natural childbirth videos online where they can give you positions and stuff. Everyone's labour is different but most pregnancy books give you the basic outline. Read lots, watch lots. Learn different positions and techniques. Practice relaxing to a cd you like. Practice your breathing. Have your bags packed at 5 weeks to go maybe. Put in it everything you need because you'll forget something otherwise. If there's things you need to put in at the last minute (eg: makeup you're using daily) then have a list of what still needs to go in the bag kept with the bag. I also put a vinyl table cloth over my mattress just in case my water broke at night.
Also write out a birth plan - do you want to delay cord clamping, do you want them to offer pain management or wait for you to ask, do you want the baby on your chest right away, do you want an episiotomy or to tear. There are sample birth plans online. It's good to have thought through all those things even if they don't want to read it at the hospital but all our nurses and OB read mine and did their best to follow it.
Here's a site you can watch a bunch of home births on which are informative even when you're doing a hospital birth
http://www.mybirth.tv/

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 01-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my DS in a hospital with interventions. (I had pitocin and an failed epidural. I was numb from mid thigh down ... so that was not really helpful!)

DH is DS stepdad. DD was his 1st child. We took part of the classes. (I got put on bedrest so couldn't continue the last classes). I thought the classes where informative and up to date. It helped DH to be supportive and to know what to expect. He was able to support my birth choices and understand the process. I had a natural birth birth with DD. (DH was trained as an EMT while in the army. He was pretty familiar with some stuff. I just asked him and he said that he really did like the classes. We made them a "date night")

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

La maze didn't prepare me for stabbing pain in one spot for my oldest. I pack what I want at my. Room...one outfit to come home in & pjs. Few outfits & bring home for baby as its going to be winter (feb 8 ish).debate on nursing pillow. my nurses told me all I needed to know as well. So I don't think class is needed.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We didn't do a class but I read every book I could get my hands on. Classes are expensive and for me far way. I completely agree that childbirth is like a marathon and I think the mental preparation is key.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think a natural childbirth class it totally worth it! And I don't mean the classes the hospital gives, where they show you the different kinds of interventions available!
I just have to say, this statement is not true of all hospital classes. I took one at my hospital and it was very informative re: the stages of labor and the birth process. They did cover pain management options (including drugs) and talked about hospital procedures and monitoring, too, though. They also discussed natural pain management techniques although I am confident many other classes would have been much more in-depth on the topic.

As to whether you should take them or not, it really depends on the labor/delivery you expect. I went in knowing that I had some issues (a large fibroid and too much amniotic fluid) and loosely planning to use pain meds. My classes were free so I took them. But really, most of what I learned could have been gleaned from a couple books. The only exceptions were some of the monitors that they used during labor were there at the classes so I was more familiar and comfortable with them. I would do a tour so you feel confident when delivery time comes regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghmommy View Post
I know I'll lose my mucus plug, have contractions when they are closer/consistent we go to the hospital.
I wouldn't count on it being so um, "normal", for lack of a better word. I lost my mucous plug 12 days before giving birth the first time, and I have no idea when the 2nd time. Also, my contractions never got consistent until they were so close we should have already been at the hospital (we live far away, were told to leave home by the time they are 10 min apart). It was really hard to tell when it was time! We did do child birth classes, which didn't really help me as much as DH, which makes me wonder if he will want to do them again or if I should look into a doula.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I recommend reading Hypnobirthing - The Mongan Method.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwick View Post
I wouldn't count on it being so um, "normal", for lack of a better word. I lost my mucous plug 12 days before giving birth the first time, and I have no idea when the 2nd time. Also, my contractions never got consistent until they were so close we should have already been at the hospital (we live far away, were told to leave home by the time they are 10 min apart). It was really hard to tell when it was time! We did do child birth classes, which didn't really help me as much as DH, which makes me wonder if he will want to do them again or if I should look into a doula.
Yup, mine started out at 5 mins right off the bat and then they were 2 mins apart but I was only 3 cm. I wasn't making any progress and they were so close together I decided to get the epidural and later had to take pitocin because I just wasn't dilating. So yea, hope for the best, be prepared for anything.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote