Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Long-Term Cat Care?

We are in a tough spot - we have the opportunity to go to Hawaii and live for two months, all expenses paid. Unfortunately, we cannot bring our two cats if we go.

They are very sensitive, affectionate kitties, and I don't want to stress them out by putting them in a strange kennel (even if there were a nice one nearby, which there isn't) or having a drop-in sitter for such a long time.

On the other hand, the trip is nothing to sneeze at, and we would be with all my family there.

Normally, we would have the cats stay at my ILs, as they are totally comfortable there...BUT my ILs are traveling during that time as well

Which of these would you choose? (Or suggest another solution, please!)

-Forgo the trip completely
-Take a shorter trip during the time the ILs are available
-Take the trip and find a live-in house/cat sitter willing to do pre-trip visits so it's not a stranger.
-Take the trip and rely on friends to cat-sit in rotation

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

I would do the cat sitter and also have friends and inlaws stop in as much as possible, so the kitties get extra attention. Maybe keep a log, so everyone will know if they have been fed, watered, given treats, etc.
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Could the cats stay with the inlaws when they are in town and then go back to your house with a pet sitter when the inlaws are gone?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Long-Term Cat Care?

I'd find a live in house sitter.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Since you will be gone that long a live-in cat sitter would be my suggestion. Check with your local vet, they may have some names for you of who would be good. That's how I got most of my house sitting gigs.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I would find someone willing to take the cats into their own home to "sit" for them while you are gone. That's what my parents did with their neurotic dog and she was fine, even more than fine. My dad was a little upset that it seemed she liked her sitter more than them. LOL
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

You probably aren't going to find many people willing to take cats into their home on a temporary basis like that. Your cats may be really clean, but unfortunately a lot of people lie about their animals house training habits and even the best trained cat can get stressed and start peeing outside the litter box. I don't know anyone who would foster a cat, but I know a ton of people who will foster dogs.

I would just have a drop in sitter every other day or so to refill food, water, and clean their litter boxes. If you have a lot of good friends, I would try to go that route in a rotation, but that's a lot of weeks to keep track of who is taking care of them that week, plus you'll have to get them to coordinate transfering the key to the house, etc.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Sydsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would see if a friend can take them the whole time or at least while your in laws will be gone. I would totally take in a cat or two for a friend or family member as long as they got along with my cats.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would either a) check to see if a neighbor could check up on them.

or

b) find a pet setter just for the time your parents are out of town
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
lrgs
Registered Users

My Mood:

Actually, there are quite a few people who foster cats......myself included. Granted, I did worry about bathroom habits when we were making the transition, thankfully my guys were fine and adapted well but cats can also be isolated while they make the transition and get used to literbox location.

That said, I would try and find someone to cat sit for you.......they are pretty low maintenance so just change the litter and feed/water them. You might want someone checking in on your house anyway. I know there are pet sitting companies that do this but I don't know how much they charge. Alternatively, I would see if anyone would take them while you are gone.