Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #41
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im pretty gender oriented. I only enjoy buy extremely girly clothes and "stuff" because my two littlest are girls and we are done having babies. Shrug. I love frilly girly stuff and hate buying anything gender nuetral.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

Boys in pink don't bother me. I think it's sweet when they play with dolls. It's sad that little boys are discouraged from being nurturing, as if that's "gay." It's a great quality, and if I ever have boys, I hope they want a doll, or action figure, to nurture in their own way.

I dress DD boyish sometimes- jeans, white shirt, red jacket, grey sneakers, for example. She's been called a "he." It doesn't bother me, and people don't seem offended, but I know it would be much different if I was dressing a son "girly." It's sad, and feeds into this idea that women are lesser. It's okay for girls to want to be like boys, but God forbid it's the other way around.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #43
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's certainly a fascinating phenomenon. I like to think of myself as forward-thinking, but lately I've had to do some soul-searching on that. My son is obsessed with Ariel. So anything with the Disney princesses on it is automatically a must-have item for him, simply because Ariel is on there too. Unfortunately he has passed this princess fascination along to baby sister and now I have two children clamoring for princess stuff when I always swore I would never, ever do that.

They are both fairly gender-balanced, and if they were the same size they would happily exchange clothes. DS gets upset he can't wear sister's butterfly and Minnie Mouse shirts, DD gets upset she can't wear brother's Thomas shirts. I mainly say no because they're the wrong size. But deep down I also freak a little about what people will say, in part because I've already heard a lot of it. I got flack at Kohls from a cashier because I bought DS bracelets to play with. He's incredibly pretty and was constantly mistaken for a girl (sometimes still is) while DD is still often mistaken for a boy (even when wearing a dress). I had an old lady get cross with me when I corrected her because my son was wearing a necklace (amber). I can only imagine the kind of crap I'll hear if I let them wear each others' clothes. I want to protect them from that. But I think I need to stop fighting it and just go with the flow.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #44
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So whats the big deal with making sure babies gender conform?

I LOVED this article about boys playing with dolls. Similar topic of genderification. http://www.drmomma.org/2009/08/real-...dolls.html?m=1

Last edited by kaydove; 01-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #45
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My FIL's name is Courtney and he is all about gender conformity, ironically. He bought my DS a cowboys and indians-style cap gun set when my DS was 3 MONTHS old...you know, in case we accidently let him play with those silly little girly teething rings or something.

But the toughest person in my family to get through to about gender conformity is my 4.5yo DD! She is constantly taking things away from DS (like My Little Ponies or princess stickers) because "they are girl things" and she tells him not to color with the pink marker because that's a girl color. It's not something we enforce at all in our home, though obviously I have my suspicions about the inlaws. I couldn't care less if my son plays with ponies or wants a princess sticker, he can have both while wearing a pink tiara if he wants. I'm working on it...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #46
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydove
I LOVED this article about boys playing with dolls. Similar topic of genderification. http://www.drmomma.org/2009/08/real-...dolls.html?m=1
Great article! My DH recently told me something he read online that I thought was awesome. If you want to know if a toy is for girls or boys, simply ask yourself: Will the child need to use his or her genitals to play with it? If the answer is 'no', the toy is gender neutral
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #47
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I, personally, believe it's because they're close minded. *shrug*

My kids wear whatever they want...DS2 was rocking a princess dress out of the dress up box and insisted on wearing it to the grocery store...a few weeks later DD wore an army costume. Ask me which one got the most dirty looks...people are idiots.

My sons have a pink polo shirt and look awesome in it, my daughter has black, blue, red, green, orange shirts (and so do my boys) and THIS is okay but my sons having a pink shirt is weird?

I, typically, stick with gender specific names just because those are the names I happened to fall in love with. My oldest son is named after my grandpa...perhaps if my grandpa had been my grandpa's brother (Leslie, but we call him Larry) I'd have named my son Leslie after his grandpa...I just happened to have descended from James...ftr, Uncle Larry has a son named Kim and a grandson named Robin lol

If I were to have a 5th and it's a boy his name would likely be Kelley because I love Kelley for a boy. *shrug*

Right NOW I buy mostly gender specific clothing for them because they're old enough to have preferences. DS1 & DS2 prefer trucks & tractors and trains and dinosaurs and Angry Birds on their clothing. DD prefers princesses and flowers and Angry Birds lol
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 01-06-2013 at 08:09 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

No idea! My baby girls room (due at the end of the month) is ocean theme-her crib sheets are blue and green. I got mostly gender neutral diapers except a couple "girly" ones that I will still reuse on a boy. I hope family members follow suit with toys for presents in the future but we'll see about that.

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #49
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous
Boys in pink don't bother me. I think it's sweet when they play with dolls. It's sad that little boys are discouraged from being nurturing, as if that's "gay." It's a great quality, and if I ever have boys, I hope they want a doll, or action figure, to nurture in their own way.

I dress DD boyish sometimes- jeans, white shirt, red jacket, grey sneakers, for example. She's been called a "he." It doesn't bother me, and people don't seem offended, but I know it would be much different if I was dressing a son "girly." It's sad, and feeds into this idea that women are lesser. It's okay for girls to want to be like boys, but God forbid it's the other way around.
Love it and if they were actually gay, so what not that dolls=gay anyway, but just saying.

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm "closed-minded" then cause I love genders to stay different. I don't understand this current philosophy that boys need to be feminine and girls need to be manly. What's so bad about gender roles? BUT obviously we each have our own opinion.