Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #31
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Family of 4 and a minivan-too much space?

We got our first minivan when our second was around a year. Loved it then and love it now.

Advertisement

Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #32
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlFriday13th
I'm going to be the sort of dissenting voice and say I have two kids and wouldn't drive a minivan. But I'm not super comfortable driving something that big. We got a Mazda 5 which has a third row, sliding doors and captains chairs but feels way more like you're driving a larger hatchback. We've been very happy with the amount of room for carpooling/visiting family, vacations and day to day travel. I can fit a britax blink in the back with the third row up and I managed to fit three adults, a ten year old and my two in carseats for a very overpacked beach trip (think multiple folding chairs, coolers and an umbrella). At some point we may get a rooftop carrier but it's not necessary right now.

All this is just to say, if you're not sure you need a full size minivan, it's worth considering.
Thank you for your point of view. I was looking at maybe a Nissan Quest which isn't as big as the Odyssey my DH wants. I will look at these.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #33
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post

Thank you for your point of view. I was looking at maybe a Nissan Quest which isn't as big as the Odyssey my DH wants. I will look at these.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Just check comsumer report first. The Ody and Sienna are the top selling for a reason. They are the most reliable and best built. We did a ton of research before we bought ours and some of the other brands had some really bad legit issues. :/

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have 2 kids and have a minivan! It's perfect!!!
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #35
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I have an odyssey. We bought it before dd was born and he had two 80lbs dogs. We thought we would have two dogs and two kids (now have 3 dogs, soon to be 3 kids). When we first bought it I was embarrassed to actually drive the thing and made dh drive it around for the first month. Lol now I love it. I can't imagine not havi g it now. The amount of different configurations makes it so easy. We would do weekend trips and add my parents and it would still fit all of us (minus dogs of course). Don't regret the purchase at all.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #36
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa View Post
I think it's perfect for 4 plus stroller and dog. You won't regret it.
We had ourmini van before we had even decided on #3. 2 boy and a 90lv dog. Definatly get a mini van.

We took our first road trip as a family of 5 and it the van was full.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #37
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have four kids, and just got a minivan one week after DS4 was born. I wish we had gotten it when DS1 was born .
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wanted minivan when I was single and not even dating. I was a live in nanny in Florida and knew I wanted to move up here (NJ or NE Corridor area). I figured it would be great. My mother convinced me to get a sedan though so I got a Camry.

6 years later I was married and had a DD in the hospital. We only had one car (the Camry) and DH used it to get to work. Our dd was looking like she was going to have tons of doctors visits if she came home so we got our Odyssey. A month later she died. So we had our minivan for nearly 2 years before we had a child that went in it.

My son is now 4 years old and am just now pregnant again. I have never seen our minivan as a waste. I love the space! Our family doesn't need to rent a car when they come to visit. Everyone has loved the van except for MIL who has to one up everyone.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #39
vicky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am pretty sure the quest has the largest indoor space. We got one when we only had one baby because we have two larger dogs and travel alot. Looking back, I would not be able to have anything but a minivan! We just had our third baby, and it kind of feels cramped, not sure I want anything bigger, but I love my minivan(s) (I am on my third).
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #40
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie

Just check comsumer report first. The Ody and Sienna are the top selling for a reason. They are the most reliable and best built. We did a ton of research before we bought ours and some of the other brands had some really bad legit issues. :/

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Yeah Josh and my dad would never let me have anything but a Honda or Toyota! (...or scion but that's made by Toyota.)
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote