Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

curriculum best for prepping to re-enter public school?

That title may not make sense, lol. I am trying to pick some curriculum for next year (2nd grade). This year I am making up my own... geez that's a lot of work.

So as I'm looking through some of the popular ones, it seems like a lot of them don't really focus on the same topics as the public schools might? Like in science, I'm finding curricula that are all about space only, and not anything else, for example. Looks like most 2nd grade students learn about more science topics than that throughout the year.

This wouldn't bother me at all, but the plan currently is to put DD back into school for 3rd grade. So I'd hate for her to do something completely and totally different than her future classmates. Is there a good curriculum that lines up fairly closely with traditional subjects taught?

We are definitely not interested in k12. I like having a little wiggle room.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't know if you have this option, but I called the school my dd wi likely be going to next year and asked them what they use for each subject. What I found (I talked to the most likely private and public school) is that most everything was aligned to the common core, and then how they reach the standards varies widely. For example, the kids need to be able to write the letters of the alphabet, but one school uses D'nealian while the other uses HWT. The common core standards might be something to look at, the list of states that have agreed to use it is on their website I think.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie_j24 View Post
That title may not make sense, lol. I am trying to pick some curriculum for next year (2nd grade). This year I am making up my own... geez that's a lot of work.

So as I'm looking through some of the popular ones, it seems like a lot of them don't really focus on the same topics as the public schools might? Like in science, I'm finding curricula that are all about space only, and not anything else, for example. Looks like most 2nd grade students learn about more science topics than that throughout the year.

This wouldn't bother me at all, but the plan currently is to put DD back into school for 3rd grade. So I'd hate for her to do something completely and totally different than her future classmates. Is there a good curriculum that lines up fairly closely with traditional subjects taught?

We are definitely not interested in k12. I like having a little wiggle room.

Thanks!
I'm not sure where you are located, but here the students get no formal science until 4th grade. Up until that grade, all they do is math, reading and grammar.

Let me add, I have a great disdain for the ps's here. I student taught here and it completely turned me off.

With that said, I wouldn't worry much about science. Read lots of good books or pick a general science curriculum. You could even exlpore the world outside. You can find the state course of study objectives online as well. It would give you an idea of what students in 2nd are suppposed to accomplish.
snorris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Re: curriculum best for prepping to re-enter public school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorris2 View Post
I'm not sure where you are located, but here the students get no formal science until 4th grade. Up until that grade, all they do is math, reading and grammar.

Let me add, I have a great disdain for the ps's here. I student taught here and it completely turned me off.

With that said, I wouldn't worry much about science. Read lots of good books or pick a general science curriculum. You could even exlpore the world outside. You can find the state course of study objectives online as well. It would give you an idea of what students in 2nd are suppposed to accomplish.
Ack! I can't believe your schools don't do science. Science is so FUN!

I did find the state standards, and it looks like they cover... um, everything? Weather, physical science, some basic biology, basic chemistry and physics concepts. Seems like I can't find a HS curriculum that does the same introductions to those topics.

I agree with you entirely on the disdain. I taught as well, and it was a major turnoff. We are in AZ now (ugh) but we are moving to VA this summer. The town we're moving to has great public schools. So I'm going to continue to homeschool next year (DH will be deployed so it'll give us flexibility to travel), but likely will go for school the following year since there are great schools there, and I miss my career a lot!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Ack! I can't believe your schools don't do science. Science is so FUN!

I did find the state standards, and it looks like they cover... um, everything? Weather, physical science, some basic biology, basic chemistry and physics concepts. Seems like I can't find a HS curriculum that does the same introductions to those topics.

I agree with you entirely on the disdain. I taught as well, and it was a major turnoff. We are in AZ now (ugh) but we are moving to VA this summer. The town we're moving to has great public schools. So I'm going to continue to homeschool next year (DH will be deployed so it'll give us flexibility to travel), but likely will go for school the following year since there are great schools there, and I miss my career a lot!
Yeah, it's pretty awful here. The administration claims that science/social studies is integrated into the reading curriculum. Um, no it's not. I've seen every grade level of it. It makes me angry for these students. I would have to teach some science. It's one of my favorite subjects. Our schools here are just failing fast though. This is just one reason my husband and I are against the public schools though.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For an introduction to many different topics, you could just get library books on the topics you want to cover. You could do a couple weeks or a month on each topic, reading relevant books, watching videos, and maybe do some very simple demonstrations/experiments.

You could also try Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by B. Nebel. This curriculum cycles through different areas of science with discussions, activities, and suggested readings.

Another approach you could try would be to use the Magic Schoolbus episodes as a jumping off point for further explorations. They cover many different scientific topics in a fun way and you could supplement them with books, etc.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
snorris2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
For an introduction to many different topics, you could just get library books on the topics you want to cover. You could do a couple weeks or a month on each topic, reading relevant books, watching videos, and maybe do some very simple demonstrations/experiments.

You could also try Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by B. Nebel. This curriculum cycles through different areas of science with discussions, activities, and suggested readings.

Another approach you could try would be to use the Magic Schoolbus episodes as a jumping off point for further explorations. They cover many different scientific topics in a fun way and you could supplement them with books, etc.
I like these ideas.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Oooh I love the magic school bus idea! We have discovery streaming so that would be easy.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oooh I love the magic school bus idea! We have discovery streaming so that would be easy.
We do the Magic School Bus idea here too. We add in lapbooks for most of the subjects, supplement with books, and really like doing the activities they have listed on their site!
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
snugglebutter
Registered Users
seller

Evan Moor Daily Science covers a variety of topics in each grade. I wouldn't consider it a full curriculum but you could always get library books etc to expand on the topics.
S - happy to be homeschooling and expecting #5!
snugglebutter is offline   Reply With Quote