Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #21
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
You get money sent to you every month just for having children?? Man, I'm jealous!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
andrea020611
Registered Users

I was shocked that the universal child care benefit was taxable, not a happy surprise at tax time last year!! We also get some random cheques in the mail for 5 or 6 dollars every few months, I guess that's the child tax benefit.

I wish I lived in Quebec, the subsidized daycare spots there would be amazing - $7 per day!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Canadian mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
Oh I remembered another program we have in Canada too - a few times a year (3 I think) low income people get a GST cheque. It is supposed to off-set the cost of our sales tax. I don't know how it is based, income etc (?) since I haven't had it in several years.
Yup, income based, normally given out quarterly, but I discovered this year if the amount is lower than $100 total they give it to you all at once. Our province has a quarterly sales tax thing too, I think we get around $15-20/quarter

Andrea020611- I think your random cheques are GST...Child Tax is very regular, always on the 19th/20th of the month, same day as the UCCB (they come direct deposit to my account at the same time).

eco-mum -yup! and the more kids you have, the more you get (well except that $100 which is done at age 6 because it is meant to offset child care and by that age most kids are in school full time - however, I still have to pay for before school care!)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
andrea020611
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-mum
You get money sent to you every month just for having children?? Man, I'm jealous!
It's pretty sweet, but we do pay a lot of taxes, I lose about 30% of my paycheck to income tax, then pay into the Canada pension plan and employment insurance on top of that (about $100 per week for these combined).

Last edited by andrea020611; 01-06-2013 at 09:30 AM.
andrea020611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #25
jmrw2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah the child tax benefit is all based on income. I have three children and mine covers my groceries plus a few bills. I don't know what I would do without it.
jmrw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrw2 View Post
I don't know what I would do without it.
Yeah, you are right...now that I think on it, it covers my groceries pretty much exactly. It also is a relief to know when I am on mat leave for #3 my amount will be greater to cover the loss in income until I am back to work (of course I also won't be paying for daycare then)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #27
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
If you don't mind, can I ask what his tax rate is?
Regarding tax rates - things aren't that simple here. Our rates are based on levels. For arguments sake I am going to use totally made up numbers....

For income tax say someone made $50,000.
Level one the first $10,000 is tax free
Level two they then pay 10% on everything between $10,000 and $30,000
Level three THEN they pay 15% ONLY on the amount between $30,000 and $40,000.

Our income tax rates are actually LOWER then the states at the highest and lowest income levels!!!

Where we make up the ideal of having "higher taxes" is we pay a federal sales tax on most purchases. Then we contribute to Canada Pension Plan for our retirement and to Employment Insurance. We don't have a choice on those programs it comes right off our cheque. BUT in exchange we have a small pension to draw on and generous sick leave, caregiver leave (including maternity and paternity for either mom or dad for almost a year), and un-employment insurance. Our unemployment insurance is NOT as difficult to get as yours - we pay into it and are entitled to use it.

Then we have "free" health care. Out of pocket likely the average Canadian family pays about the same as the average American family because we don't have to pay $300 - $1200 a month for our health insurance.

Then as this thread has said families with children are entitled to quite a bit of financial assistance.

This article explains things is an easy to read way in greater detail...
http://www.investopedia.com/financia...#axzz2HDNfpBNt

I've never crunched the numbers but I would hazard to guess that when you combine everything, and compare to a family that has to purchase private insurance, Canadians likely pay less out of their salary.

(Even if we pay a bit more we are of a very different in mindset here. The VAST majority of people would rather pay a bit more so that everyone has access to medical care and social programs, we are raised with a subtle mindset that it is best to take care of the greater good. It isn't something shoved down our throats but is more a feeling of "of course I want to make sure little kids have enough to eat, or someone with cancer can get better, I'd be a horrible person if I didn't WANT to help them."

Last edited by mg5g; 01-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #28
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

We were just over 70,000 and paid an "effective" tax rate of about 13 percent after deductions and credits.... 30 is so much...

I would rather save the other money myself and use it for what I want when I need it.

America has too many freeloaders to trust them to do responsible things with other people's money.

I.E. the mom who had 8 kids on fertility treatments of some sorts and ended up on assistance.

Last edited by Sarahknavy; 01-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Sarahknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

"[/QUOTE]
(Even if we pay a bit more we are of a very different in mindset here. The VAST majority of people would rather pay a bit more so that everyone has access to medical care and social programs, we are raised with a subtle mindset that it is best to take care of the greater good. It isn't something shoved down our throats but is more a feeling of "of course I want to make sure little kids have enough to eat, or someone with cancer can get better, I'd be a horrible person if I didn't WANT to help them."[/QUOTE]

Yeah,avast majority of Americans are very me focused when it comes to their stuff/money. Many people would be in a very "oh, I feel bad for them.... But I can't afford to help" then go sit down in front of their 50 in platinum screen and play angry birds on the iPhones- kind of mindset.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #30
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg View Post
I've never crunched the numbers but I would hazard to guess that when you combine everything, and compare to a family that has to purchase private insurance, Canadians likely pay less out of their salary.
I would think that is probably pretty accurate...for DH and I, roughly $700-800 comes off our combined pay every month in deductions, and that includes $$ going into private pension plans through work and DH's work benefits (mine are free!) on top of the normal income tax, EI, CPP. I don't even want to imagine what health insurance for our soon to be family of 5 would cost if we lived in the US!