Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: diaper rash help needed.

Sween cream! We live by it for red noses, dry skin and light burns. Do you intake a lot of dairy or something might be irritant? Bag balm is another idea. We tried but really oily and I don't like it but my mother in law used it. I never used tripple paste or anything like that.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
kirst
Registered Users
seller

My son had this type of rash when I was pumping. It went away when I switched him to formula (he's on Similac Sensitive now). It sounds allergic, but isolating what exactly you are eating that is causing it can be tricky.

Calmoseptine cream is a good barrier cream I tried recently that kind of has numbing effect. It's calamine, lanolin, sodium bicarbonate, thymol, phenol, 15% zinc oxide, and gycerin.
I've been using it for teething rash on my son, but have discovered it is great for my own excema. The numbing effect lasts about an hour. It is NOT cloth diaper safe, obviously...but it does soothe and so far works better than anything else I've seen (I've had excema for 40 years so I have tried a ton of different creams).

For cloth diaper safe cream, you could try Earth momma Angel Baby Earth Momma Bottom Balm. It's intended for mommas for tearing and episiotomies, etc (not a diaper rash cream, per se) but it has a menthol based numbing effect, too. Whenever I put that on my son's sore butt, he stops crying instantly...it pretty much soothes right away. Doesn't last as long as the Calmoseptine, though. I give that cream as a shower gift to everyone I know now...it's sweet merciful goodness.

The Sween cream that a PP mentioned is dimethicone and is also cloth diaper safe, but doesn't numb or heal anything....it's simply a soluble barrier cream, but it is cloth diaper safe.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally I don't feel this is a food sensitivity related to milk or gluten. This screams "acidic rash!" to me.

First, change frequently and change poops as soon as possible. Second, make a paste of baking soda and breast milk and apply that directly to the diaper area. It is cloth diaper safe. It will help neutralize the acid that has caused the rash in the first place and heal the skin.

You'll want to try eliminating things that are highly acidic, like OJ, tomatoes, carbonated beverages (if nothing else seems to work), etc.

ETA: This part of this link may help you
Quote:
Allergy ring - a variety of foods can irritate baby's bottom, especially acidic foods such as citrus and tomato-based sauces.
Appearance - a red ring around baby's anus.
Treatment - discontinue suspected foods. Breastfeeding moms may need to eliminate foods from their diet.

Last edited by Spunkify; 01-06-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
wifey09
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
I agree with you that it's likely diet related. Milk, gluten, and soy are the top offenders. Dairy can take 2-3 weeks to get out of your system, so if that's the offender it may take some time to see improvement.
^^^this
wifey09 is offline   Reply With Quote