Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:
Moving and switching doctors

So when do doctors stop accepting pregnant patients and why? Just curious. I'm going to have to be moving soon and I'm 21 weeks pregnant now.

Someone told me the later you move while pregnant the harder it might be to find someone to deliver my baby. I don't want to get stuck not having someone checking up on the baby and walking into an ER when I'm in labor. When I move I am going to be finding a midwife so hopefully things will be different. Do midwives do this too or is it just OBs? I would like to have a home birth but if I have trouble finding someone I'll deliver anywhere.

What would you suggest doing? Should I be calling midwives now? I have a list and I was planning on it when I arrived where we are moving but I don't know when I should start. Hopefully that made sense!

Advertisement

Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
The benefit of lining up a midwife early is that most midwives only take so many patients that are due in a certain time frame. So, if you're going that route, I'd call earlier rather than later to lock in a spot.

Doctors, on the other hand, are able to accommodate many more people and at 21 weeks, you ought to be fine.

Higher risk patients or mothers who are a bit farther along may have more difficulties just because doctors like to do the testing and such themselves.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Moving and switching doctors

OT, kind of, but where are you moving to?!? Closer to me?!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
mommyluvsfluff
Registered Users

My Mood:

yes, start calling midwives now. they all have a set number of patients they can manage. also if you're doctors/hospitals are anything like the ones i had you will get the run around when trying to get you medical information sent to your midwife. i'd say its best to find a midwife that is willing to take you, find out what med info she will need, and then go directly to the hospital, ob, etc and get hard copies and then take it with you and hand deliver to your new midwife.
mommyluvsfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info girls! Great idea about taking my info and hand delivering. The next time I'll probably get to see someone I'll be around 25 weeks. I've been given a week to move so I'm trying to get everything together fast. I'll start calling midwives on Monday.
Ashley: No, I'm moving over 1,200 miles away by next Friday. Then when I get there I have to find a house. I'm beyond frustrated but that is beside the point. lol
Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kaun View Post
Thanks for the info girls! Great idea about taking my info and hand delivering. The next time I'll probably get to see someone I'll be around 25 weeks. I've been given a week to move so I'm trying to get everything together fast. I'll start calling midwives on Monday.
Ashley: No, I'm moving over 1,200 miles away by next Friday. Then when I get there I have to find a house. I'm beyond frustrated but that is beside the point. lol
Tell hubby he sucks for moving you further away. Atleast with where you are now, it wouldn't have been IMPOSSIBLE to meet up. Ugh.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We moved and I switched OBs at 36 weeks with my son, no hassles with that.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didnt have trouble, per say, but both offices I contacted hesitated and insisted on having my records asap. One wouldnt let me make an appt without them. The other needed abunch of info and the nurse had to then discuss it with the doc. So I would definitely make sure you have your records in hand, set up meet and greets, and dont worry too much. BTW, I was also 21 weeks.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We moved from the west coast to the middle of Canada when I was 7.5 months along with DS1. I saw an OB once, then went to the MWs, and then ended up having to go back to the OB at 37-38 weeks.
With DS2 I started with the MWs, then had to go to my OB at 39 weeks.
No problems either time, just called for an appt and they fit me right in.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
loveramongstars
Registered Users

I switched at about 29 weeks to a midwife. They scheduled me in right away. Granted they were the only one to take Medicaid in my area. I would call and talk to them before anything else.

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote