Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Alternative terms for Mama Cloth

Lady linens, happy cloth, fem fluff, lily pads, luna layers, chick-gear, and for fun, knicker ninjas.

Any other ideas?

On a cloth pad forum, a number of women are expressing varying levels of distress or discomfort with the term mama cloth which seems less inclusive of barren women and non-traditional women as well as teens and young professionals. One member was quite upset to realize she had bought pads recently from a seller who uses the term "mama cloth," so for some this is **quite** sensitive. The above terms are some of the many alternatives that were thrown out there.

Although I am single, I am at a time in my life in which I mostly know moms and try to embrace all-things-mom from labor discussions to bedroom discussions for the sake of entering their world. But mama cloth can nonetheless be a little jarring at times.

Lady linens strikes me as one of the cuter terms, but it could offend women who find the word "lady" condescending. And most of the cloths do not much resemble linens. Happy cloth and knicker ninjas lack orienting descriptives.

Do you have a favorite?

Advertisement

debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Alternative terms for Mama Cloth

p.s.--A couple of women also indicated confusion, having assumed mama cloth was only post-partum... something sellers may wish to keep in mind in advertising if you want them to click on your site.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I mostly refer to them as cloth pads. When I first heard of "mama cloth" I was a bit confused about why it was just for moms (I was not a mom at the time). I think the term derives from the fact that its cloth not for babies (i.e. diapers). So, while I'm not personally offended by the term, I can see it being off putting and/or confusing. I have only used them postpartum, as I prefer my Diva cup when I'm having regular cycles. And I made my own because I'm cheap.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can see where it might be upsetting for some. I never thought about it like that so thanks for bringing it up here.

I like lady linens, but of course you can always say "cloth menstrual pads". My least favorite term was happy cloth. Reminds me of that movie happy feet. And besides I am definitely not super happy during that week of the month, lol.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yarnjess, I suspect the term did evolve on account of so many women discovering MCs while CDing. And I don't expect sellers to delete the term mama cloth from their listings in part b/c it is probably a popular search engine term. Yet there still could be ways to incorporate more inclusivity and naming options.

Holly, you made me laugh b/c I don't know if you realize it, but in Hebrew "feet" is actually an oblique way of referring to women's privates. As one seminarian I know has said, the movie "Happy Feet" in Hebrew would have a NC-17 rating. That said, I think the term "happy cloth" was devised by one user precisely to combat unhappy attitudes at that time of the month.

I tend to say "cloth pads" myself, but I like the idea of inserting some fun into it as with lady linens and lily pads. "Mama cloth" has, I think, a cutesy appeal (as in mama has her stash just like baby), so it would be nice to have cutesy or spunky alternatives.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm a call-it-what-it is kind of person, so if I stop to think about it, any of the cutesy names sound just a bit condescending, including mama cloth. When I am talking to my husband about them, I refer to them as menstrual pads or pads, and in the unlikely scenario that I would be discussing them with a random person, I'd call them cloth menstrual pads.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

Over here they tend to be called CSP (Cloth San Pro) or fairy hammocks (because of a comedian who called them that, when they had the loops on the end)! I much prefer both of these!
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Danner, yes, I don't often discuss them with the uninitiated (tempting as it sometimes is b/c of how much I hate sposies), but if I do, they are "cloth menstrual pads" for the sake of maximum comprehension.

However, I am not anti-cutsey even if I often resort to the most practical wording. So among the initiated in FSOT or in daily life, it might be nice to have some alternatives. For instance, I don't like the term "aunt flo" and so might like saying, "It's time for me to get my lady lady linens." At present, I usually resort to the stiff upper lip, "my monthly" or "my period."
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaE80 View Post
Over here they tend to be called CSP (Cloth San Pro) or fairy hammocks (because of a comedian who called them that, when they had the loops on the end)! I much prefer both of these!
HA! I love fairy hammocks among the initiated. I would never have guessed what they referred to, but it's fun.

Sanitized Professional Cloth? (I'm guessing at what Cloth San Pro means.)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
SashaE80
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cloth sanitary protection, but near enough!
SashaE80 is offline   Reply With Quote