Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

I have become what I never wanted to become...

A human pacifier.

All my dd wants to do is nurse. All night. And tons during the day too. We used to be on a more regular schedule, and she used to sleep 8-10 hours, and now she's up constantly. We started off cosleeping and now do a mixture of crib (right next to me - close enough to touch) and cosleeping. If she's in bed with me she wakes up crying all through the night and wants to nurse - even if she just sucks for a minute and falls back to sleep. If she's in the crib she cries until I take her out. She'll fall asleep, but usually she'll wake up and cry as soon as I put her down again. She'll only get asleep enough if I nurse her.

She's teething, but she's been teething for ages, the the teeth are pretty much all the way in. This didn't happen with her bottom teeth.

And I just can't leave her to cry it out. I used to wait and she would cry for a minute or a couple of minutes and then fall back to sleep, but now she gets super worked up and just can't. So I don't know what to DO!

She's my first and she's 7 months old...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

dorajoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This too shall pass

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
addicteddad
Registered Users

Re: I have become what I never wanted to become...

7 months old? Seems pretty normal, where else would she turn for comfort if not her mom?
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Whenever my kids teethed I became the human pacifier. It will pass and come again. It's cyclical. You are doing a great job.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes it will pass, eventually, but until then I understand your frustration. Can daddy help at all during the night? That's how we night weaned #1. how's her weight? Typically 7 month olds don't *need* to nurse at night but most of them want too. So if the situation is not working for you look into moving her into her own room and recruit some night time help.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It really does get better...until the next set of teeth. Around 7 months, my DD popped out 4 teeth in 2 weeks. She was a miserable baby for 2 weeks. If you really need a break, some tylenol or advil will help her sleep a little longer.

If it's any consolation, my 2 year old (27 months) is doing this currently. After a 9 month hiatus from teething, she's just now getting her 2 year molars and has reverted to the same nursing frequency as a newborn. Sigh....we were just going to wean too.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
dorajoan
Registered Users
seller

The Doctor said today (at her month late 6 month appoinment) that I should move her to another room and if she cries, let her cry for 10 minutes and then go into her. She weighs 20 pounds and the dr said she definitely doesn't need to eat - she's just gotten into the habit of wanting to, so I shouldn't do it at night time. I have never let her cry for more than about 3 or 4 minutes. I can't stand it. Anyone have input about this advice? I've just been bringing her into bed with me and letting her nurse because I've been so exhausted lately, which I know has not helped...
dorajoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorajoan View Post
The Doctor said today (at her month late 6 month appoinment) that I should move her to another room and if she cries, let her cry for 10 minutes and then go into her. She weighs 20 pounds and the dr said she definitely doesn't need to eat - she's just gotten into the habit of wanting to, so I shouldn't do it at night time. I have never let her cry for more than about 3 or 4 minutes. I can't stand it. Anyone have input about this advice? I've just been bringing her into bed with me and letting her nurse because I've been so exhausted lately, which I know has not helped...
I was you. I didn't want to be a pacifier, but it worked. We night weaned with DHs help at 12 months. We picked a time, say if she woke up before 3 am, he would rock her back to sleep, after that Id nurse/cosleep. Then we just extended the time. I did do what your ped described (similar to Ferber) for my 1st daughter around 18 months when she was waking and wanting to play, but could never make myself when they were still nursing.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else, normal, and it will get better. That doesn't mean it's not hard now!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorajoan View Post
I do not agree with this. I would never let my baby CIO like that. We know she doesn't need to nurse for food, but she does for comfort. Keep doing what you have been instinctually. She will not go to college on your boob, I promise.

My 9 month old is doing this right now. He just got 4 teeth. I just go with the flow.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote