Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: what was I thinking?

Well, my DD just turned 5 in November and she has been BEGGING me for one of the 18" dolls for a year now. I've bought Kanani for her, but she remains in my office and will probably wait until her 6th birthday later this year. She got her Bitty Baby last year at 4yo and then this Christmas she got the Bitty Twin girl. For now, she's more into the baby doll stage. Rocking, feeding, nursing them, pushing them around in the strollers and putting them in all of my 3month old's baby equipment.

She does have an AG knockoff I got at Michael's for very cheap, but she doesn't play with her much because the hair is atrocious. It's just really, really cheap and crappy. We have to keep the hair put up in a braid. So DD doesn't have a lot of interest in her, other than changing her outfits here and there.

I would put her McKenna and things away until next year or even when she's 8. She may just not be ready for a big dolly yet.

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

BTW, I feel for you. DD and DS2(3yo) have been begging me for the Bitty Twins since last year and we got our first catalog. I bought them their chosen twin for Christmas and DS2 totally rejected his. Doesn't want it at all. I was SO excited to finally get them their babies they'd talked about for so long and then he didn't want it. I COULD just let DD keep him. She'd play with him and love him and have a blast adding him to her collection. But, DS2 has already given her his Bitty Baby (that he's loved since last year and played with constantly) so now she has 3 babies to play with and care for. I'm not sure she really needs another one. I have it listed on my local CL, but anytime someone asks about him I cringe and secretly hope they won't buy it, lmbo.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 6 yr old spends HOURS pouring over the AG mags. Then the next day she'll cut out the pics and play with those for hours and hours lol. It's nuts! We got some of the books from a library sale (.50 cents each!) and bought 3 Our Generation dolls from target but she NEVER plays with the dolls . Those were $25-35 each so not "cheap" for us. I dunno- I think it's the matching outfits etc that attract more than the actual dolls. Maybe when she's older
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
My 6 yr old spends HOURS pouring over the AG mags. Then the next day she'll cut out the pics and play with those for hours and hours lol. It's nuts! We got some of the books from a library sale (.50 cents each!) and bought 3 Our Generation dolls from target but she NEVER plays with the dolls . Those were $25-35 each so not "cheap" for us. I dunno- I think it's the matching outfits etc that attract more than the actual dolls. Maybe when she's older
Is it wrong that I pour over the magazines too? . I don't cut them out so maybe that means I am a grown up . But my girls each have an at doll that they don't use but when the catalog comes all the females in my house crowd around it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Is it wrong that I pour over the magazines too? . I don't cut them out so maybe that means I am a grown up . But my girls each have an at doll that they don't use but when the catalog comes all the females in my house crowd around it.
Hehe I have no prb with her liking the mags but I think it's weird that's she's all meh on the actual dolls in the house

Trust me- I sneak peaks at the mags too

Last edited by erin_c_odonnell; 01-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.
erin_c_odonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
lookatreestar
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
I think what makes them special is the stories. Without those they are just another doll. Have you read the McKenna books to her? I would start there and get the doll back out when she is showing interest in the books. Or when she is able to read them independently.

I loved the books but never got a doll (too expensive.) I would pour through the ag catalog and dream though and that was fun too!
yup this. i saved all my books and i hope my dd enjoys them as much as i did!

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We got my dd1 her first AG doll when she was almost 7, she played with her for a few days and stripped off the clothes and that was the end of the fun, so I put her Samantha away.
We got d2 a bitty baby and bitty twin for Christmas, she loves the bald bitty more than the blond baby right now but will play with both. She likes to push her bitty baby in her stroller walker around the house here, it's so cute!
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

I think it depends on the girl. DD got her first just after turning 5 and she's in great shape still. She got Kanani for her 6th birthday and McKenna for Christmas. They get played with nearly daily and she brushes their hair and takes great care of them. But, she has a friend who really wanted a doll and she got one and barely does anything with it at all.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #29
Queensasha17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think about 8-9 is when I played with mine the most. Its probably different for everyone though.
Queensasha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

8-10 for a doll seems so late to me. I guess it's not though, since everyone seems to agree. Hmmm...