Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Painting my raised bed?

Can I safely paint my raised garden bed black? I'd love to add a bit of solar heat to the bed; is this a good idea?
I'm a total newb at gardening, this will only be my 3rd season (last year, hugely pregnant with twins and completely unmotivated, I did nothing!).
I'm in Western Washington, so I don't worry much about blistering heat being a problem... Am I misguided? Crazy? I'm so ignorant to this... Help!
IF it IS a good idea, is there a certain paint I should use?

The bed is up against my house on a South-facing wall, and the weather is usually very mild. It's colder here than Seattle, but not by much. I just notice my plants thriving more when it's warm, and I can't help but think a black bed would assist things... But I could be WAY wrong. Please advise!

Advertisement

KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Painting my raised bed?

hmm that's interest. As long as you are using a green (eco) based paint I probably would give it a shot. Im not really "seeing" any negative side effects by it but many someone else can chime in on it
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To get any benefits, your whole goal would be to increase the soil temperature of the raised bed. Painting the wood surrounding your bed black would only be the first step. You'll also need to find some clear plastic landscaping fabric to cover the surface of the soil. Clear plastic oddly enough, traps more heat than black plastic.

You can also use garden cloches as mini greenhouses to trap heat around a plant. I use 1 gallon milk jugs with the bottom sawed off. Don't forget to keep the lid on the jug.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves View Post
Can I safely paint my raised garden bed black? I'd love to add a bit of solar heat to the bed; is this a good idea?
I'm a total newb at gardening, this will only be my 3rd season (last year, hugely pregnant with twins and completely unmotivated, I did nothing!).
I'm in Western Washington, so I don't worry much about blistering heat being a problem... Am I misguided? Crazy? I'm so ignorant to this... Help!
IF it IS a good idea, is there a certain paint I should use?

The bed is up against my house on a South-facing wall, and the weather is usually very mild. It's colder here than Seattle, but not by much. I just notice my plants thriving more when it's warm, and I can't help but think a black bed would assist things... But I could be WAY wrong. Please advise!
It's not silly! You're on the right path! While I'm sure it would look lovely, I know mine are constantly damp or even completely saturated depending on whether it's rained or not. unless you painted the whole thing inside and out I think the paint would probably just curl off due to moisture. Plus the chemicals aren't ideal. If you wanted to stay with those same beds, I would suggest black plastic mulch or thick black plastic sheeting as a effective alternative. Here's black plastic used for tomatoes:

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/715.html

I used it last year under my heat loving crops to get them started a full month earlier than the usual. Burying bricks/rocks and painting them black and setting them among the plants would help as a "heat sink" for your warm loving plants too. http://www.permies.com/t/5775/permaculture/Rocks-garden

Alternately, you could erect a greenhouse hoop over the bed which would trap the heat of the day and extend it into the night creating more growth hours which when I think about it would probably be your very BEST solution.

http://groworganic.com/organic-garde...n-a-raised-bed
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote