Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users

3 across- 2FF, 1Booster?

My husband and I keep switching vehicles based on who has the kids. It's not a huge deal but we both prefer to drive our own vehicles so we'd like to get a second set of car seats. He drives an older model Ford Explorer. We need to fit 2 forward facing car seats and 1 booster (I'd prefer high back) across his back seat. We have really good car seats in my car but by husband rarely drives the kids so we want a cheap option.

So far I'm looking at the Safety First Guide 65 or the Harmony Defender for the forward facing harness. Are there any other affordable options? I'm concerned about the Defender's harness length. I've read about problems with that.

We have a 6 (almost 7) year old that I'd like in a high back booster. A 4 (almost 5) year old that's little. He weighs less thatn 35 pounds and I'd like him in a forward facing harness. Finally we have a 2 1/2 year old that I want in a forward facing harness.

Thanks!

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 across- 2FF, 1Booster?

The only way we got 3 across in my husbands toyota camry and then ford tauris was

1 harmony defendor
1 bubble bum
1 RF evenflow sureride

or (when the 3rd was in a bucket seat.)

2 GN nautalis (this was very very tight and barely worked) we ended up going to the above option
1 baby trend bucket seat
Old 12-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh man, we just went through all of this. We had to get a different vehicle because we just could not fit our RF kiddos, boostered kiddo, & older two in our minivan safely. I tried a good 25-30 seats, boosters, etc.

I found the most narrow HB booster seat is this Safety 1st one: http://www.kmart.com/safety-1st-store-n-go-belt-positioning-booster/p-023V008000967000P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&kpid=023V 008000967000&kispla=023V008000967000P&kpid=023V008 000967000&mktRedirect=y

I was in love w/many others that tethered, folded for transporting, etc., but none of them would fit... not even the backless ones. I about ripped my hair out trying the Bubble Bum, but I know others have had great success w/them.

We have an Expedition & can fit 2 RF seats (Radian XTSL & a Graco bucket) & that booster in our 2nd row. We may be able to fit a larger booster (width wise) in that row, but we need the booster to be in the 3rd row because we have 2 older kiddos & moving the booster seat in & out of the truck every time we get in & out of the 3rd row is not something we want to do, especially not when we already have our hands full w/a newb & a toddler too. If we HAVE to we will, but everybody fits in the 3rd row comfortably (it's tight but comfortable & safe still) so we keep it that way. Our older 2 in the 3rd row are big kids... one is taller/bigger than me & the other is not that big, but she is still very tall for her age so it is like we have 2 adults & a booster seat back there... and the elbow & leg room are still good.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
7mom7
Registered Users

Thanks, this was helpful! I went ahead an placed an order for 3 new seats from Walmart. At least the shipping was free and they great about returns if it doesn't work out. I'm just not a fan of switching vehicles every time I have to go to work.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Thanks, this was helpful! I went ahead an placed an order for 3 new seats from Walmart. At least the shipping was free and they great about returns if it doesn't work out. I'm just not a fan of switching vehicles every time I have to go to work.
Glad you found what you need! Yes, WM is great for returns/ exchanges. Some of the car seats & boosters I tried I had to order from them. No problems w/returning the ones I couldn't fit into my vehicle.

I don't blame you for not wanting to switch. I have certain things I keep in my vehicle that aren't in DH (like gluten free snacks for my kids & me, extra water, extra dipes, wipes, etc.) & it never fails that I forget to bring whatever it is w/me & I end up needing it. DH doesn't want me keeping a bunch of stuff in his vehicle because it is small (I don't blame him because I don't want him keeping a bunch of stuff in mine either w/space at such a premium w/car seats) & he has tools (like chainsaws, etc.) he has to be able to fit in his sedan... not to mention I don't want to keep anything in there anyway because it risks getting oil, gas, etc. on it from his tools. Anyway, I know it can be a hassle to switch.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Harmony Defender is the most narrow FF combination seat. The Harmony Folding Booster is a narrow hbb that works well for 3 across, but doesn't allow any overhang.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
z1ncy
Registered Users

What about the Radian Dino? It is supposed to be really narrow. We have liked it for our son.
z1ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
xin_ying
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1ncy View Post
What about the Radian Dino? It is supposed to be really narrow. We have liked it for our son.

Wondering how the defender compares to the diono radian as well. We have radians. We have a new LO on the way and can'f quite fit the infant seat in with the two dionos. We have a 2001 Honda Civic and Scion xB. So two small cars
xin_ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
xin_ying
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1ncy View Post

Wondering how the defender compares to the diono radian as well. We have radians. We have a new LO on the way and can'f quite fit the infant seat in with the two dionos. We have a 2001 Honda Civic and Scion xB. So two small cars
xin_ying is offline   Reply With Quote