Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Elastic stretched and diapers leaking! Why?

My experimentation with chemicals vs heat:

When I washed on sanitary but with only oxyclean in the prewash and no Clorox at all, the diapers seemed fine. I lowered the time and temp on the dryer too. Everything was normal. Some staining but I always had some staining. The dipes smelled clean, even sniffing deeply.

Then, because you all seemed so against the sanitary cycle and its extra heat, I tried washing them on the hot cotton wash with cool rinse, adding prewash and rinse. Thus lowering the temp but keeping everything else the same as the previous time. EWWWWW. I lifted one diaper to my nose and smelled poop for the first time ever since she was born 17 months ago. Lifted another. Same thing. Not ok.

I put them all back into the washer and washed them on sanitary with no extra rinses, with a teeny scoop of Charlie's. they came out smelling fresh and clean. Most of the stains were gone.

I'm sorry, ladies, but I will have to keep using the sanitary. Heat is marvelous against germs. I will keep the dryer heat on medium but I really think diapers need either tons of chemicals (which then get into our babies' bloodstreams) or heat to kill the germs.

When I lived in Europe is when I learned about sanitary cycles. They were called kochwaeshe because it was like cooking or boiling the laundry. You were not allowed to buy bleach and most additives our detergents have are banned there. So really hot water was their weapon and it worked.

I do not like stinkies!

I don't want the elastic ruined either but I am going to hope it wasn't just the heat? Willing to cut down on the chemicals.

Advertisement

FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy View Post
Sanitary cycle is super harsh, I'd avoid that! A normal hot wash cycle is just fine to get diapers clean. Provided you do a good pre-rinse cycle.
I agree Ive over the course of diapering both my kids have rountinuely bleached dryer dried ect and none have ever done anything significantly damaging to diapers but I once wash some diapers jsut a few tiems in a sanitary cycle on someone elses machine and they totally leaked and got stretched out..
Also I actually find some CD "safe" detergents VERY harsh on diapers. Rock N Green ate holes in my diapers for example.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

what AIOs are they? you can have successful washing with just hot water and no excessive chemicals. I don't use anything except detergent except for a little splash of bleach about once every two weeks and thats mostly for my personal peace of mind that a necessity..

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I agree with everyone else, sanitary cycle isn't necessary,heavy spin cycle and hot dryer are probably to blame. Bleach isn't great for elastic but if you are going to keep anything from your routine the bleach and your detergent should be ok. This is one of the reasons I prefer pockets to AIOs, if I need to boil or strip inserts I don't have to worry about elastics or pul
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sanitary cycle with clorox and oxygen bleach every wash seems a little excessive and very harsh on your diapers.

did you try using both bleaches when you didn't wash on sanitary? It sounds like you have no detergent in there. You may not have used enough chemicals with cleaning with less hot water.

Also prerinse on warm Iheard this can help start breaking up the ew
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 01-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Plenty of mamas use bleach or oxyclean every single wash day. I doubt it is either of those.

Your particular machine (HE frontloader?) in COMBINATION with your particular diapers (AIOs) need sanitary heat to get them clean. You tried it without, changing nothing else, and they stank. Stink = bacteria

Sooo, either you will need to just mentally plan on having the elastic replaced every year, or get different dipes that can handle sanitary (pocket inserts, prefolds, flats, trifolds, AI2 inserts, anything without elastic), or get a different machine, or stop CDing.

Something to consider is all that electricity you are wasting getting your AIOs dry. 130-140 minutes in the dryer just for diapers--whew! Even if you are okay with just replacing the elastic every year, maybe consider line drying, for both your wallet and the environment.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use bleach, oxi clean, hot wash (NOT sanitary), regular detergent (arm and hammer), and dry on high in the dryer. I have never had elastic go bad. Ever. My guess is the sanitary cycle is the problem.

There are a lot of myths out there as far as what will ruin diapers because a person will have a problem and think it MUST have been X when really it had nothing to do with it.

I think you need a better detergent (a lot of mamas have stink problems with charlies) and use the regular hot wash instead of the sanitary.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #28
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

I would recommend getting rid of either the bleach or oxyclean and only using one, and then line drying if you feel the need to use the sanitary cycle. Extreme heat isn't good for the elastic, but neither is excessive heat. That's a ton of heat on the elastic, of course it's going to go out quicker, it would on your clothes too if you did that to them every time, if you like the softness of the dryer, then dry on no heat, low heat, or pop them in for a few minutes. You don't need to do a full cycle on medium heat.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #29
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all. I need to experiment with oxy and other detergents. I can't use the Tide style because we are sensitive. I can experiment a bit more with the regular hot cycles and not sanitary as well.

I've used pockets but I love AIOs for their ease. And I am not stopping cd'ingl. I'd rather replace the elastic each year. Eventually she will pt, lol.

We live in sunny SoCal but right now we are in our rainy and cold season. So I could be line drying to finish after a bit in the dryer, but not right now. I have cut way back on dryer time and heat.

I ment know how to get the pre wash warm. Not sure how to change the temp of it. Not sure what the temp f it even is. Assuming since it doesn't tell you that it's cold? LG front loader, anyone know?

Thinking of giving up Clorox bleach or maybe only using it in a pre wash every other week or something.

It is amazing how much difference the sanitary works to get any "poop smell" right out of the diaper. I will test more with cooler water just to make sure. Thanks so much, this thread has been so helpful. Will be back with more results.
FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #30
garness
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

have you tried just doing a regular hot wash, but just using more detergent. maybe you aren't using enough. just a thought