Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Please help me stay with cloth! (or, diaper rash woes)

DS is 9 months old and we have been using cloth for about 5 months now. He's got very sensitive skin and has had minor diaper rash pretty much the whole time. A few months ago we started using microfleece inserts (2 layers), which helped considerably. But he still had constant redness around the edges of the diaper area -- not so much on his bum as around his legs. We use prefolds and Flips and now, as I said, microfleece inserts. We change him about ever hour. I thought it might be the PUL but his back and tummy are not red where the cover touches them.

We're currently using disposables while we travel and DS is rash-free. It took some effort to get there and we're still using a barrier cream, but his skin does seem much better with the sposies.

So, how can we keep him rash-free when we get back to our cloth at home?

Advertisement

SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me stay with cloth! (or, diaper rash woes)

My son has very sensitive skin as well, but what keeps me using cloth is that no disposable I have tried offers good containment for him, and I get so frustrated cleaning up blowout and leaks that it keeps me using cloth, for the most part.

I need to keep his skin very dry or he will rash immediately.
1. I use mostly pocket diapers lined with suedecloth with 1 microfiber insert to draw moisture away quickly, layered with hemp or bamboo underneath the microfiber ( to lock the moisture in when it would otherwise move , by compression, back up and become moisture against his skin. I find that if I don't use microfiber at all, the diaper still feels wet to the touch upon removal sometimes. If I only use microfiber, with no natural fibers under it, then his skin will look all wrinkled when I take the diaper off (like it does after a long bath) because the moisture must be moving back up a bit. I know everyone hates microfiber because they hate washing it, but it really does work.

2. Every second day, I try to give him a good hour in just a fitted diaper with no cover to air his bum out. Naked time just isn't convenient here as it is so cold.

3. At night, I've had real problems as no diaper I have (either cloth or overnight disposable)can hold him past 4 hours (He is usually needing a feeding anyway, so I am already up so no biggie.) I am finding that now that he is bigger and taking in 9 ounces+ a feed, that the Poise pads I had bought for postpartum use, inside a fitted work pretty well....if I can't face waking up to change him every 3-4 hours. If I am using disposibles for the night, I will always take the opportunity to use a heavy barrier cream with zinc-oxide and calendula ointment and really lather him up then.

For my guy, prefolds or any natural fiber next to the skin, even with a fleece layer over top never helped. I just don't feel guilty about using one or two disposables every few days with heavy creams because it's what he needs.

I keep hoping his urinary output will decrease as he eats more solids but, if not, then I will be buying more Poise pads for nights when this pack I had on hand is done, because when I go back to work full-time I am going to need something that lets us both sleep 6 hours straight.

Don't feel guilty about having to spell off to sposies.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Tclem75
Registered Users
seller

We were having major issues in the begining. I started giving her a little naked time each day, along with drying her tush before I put a dipe back on her, then some CJs bun cream- and we haven't had a rash since!
Tclem75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

We use wool at night to help air him out. I'll have to try the hemp or bamboo inserts -- maybe the cotton just isn't enough? Not sure about microfiber, I've heard so much bad stuff about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Could it be the leg elastic area getting wet and irritating him?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
parterasd
Registered Users

Have you tried wool or fleece covers?
parterasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I think it might be the leg elastic area getting wet. How do I stop that? We're using newspaper folded prefolds. Now planning to try just tri-folding to see if that helps.

We use wool covers at night but haven't used them during the day so far. Why do you think that would help?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I think it might be the leg elastic area getting wet. How do I stop that? We're using newspaper folded prefolds. Now planning to try just tri-folding to see if that helps.

We use wool covers at night but haven't used them during the day so far. Why do you think that would help?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

First night back in cloth and... wow, redness! Any suggestions would be welcome!

Are 2 layers of microfleece sufficient to draw away moisture? Is there something else I could use?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
vivid
Registered Users
seller

My girl has the same problem around the leg openings. I had to give up on Flip covers because they just don't work for her. I just got some AMP pockets and so far they seem to work! No rash! I stuff them with flats (but your prefolds would work too). Nice stay dry inner that also has fleece around the legs so no PUL touches her.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote