Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me stay with cloth! (or, diaper rash woes)

What's AMP?

Advertisement

SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
croth7
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeThing View Post
What's AMP?
Annie Marie Padorie. Applecheeks would work the same as well. They are both pockets with a fleece inside instead of microsuede.

http://www.ampdiapers.com/

http://applecheeks.com/

Last edited by croth7; 01-09-2013 at 05:23 PM.
croth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
vivid
Registered Users
seller

I think AMP and AppleCheeks have the same design. The ruffled elastic legs are so soft!
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Bubblekids
Registered Users

My son always had a rash of some sort until we stopped using synthetic materials next to his skin. Now with natural fibres he's fine! We use bamboo or hemp boosters when we need extra absorbency. We had similar problems with our Flip covers too, so we just don't use them unless we run out of our Simplex dipes (no elastic casings around the legs to irritate his skin and the natural fibres have been wonderful - no repelling or build-up problems).
Bubblekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #15
SomeThing
Registered Users
seller

I'm dreading a switch from PFs and covers to pockets. Seems like a huge expense. Does anyone have suggestions for covers in which the PUL doesn't touch the skin? I know I've seen them somewhere but can't think of the names now....

Also, it seems like most of the pocket diapers (Fuzzibunz, BG, etc) have the inner fleece layer all the way out to the leg ruffles so the PUL doesn't directly touch the skin. Is that true? If so, what's special about Applecheeks and AMP?

Last edited by SomeThing; 01-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.
SomeThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a rash that comes and goes on my DD, almost 9 months now. It is on her inner thigh, and only on one side so I think somehow her skin got sensitized at some point. I'm playing around with different diapers to see what triggers it- just pulled out my bsww covers to try instead of flips which had been my go to diaper. We're all cotton (flats, prefolds, BG organics), and most of the time it works so I'm sticking with it. I just use a little triple paste when she starts to look red. Love that stuff!

eta I think stacinator so simple have nice fleecy leg openings.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

Just to throw this out there, I was having major rash problems and turns out it was the Tide and the fact that my front loader wasn't rinsing the detergent all the way out. Stripped the diapers, changed to country save, and added more rinses to my wash routine and we are rash free.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Mrs. Shawn
Registered Users
seller

I am in a similar situation. Have tried natural fibers and microfleece. Today my daughter went to the pediatrician and has a yeast rash which the doc said was due to moisture. I keep having to buy more sposies just to be able to apply creams. I'm thinking I should just stick to sposies. Sigh.
Mrs. Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

is the diaper detergent different than baby clothes? Could it be a sensitivity to that? Could be minor buildup in general.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Using Lanisoh as a barrier cream could help a ton, and it's cloth diaper safe (it dissolves in warm water).

You might need breathability ... fleece is a low-maintenance alternative to wool. PUL isn't really very breathable.

BG pockets, at least the older ones, don't have PUL against the skin the way the Flips do. It's the microsuede inner that mostly touches the skin. You might look for some of those on FSOT.

Doing 2 layers of microfleece might make the problem worse ... It takes time for moisture to penetrate fleece and other "stay dry" fabrics, so putting 2 layers might be subjecting your LO to a puddle while it soaks in. Better to add more absorbency, that's the only thing that keeps the moisture from soaking back through the fleece.

When we get rashy stuff around the legs it's usually a detergent issue, solved by switching to Country Save or Biokleen liquid. Soap-based detergents and Tide are our worst offenders.

Green Acre Designs makes pocket diapers that keep fleece against the skin around the legs, too. They have PUL or fleece outers, with fleece inners.