Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #51
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to start enforcing meals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
I'm probably the odd one but we all graze during the day. There are no set mealtimes aside from dinner. I think that set mealtimes aren't good for you because then your body gets used to eating at a certain time. Because of this, your body automatically starts the digestive process around those times. Your stomach starts to rumble and you feel hungry, but if your body is used to eating at those times your stomach will rumble even if you just ate an hour before. So in my house, the girls and I eat when we feel hungry. They don't overeat, they choose what they want to eat (within reason) and we all eat dinner together. I realize that probably wasn't very helpful, but I guess I am trying to say that we all eat ,like that, so I don't see it as an issue. I think 23 months is a little young to expect to be completely on schedule.
I'm with you on this

OP-the stuff your little one is picking is, for the most part, pretty healthy (well, unless its sugar packed cereal?) and while it may not be the greatest variety, I don't really see it to be a big deal at this age. Keep offering a variety of stuff for snacks to help round out the diet, and let your little eat when he's hungry. Keep healthy stuff around and you won't have to worry about him eating stuff that's not good for him (not saying you're keeping unhealthy stuff around). Have you tried letting him choose new foods at the store to try? At that age, when my kids were their pickiest with food, I would take them to the grocery store & farmer's market with me and let them pick out new fruits & veggies they wanted to try. Always seemed like if they were involved in picking it out and preparing it, they were more likely to at least TRY it...maybe not like it, but at least it was getting them to try something new, kwim?

I personally would rather my kids graze on a few select foods throughout the day than not eat at all because they aren't eating the "right" things at the "right" time. I battle with my family about this constantly...they are all very much the type (towards children) where you eat at certain times and you clear your plate whether you like everything on it or not. I'm not going to force my children to eat anything they don't want, but I do encourage them to try it and will keep offering over time in hopes that they will eventually try it. If they're not hungry, I'm not going to force them to eat. If they are hungry, I'm going to feed them, even if its not the "right" time during the day.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #52
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
I'm probably the odd one but we all graze during the day. There are no set mealtimes aside from dinner. I think that set mealtimes aren't good for you because then your body gets used to eating at a certain time. Because of this, your body automatically starts the digestive process around those times. Your stomach starts to rumble and you feel hungry, but if your body is used to eating at those times your stomach will rumble even if you just ate an hour before. So in my house, the girls and I eat when we feel hungry. They don't overeat, they choose what they want to eat (within reason) and we all eat dinner together. I realize that probably wasn't very helpful, but I guess I am trying to say that we all eat ,like that, so I don't see it as an issue. I think 23 months is a little young to expect to be completely on schedule.
Yup, that's what we believe too
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #53
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my daughter is 2 1/2 and I still let her eat what she wishes and when. they are too young to understand and their body has different needs constantly. one day my kid eats ALL DAY LONG and tons and 3 days later she maybe eats 3 bites of food all day. so I just go with it. not worth the fight/hassle for me

and I agree with daleswidda.
I have hypoglycemia so I need to eat small snacks all day or my sugar level falls too low and I'm at risk for diabetes. I also notice when I eat more small meals often, I stay skinnier. so its a win win

Last edited by homebirthmom; 01-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #54
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Today my 2 year old has had 1/2 a banana (baby ate other half) and broccoli tops, a biggie of about 6grapes (I break them up into snack bags.for easy grabbing), she split a shredded chicken, cheese, and black bean whole wheat burrito with me, and then she ate some cooked edamame with me before nap.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #55
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Today my 2 year old has had 1/2 a banana (baby ate other half) and broccoli tops, a biggie of about 6grapes (I break them up into snack bags.for easy grabbing), she split a shredded chicken, cheese, and black bean whole wheat burrito with me, and then she ate some cooked edamame with me before nap.
Sounds good
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
Lillikin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2 yr old would snack all day if I let her, about 4-6 months ago I started limiting snacks after 3:30 or 4 o'clock because she would no longer eat what was put before her at dinner. This worked well for us, and the only times I give in are if we will be eating later than normal and/or it's something like spaghetti that I know she won't pass up. We have had to be firm with her on rare occasions and tell her she will be able to eat breakfast in the morning.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

We both WOH, so the only meal that we can conceivable eat together is dinner on the nights my DH is home with us. Therefore, it is VERY important to our family that we sit together as a family for these dinners. We prepare one meal and include something everyone likes. They can eat or not. If they are hungry later, they can have leftovers.

During the days they are not with either of us, they follow the schedule of the childcare providers. When we are home, we basically prepare one breakfast, one lunch, and if they choose not to eat, they can eat the leftovers from that meal later. If they eat dinner and want a healthy snack between meals, that's fine, too.

My 2 year old has sat down for meals with us since 18 months or maybe longer. Whether the kids are actually eating or not, they have no problems sitting with us for dinner.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #58
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mine has a pit. She will eat snack and still eat dinner usually. Loves fruits. um I think as long as they are getting did it's good. I would still try to get them to east at same times as everyone else.older kidI usually do eat what giVen or not eat, or make something themselves.