Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
L&MsMamma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am not a minimalist nor am I likely to truly ever be, but I would like to at least start heading in that direction and whatever happens I definitely have a lot of stuff that needs to go so ill join in too. Thanks for giving me the motivation to start purging a little at a time

I'm sure there are waaay more items in my cleaning supplies that need to go but things are crazy at my house right now so I got rid of a few things and I'm calling it a win!

1.old toothbrush for cleaning
1. 2 old cleaning sponges
3. Pair of cracked cleaning gloves
4. Bottle of windex (I have been using natural cleaners for years and it was still under there!)
5. Grout cleaner I've never even seen before

Advertisement

L&MsMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
Grant'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 1/7-1/11

I got rid of a bottle brush and old scrub brush and replaced it with a brush that serves both purposes also tossed the goo gone and furniture polish. All that's left is orange vinegar, 2 magic erasers and a scrub brush and bottle of dr. Bronners
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&MsMamma View Post
I am not a minimalist nor am I likely to truly ever be, but I would like to at least start heading in that direction and whatever happens I definitely have a lot of stuff that needs to go so ill join in too. Thanks for giving me the motivation to start purging a little at a time

I'm sure there are waaay more items in my cleaning supplies that need to go but things are crazy at my house right now so I got rid of a few things and I'm calling it a win!

1.old toothbrush for cleaning
1. 2 old cleaning sponges
3. Pair of cracked cleaning gloves
4. Bottle of windex (I have been using natural cleaners for years and it was still under there!)
5. Grout cleaner I've never even seen before
Welcome! A little at a time can really add up! Don't feel bad about "only" getting a certain amount or having more to do. You can always go back and do more later, but the nice thing about these challenges is that they shouldn't feel overwhelming. They should be fun and fairly quick. When I have extra time I like to purge as much as possible from areas that really need it, but sometimes it's hard to do with little ones in the house. But I can always find a few minutes to look at an area to see if I can get rid of a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant'sMommy View Post
I got rid of a bottle brush and old scrub brush and replaced it with a brush that serves both purposes also tossed the goo gone and furniture polish. All that's left is orange vinegar, 2 magic erasers and a scrub brush and bottle of dr. Bronners
Awesome!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tuesday 1.8.13:

I don't keep much in my purse but I tossed an old pen top, one receipt, an old piece of gum, put a cuticle remover back in the bathroom, and a few spare pill packs back in the medicine cabient.

I don't have a diaper bag so nothing to purge there. I wish I had more to get rid of
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

1.07.12: I went out of order and cleaned out my purse yesterday since I've been wanting to switch out wallets.
1. A ton of receipts
2. A couple business cards
3. Some suckers
4. Other misc. wrappers
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Monday 1.7.13: Purge 5 items from your cleaning supplies. I only got three items from here. Part of a mop (apparently I forgot to throw this away last time, an empty bottle and pack of swiffer sweeper replacements for my MIL.) We just went through this stuff about two weeks ago though, so that's why.

Tuesday 1.8.13: Purge 5 items from your purse and/or diaper bag.
- 20 so far.* And, now my diaper bags are nice and ready for our next trip.. except the big one. That's in the washer because my cat has a death wish. Seriously, who pees on a ju ju be?

Wednesday 1.9.13: Purge 5 items from kids' closets.
I just sized her up a week ago, so all of the purging is done. I'm still occasionally pulling 12 month stuff out of the clean laundry though. Found 2 more in the laundry.

Thursday 1.10.13: Purge 5 items from your children's toys and books.
6 books pulled! And 10 to go into the Christmas box.

Friday 1.11.13: Purge 5 items from your diapering supplies. Just sent a ffs box of 18 diapers that I inherited from my Aunt... possibly sending another 18 today.

ETA - Thank you like a million times for today's (1-8) challenge. I began emptying my diaper bag and found that the cat had just peed in it. If I hadn't done the challenge, it would have been several days before I discovered it and the bag would be ruined.

Last edited by hbee; 01-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
Tuesday 1.8.13:
I don't have a diaper bag so nothing to purge there. I wish I had more to get rid of
No way, that's a GOOD thing if you don't need to or can't do a challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
Tuesday 1.8.13: Purge 5 items from your purse and/or diaper bag.
- 20 so far.* And, now my diaper bags are nice and ready for our next trip.. except the big one. That's in the washer because my cat has a death wish. Seriously, who pees on a ju ju be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
ETA - Thank you like a million times for today's (1-8) challenge. I began emptying my diaper bag and found that the cat had just peed in it. If I hadn't done the challenge, it would have been several days before I discovered it and the bag would be ruined.
haha, you're welcome! Sorry it happened, but you made me laugh!

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Monday:
I'm skipping this. We keep only cleaning supplies we use & I can't afford to throw anything out because I clean a couple homes on a regular basis to supplement DH's income.

Tuesday:
I clean out my diaper bag daily, but I threw away more than 5 items from the basket that all of that miscellaneous diaper bag junk goes into.
I also cleaned out from under one of the kitchen counters that has been accumulating junk for months. Found DH's favorite lunch box & threw out a trash bag full of stuff - a ton of old receipts, a humidifier, rotting wood, rusted nails, random playing cards, broken games. It felt great!
Throwing out all of our DVD cases today. We keep most of our DVDs in a folder anyways. DS just loves to pull out all the moves & DH has been telling me to do something with the cases for a couple days.

Wednesday: Kid's Closet
I pulled 2 Jackets, 2 rompers, a pair of undies (DS is still in diapers), a hat and 6 shirts!
*I need to do this to my closet as well*

Thursday: Toys
You're right Minimalism is something I want for my son and he never plays with these toys anyway. So sick of picking up this junk! Got rid of about 25 toys, mostly things we have duplicates of. We really could toss a lot more, but it makes me feel bad.

Friday: Diapers
So I know that this isn't technically getting rid of these, but I'm taking 18 PFs, 4 PUL covers, 3 wetbags & 4 snappis to my moms to use when we're over there so we don't have to haul dipes all the time.
Throwing away all our pins because we never use them.
I sold 6 fitteds & a wool cover today! 2 more fitteds and 2 woolies listed as well. However, I got 5 new pockets yesterday and a ton of wool wash today, so this may not be going in the right direction.

Last edited by NewMommy6111; 01-08-2013 at 06:47 PM.
NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm doing these out of order and clustered together offset the days I won't have time at home this week.

Cleaning supplies: We're pretty bare bones. There are a few commercial cleaners I'd like to donate, but if dh helps clean that's all he'll use. Don't want to deter him from helping, now do we?
3 sponges, toothbrush and old kid's paint brush (getting in coffee maker crevices)

Toys/books: 35 toys and 31 books (shhh...don't tell dh) all are well-hidden in a rubbermaid container and will go in a consignment sale this spring.

Diaper bag: 3 crayons, a hair tie, button to pants I donated several months ago, small notebook. Also put a pencil and 2 pens back in the office drawer.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I cleaned out my purse and got rid of 6 things (a little bottle of lotion, a pouch thingy, a lip gloss, a pack of post-its, a lanyard, and a stack of coupons and receipts). I'd like to look at my diaper bag tomorrow, but I keep it pretty clean so it will be more about stocking it with stuff instead of cleaning it out (but who knows?).

I also got rid of 7 small toys from Christmas, and a book. I have more I want to go through, but I'm feeling good about the toy situation in our downstairs play area. I sorted a lot and brought some books and puzzles and other toys upstairs, and I will reevaluate everything as I go through the kids' rooms and put things away.

2,014 items in 2014?