Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
doodlebugs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ways of dispiline..

we have 3 strong willed children and it just seems like we need to try something different..they are always testing me and annoying each other..ages are 2 1/2,almost 5 and then 13 yr girl with and attitude..just looking for options that u ladies use that work on these age children..thanks

Advertisement

doodlebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

"Transforming the difficult child"
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
ccserrano
Registered Users
seller

No advice but I'm having the same problem... I have a 2 yo dd and a 13 yo dd also, so I know just the attitude you're talking about! It's horrible!

Can't wait to get some recommendations!
ccserrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: ways of dispiline..

I have found that with mine, a lot of it has to do with how much energy they burn off. They need to stay active. Attitudes and behavior are also better when they each get regular one-on-one time with DH and myself (not us as a couple, but each of us).

I have found that for my kids, taking away privileges works the best. You need to decide the rules, let them know them, and follow through with consequences.

ETA: We have also been working with our oldest (12 yr old girl) on her attitude. She has her good days and bad days. I try to pinpoint what is causing the bad attitude. For instance, she's already started her period, and it comes about the same time as mine, so I can usually tell if her attitude is due to hormonal changes. I have been very open with her about the changes that happen at that time of the month, but she's still too young to really have any control over it. The maturity just isn't there yet. I try to let some things slide because frankly, if I called her on everything, there would be some days I wouldn't say a positive thing to her. Being open with her about what we expect, why we expect it, etc, has really helped her. It is still a struggle and that child has put me in tears multiple times, but I can see her trying.

Last edited by tallanvor; 01-06-2013 at 08:38 PM.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: ways of dispiline..

For the younger ones (2-5), I make them play by themselves for a bit, separate them. If they are showing anger or aggression, they sit next to me until they calm down. Talk about it if they want to, apologize to eachother, etc.

Older ones (5+) I will make them write sentences. They will lose privileges (XBox, etc.). If they are picking on another sibling, they have to be that siblings slave for an hour (within reason). If they are showing ME attitude, or are disrespectful, they will clean until they can calm down and are ready to talk about it.

A lot of the time, when I send them off to sit by themselves for a bit (either in their bed, or somewhere else), they come back feeling better, and it's a non-issue for awhile afterwards. With three boys... it gets hard for me, lol.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote