Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's hard mama. But is normal. And you might be surprised at how much you miss it when she weans.
I remember being in years one night because ds kept waking me up night after night, hour after hour. I was exhausted, as I still had to get up with older ds in the mornings. But he quit nursing a year ago as of January 3rd( he was 3). Now I am lucky to get a hug and a kiss at night sometimes.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I have become what I never wanted to become...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorajoan View Post
The Doctor said today (at her month late 6 month appoinment) that I should move her to another room and if she cries, let her cry for 10 minutes and then go into her. She weighs 20 pounds and the dr said she definitely doesn't need to eat - she's just gotten into the habit of wanting to, so I shouldn't do it at night time. I have never let her cry for more than about 3 or 4 minutes. I can't stand it. Anyone have input about this advice? I've just been bringing her into bed with me and letting her nurse because I've been so exhausted lately, which I know has not helped...
Yup, standard doctor night weaning suggestion. Pesonally, I couldn't do it at 6 months. I couldn't even do at 12 months. I only started night weaning at 2 years old. However, I'm not you. Night weaning really does work for some kids, but I woulnd't try it while DD is teething. The transition is also just as exhausting, if not more tiring, as nursing in the middle of the night.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I have become what I never wanted to become...

I did not nurse my guy but he is ADDICTED to the bottle. My doctor said the same thing to me and I just couldn't do it while he was teething. The easiest way to know if they are in pain or hungry versus just needing comfort is if you pick them up and they quiet right away. If they don't, then they are hungry in pain etc, if they quiet down right away you know that they don't "need" anything. It might make it easier to put her down.

I am also a first time mom and I know ALL about second guessing yourself. Go with your gut and take parenting advice from your ped with a grain of salt. Hugs! I'll probably be up at 4 tonight with my guy so ill check in and see if you're screaming from the rooftops on here! .
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorajoan View Post
The Doctor said today (at her month late 6 month appoinment) that I should move her to another room and if she cries, let her cry for 10 minutes and then go into her. She weighs 20 pounds and the dr said she definitely doesn't need to eat - she's just gotten into the habit of wanting to, so I shouldn't do it at night time. I have never let her cry for more than about 3 or 4 minutes. I can't stand it. Anyone have input about this advice? I've just been bringing her into bed with me and letting her nurse because I've been so exhausted lately, which I know has not helped...
My YDS is 9mo and went through this a month or two ago. It will pass. Don't night wean just because the doctor says to, unless its also what you want.

7mo is frankly too young to CIO anyway, IMO, and I'm a Ferber fan. Not that 10 minutes of crying will hurt her but why put her through it?

It will get better, mama.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote